Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
Just logged into my Barclaycard account.

Barclay Arrival + closed - Account balance 33000
Barclay AA - closed
Barclay AA (2nd) - open

I called customer service and they mentioned that credit department closed for the day but can call tomorrow.

Any suggested strategy to let me keep the barclay arrival plus open with low limit (1000$) so i can keep using it and show good behavior as well as allow me to use my points.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Now, now - if MS spending is illegitimate then the blame is on the parent bank's failure to get married to ethics before producing so many offspring cards.
Since people aren't breaking any laws MSing, banks are now making MS even harder. I'm sure they are worried that something is happening that might cause an audit and the banks don't want to deal with that. so losing a couple hundred customers in which they aren't making any money on is better then dealing with audits.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:49 pm

Anyone have DPs or advice on MS (Simon Mall) and WM billpay with Barclay's? Been hitting my Arrival+ pretty hard the past few months (30kish per month mostly paid off via $1998.12 WM BP) as I didn't care too much about shutdown risk, but now that they will be issuing AA cards with EQD waiver I am re-evaluating my risk tolerance.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:57 am
jk2

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Anyone have DPs or advice on MS (Simon Mall) and WM billpay with Barclay's? Been hitting my Arrival+ pretty hard the past few months (30kish per month mostly paid off via $1998.12 WM BP) as I didn't care too much about shutdown risk, but now that they will be issuing AA cards with EQD waiver I am re-evaluating my risk tolerance.
I advise you to stop immediately, pay off your balance, redeem all points and close your Arrival+ card. Sooner or later they will find out...
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: Several dozen
Meh - as an old auditor (and banker) I say banks need more, not less audits. As we learned from Wells Fargo - banks have got nothing to hide.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Since people aren't breaking any laws MSing, banks are now making MS even harder. I'm sure they are worried that something is happening that might cause an audit and the banks don't want to deal with that. so losing a couple hundred customers in which they aren't making any money on is better then dealing with audits.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:25 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
HK's bank regulator spoke out against banks overdoing AML http://www.hkma.gov.hk/eng/key-infor...20161031.shtml

During a regular review as part of the bank’s CDD process, a Hong Kong company engaging in trading business on the Mainland for over 30 years was asked to explain the source of its start-up capital, despite the fact that the bank account had been in operation for more than two decades. In another example, a retired public officer, who had been classified as a high risk customer, applied for a supplementary credit card for his elderly family member, and the bank required that family member to fill in a 10-page CDD form and even provide a copy of the spouse’s will as a proof of the source of wealth. In another case, a political figure was asked to provide a huge amount of age-old information and documents, again as proofs of his source of wealth, even though he only maintained an account for his mandatory provident fund contributions, at just some $1,000 each month.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:27 am

How are u doing 30k a month? Is it multiple cards?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
How are u doing 30k a month? Is it multiple cards?
AU cards and you can BP both MC and Barclay directly (so 20k/mo per card/AU).
Old Dec 6, 2016, 11:13 am
Suspended

all for a 1% net (slightly more)after all the time and hassle involved I stopped MSing my Arrival, just not left with enough to justify it YMMV
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by craz
all for a 1% net (slightly more)after all the time and hassle involved I stopped MSing my Arrival, just not left with enough to justify it YMMV
Generally agree but it's an easy way to double my "productivity" in terms of VGCs liquidated per WM MO trip (limited to one MO transaction so I do 2k MO (to pay off more valuable MS cards than Arrival+), 2k BP). Wouldn't bother if it was just MSing Arrival miles.

Have a few more travel charges I want to MS away on the Arrival but then will cancel and maybe pickup a Fidelity 2% card to continue MS (since they have literally no other cards I would care about getting shutdown on).
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:22 am

Generally agree but it's an easy way to double my "productivity" in terms of VGCs liquidated per WM MO trip (limited to one MO transaction so I do 2k MO (to pay off more valuable MS cards than Arrival+), 2k BP). Wouldn't bother if it was just MSing Arrival miles.

Have a few more travel charges I want to MS away on the Arrival but then will cancel and maybe pickup a Fidelity 2% card to continue MS (since they have literally no other cards I would care about getting shutdown on).
Fidelity is issued by Elan Financial, which US Bank, so you'd be risking getting shutdown by US Bank. Might still be worth it, since US Bank is pain.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:07 pm

Once I get my new Chase SW cards I'm gonna get the EQD waiver card. Don't you do the $1 3-day bcard billpay?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:00 pm

AU cards and you can BP both MC and Barclay directly (so 20k/mo per card/AU).
Wow. Didn't realize that barckay issues different account numbers for AUs. Wonder if i can get an AU with my name on it.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
Wow. Didn't realize that barclay issues different account numbers for AUs. Wonder if i can get an AU with my name on it.
I did. I add or delete my middle initial to the au cards

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Dec 10, 2016 at 11:39 pm Reason: fix quote formatting
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski
Once I get my new Chase SW cards I'm gonna get the EQD waiver card. Don't you do the $1 3-day bcard billpay?
I do both now (for awhile just did next day 1.88 MC payments). My AF is gonna post at end of this month though so will probably cancel card after that. Hopefully the Aviator cards open to new applications in early January.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.