Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So... What's left?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by nfpa70e
MS shutting down is after all not a bad thing. DOn't have to worry about signing up for so many cards, so many accounts. The greed becomes uncontrollable and is akin to addiction. Then there is, if you have to move out, buy house apply for mortgage etc, it could pose so challenges. While the tap is on, it is difficult to resist.
i dont get you ppl saying this is a positive.. 'money' for small effort going away isnt good... if youre gonna go before underwriter clean up for a 2 month cycle and resume upon close...
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
honestly this is great. I can now close my 23 bluebirds that I have and enjoy the miles I have built up over the years. Greed was getting the best of me and was really not enjoying going to walmart all the time. This is a nice way for me to get my life back on track.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GLD
It means that people will have to start earning miles and points the old fashion way, by actually putting their butt in a seat flying and staying at hotels.

It was nice while it lasted, but the days people doing $100-150K of spend and the accumulating 300-400K of points/miles through MS are over/numbered.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SW Companion
I've read so much on FT over the years and with this new hurdle of bluebird/serve I have come up with a new MS avenue.....powerball is now 800 mil
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by cmlsu
I've read so much on FT over the years and with this new hurdle of bluebird/serve I have come up with a new MS avenue.....powerball is now 800 mil
ha ha ha DH and I were just talking about that. we can 'survive' with 400M payoff.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SW Companion
Originally Posted by Mamibear
ha ha ha DH and I were just talking about that. we can 'survive' with 400M payoff.
With my powerball winnings I will create a bill pay service strictly for ms'ers
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:21 pm

YMMV.

Last edited by Chelski; Jan 30, 2016 at 9:07 pm
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:39 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by edwards183
It means that people will have to start earning miles and points the old fashion way, by actually putting their butt in a seat flying and staying at hotels.

It was nice while it lasted, but the days people doing $100-150K of spend and the accumulating 300-400K of points/miles through MS are over/numbered.
A problem is that the manufactured spending (and credit card churning) helped create the massive levels of seat and room redemptions, as well as the massive level of currently unredeemed miles and points, that likely contributed to the devaluation of these miles/points as a result of the airlines & hotels raising the redemption levels. So paid flights and hotel stays will not mean much in terms of future accumulations, since those future accumulations will only "buy" a fraction of what they once did.

Perhaps Flyertalk members should prepare a summary of how this all happened and how it has now ended to try to encourage them to rollback the increases to reward redemptions. Those redemption increases were based on the assumption that a very large number of new miles/points would be issued every year. And these many declines in manufactured spending opportunities will alter those expectations of issuances.

Speaking of manufactured spending and rollbacks (WalMart), I was stunned that the term "manufactured spend" actually appeared in a legal document (the terms and conditions of Bluebird that was used to close accounts). I remember reading one of the more likeable blogs in which the blogger joked that he had invented that term. And now something no one had heard of a few years ago has become a real term in an actual legal document.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edwards183

But, as you may actually know, such a strategy wouldn't even work any more. Airlines don't even give you a mile for every mile you fly anymore, and hotel stays are rarely lucrative from a mileage earning standpoint.

It is also annoying to read the comments here by people who would wish everyone shut up about the remaining MS options. That's greed, folks. Of course, I do sympathize with their concerns, since there's really no alternative that can handle the zillions of dollars of MS that are no longer available through BB/Serve.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingBear
ZOICKS! Man I am such a small time player. lol
Pffft. If you load BB fully every month, that's 60k a year.

Or, it was.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toxicity
There will undoubtedly be a few geniuses who do exactly that. Someone has already done it in this very thread.
Replace the sarcastic "genius" with "non-selfish person" and you'll be correct.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Andy2
A problem is that the manufactured spending (and credit card churning) helped create the massive levels of seat and room redemptions, as well as the massive level of currently unredeemed miles and points, that likely contributed to the devaluation of these miles/points as a result of the airlines & hotels raising the redemption levels. So paid flights and hotel stays will not mean much in terms of future accumulations, since those future accumulations will only "buy" a fraction of what they once did.

Perhaps Flyertalk members should prepare a summary of how this all happened and how it has now ended to try to encourage them to rollback the increases to reward redemptions. Those redemption increases were based on the assumption that a very large number of new miles/points would be issued every year. And these many declines in manufactured spending opportunities will alter those expectations of issuances.
You realize that the days of 60-70% of the plane being full and thus awards being easy peasy to offer are well behind us, right?

It's not just there's more currency chasing open seats, there's less open seats.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andy2

Speaking of manufactured spending and rollbacks (WalMart), I was stunned that the term "manufactured spend" actually appeared in a legal document (the terms and conditions of Bluebird that was used to close accounts). I remember reading one of the more likeable blogs in which the blogger joked that he had invented that term. And now something no one had heard of a few years ago has become a real term in an actual legal document.
Is it really massive? I don't really know how big MS is, and I think none of us here do. Could be a drop in the bucket compared to other factors. Of all the people I know, I've not heard of one that does MS. Of course, it's unlikely to come up in normal conversation.

By the way, devaluation has occurred for many years, long before most of the MS opportunities became available.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by nfpa70e
MS shutting down is after all not a bad thing. DOn't have to worry about signing up for so many cards, so many accounts. The greed becomes uncontrollable and is akin to addiction. Then there is, if you have to move out, buy house apply for mortgage etc, it could pose so challenges. While the tap is on, it is difficult to resist.
You gotta move out at some point.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Is it really massive? I don't really know how big MS is, and I think none of us here do. Could be a drop in the bucket compared to other factors. Of all the people I know, I've not heard of one that does MS. Of course, it's unlikely to come up in normal conversation.
I don't know about you but MS represents like 95% of how I earn miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.