Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500¹ spend in a reward year², you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases³ (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

¹ First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

³ 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by NetBrowser07
With use of Paypal cards bought CVS causing issues (in large quantities), where is everyone using this particular CC?
Walgreens. Pumping the hell out of the Vanillas

They are definitely a pain (but far from impossible) to liquidate
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:45 am

With use of Paypal cards bought CVS causing issues (in large quantities), where is everyone using this particular CC?

I am not. My OBC is in my drawer for now. I won't go to Ralphs for USbank VGC with all the fraud that is going on. Safeway/Vons was my best option, but now they pulled the cards from their shelves. I guess you can go to CVS and get Vanilla GC, and get MO at the Post Office. I am not eager to go this route.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

I go to XXX to get GC then take those to YYY to get MO. Fill in all variables with your local stores.

Even if we told you it wouldn't necessarily mean it would work where you are.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:13 am

Grocery stores
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:21 am

Is there a way to see the activity of the cash back? Specifically, how much was earned each month? I can only find the order transactions.

My last statement closed just over 2 weeks ago. Looks like people are reporting 16 days now...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by sosamo
I am not. My OBC is in my drawer for now. I won't go to Ralphs for USbank VGC with all the fraud that is going on. Safeway/Vons was my best option, but now they pulled the cards from their shelves. I guess you can go to CVS and get Vanilla GC, and get MO at the Post Office. I am not eager to go this route.

Same. Worst part is I'm uncapped until the end of the month. It's taunting me...

Btw vanilla still works at Krog and affiliates unless things changed recently.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: UA
Statement closed on Jan 27th, bonus is still not posted. It takes so long.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:28 pm

Same thing here... 16 days seems like an eternity!

Originally Posted by beyond986
Statement closed on Jan 27th, bonus is still not posted. It takes so long.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:42 pm

They probably moved it because they tired of people contacting them to try and get their rewards applied to their present balance due.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:48 am

My statement also closed on the 27th and still no cash back posted...da struggle is real.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:47 am

So, is it 16 calendar days or 16 business days?

It looks like for those that have had their statements close on 1/27 (including me), it is going on 18 calendar days ....
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:07 am

My statement closed on the 26th, paid off my balance, still no rewards.
19 days as of today.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by Zgirl
My statement closed on the 26th, paid off my balance, still no rewards.
19 days as of today.
me too.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
LOL, Amex is just playing with us . I still do a couple thousands a month on OBC via supermarkets. And yes, closed on the 27 and like all of you, still no sign of my rewards (balance was paid in full immediately after closing).

Well, we ll have to see if now it is a 3 month wait for cash rewards
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: UA
19 days, still not posted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.