Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Posts for 2018 on this topic are here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1885680-mgc-sam-s-club-2018-a.html

Always test one gc before buying too many that you cannot liquidate.

As of 6/2017:

HB Vanilla mc & visa issued by Bancorp - liquidate at PO or some grocery stores, not WM. The Bancorp gcs are easier to liquidate.

Vanilla mc issued by MetaBank - might be able to liquidate at Kmart BP, Paypal, not WM or PO.
Print Wikipost

MGC at Sam's Club(2016-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
This may have been answered previously but could I use my Sam's GC to buy a Mastercard GC? (or any other brand of GC)
Thanks
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by noturbizniss
+1. I do them back to back to back. I have had 99% success doing that, only one card didn't get the full 20%.

Also, instead of doing the last one as $250, do it as $500 and split pay on 2 cards. so 5X$500 MC on 2 amex cards.
Even if you only have 1 card (left), you should split pay as the cost per point decreases.
We did b2b2b in 500, 450, 350 on each SPG - just to make sure not to leave chance to trigger fraud alert given the SC is already very flustered. Did not know it could be split paid.
Full credit posted.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Happy
We did b2b2b in 500, 450, 350 on each SPG - just to make sure not to leave chance to trigger fraud alert given the SC is already very flustered. Did not know it could be split paid.
Full credit posted.
Any particular reason for buying $1.300 rather than $1,250?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pkerr
Any particular reason for buying $1.300 rather than $1,250?
An extra $50 does not make or break the deal - but it is easier for ME to keep track of the cards, AND much less chance to trigger fraud alert when if buying $500, $500, $500 b2b2b on the same register. If you want to be exactly at $1250 charge total you would need to factor in the activation fee too... just sayin.

The goal is to make the damn thing going as smooth as possible. You get enough overage from AMEX so a few bucks here and there does not make any difference.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:04 pm

An extra $50 does not make or break the deal - but it is easier for ME to keep track of the cards, AND much less chance to trigger fraud alert when if buying $500, $500, $500 b2b2b on the same register. If you want to be exactly at $1250 charge total you would need to factor in the activation fee too... just sayin.

The goal is to make the damn thing going as smooth as possible. You get enough overage from AMEX so a few bucks here and there does not make any difference.
Totally agree.. was just curious.
And would you happen to know if one can buy Mastercar GC or others such things with Sam's GC?
Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pkerr
Totally agree.. was just curious.
And would you happen to know if one can buy Mastercar GC or others such things with Sam's GC?
Thanks
NO. No GC or any kind. Not even Sam's own GC.

Merchandises only.

If you will spend that kind of money either at Sam's or at WalMart - I have seen Sam's / WalMart gift card could be loaded up to $1K.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:32 pm

Thanks for the info...
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:46 pm

NO. No GC or any kind. Not even Sam's own GC.

Merchandises only.

If you will spend that kind of money either at Sam's or at WalMart - I have seen Sam's / WalMart gift card could be loaded up to $1K.

This is incorrect. I have used my Sam's gc's to purchase starbucks and other retail gift cards at Walmart.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doubleheader
This is incorrect. I have used my Sam's gc's to purchase starbucks and other retail gift cards at Walmart.
Then count yourself lucky since you have a better store policy than the stores in my area.

The 3 Sam's locations in my immediate area have changed to CASH ONLY on ANY card shortly after the AMEX offer, and they even cited the change was due to the AMEX offer. Before that they allowed buying 3rd party and their own with CC, except the Gebits. Then they changed shortly after they learned about the AMEX offer.
The 1 Sam's location that we drove quite a distance to (in another county), allowed CC purchase all the gift cards but NO gift card can be bought with Sam's gift card or 3rd party gift card.

You can read this post right on this thread as another example on some locations are debit/cash only.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27441789-post260.html

<<Unfortunately, all of the SC locations in South FL went to debit/cash only for all prepaids and gift cards (including their own, 3d party retail in small amounts, etc).>>

ALL the WalMarts in my immediate area have been CASH / DEBIT ONLY on any gift cards since 2 years ago.

It is always YMMV depending on your own locale. There are enough different DPs cited in this thread. Anyone wants to use Sam's GC to buy 3rd party gift cards should test the water first, and always keep in mind policy could change overnight as evidenced by the local Sam's in my area.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 4, 2016 at 2:15 pm
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
I finally received my refund check yesterday, for $500.00. I understand some companies refund the fee, but apparently this one does not.

On a separate note, what's the current success rate of using the variables at USPS? The fixed ones worked fine for me (and at KR, but that's no longer an option).
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:20 pm

Then count yourself lucky since you have a better store policy than the stores in my area.

The 3 Sam's locations in my immediate area have changed to CASH ONLY on ANY card shortly after the AMEX offer, and they even cited the change was due to the AMEX offer. Before that they allowed buying 3rd party and their own with CC, except the Gebits. Then they changed shortly after they learned about the AMEX offer.
The 1 Sam's location that we drove quite a distance to (in another county), allowed CC purchase all the gift cards but NO gift card can be bought with Sam's gift card or 3rd party gift card.

You can read this post right on this thread as another example on some locations are debit/cash only.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27441789-post260.html

<<Unfortunately, all of the SC locations in South FL went to debit/cash only for all prepaids and gift cards (including their own, 3d party retail in small amounts, etc).>>

ALL the WalMarts in my immediate area have been CASH / DEBIT ONLY on any gift cards since 2 years ago.

It is always YMMV depending on your own locale. There are enough different DPs cited in this thread. Anyone wants to use Sam's GC to buy 3rd party gift cards should test the water first, and always keep in mind policy could change overnight as evidenced by the local Sam's in my area.
Just bought another starbucks card today. I thought I read that someone had purchased online gift cards with a sams clubs gfc also. Prepaids are hard coded though. Cashier tried but no luck.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Carl
On a separate note, what's the current success rate of using the variables at USPS?
I had no issues last week. Planning on going back tomorrow to get rid of my remaining 2 $500s
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:13 pm

Anyone had success buying MCGC with credit in southern FL? Both stores near me insist cash / debit only.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Spiral1
Anyone had success buying MCGC with credit in southern FL? Both stores near me insist cash / debit only.
I tried at Coral Springs a few days ago and no dice, cash/debit only.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by Spiral1
No luck on South East FL Sams. But in Middle of Nowhere Mid West Sams, they sell me anything, as long as they do one $500 MCGC per transaction

Now that I lost $0.69 and sometimes $0.30 Cent MO at Krogy, I have to pay a little more at the USPS

Max out my and my SO's Freedoms 5% Cat for the year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.