Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bluebird Shutdowns

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
The end is near...eeeer, here

RIP Wal Mart

My Serve and wife's Bluebird both shutdown this morning.

Is there any chance of closing the accounts and reapplying later, or are we all blacklisted? Not that it seems like it would matter, being that this is probably a permanent change in Amex enforcement.

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Confirmed 4/4 shutdown. Ohh well, I'll always remember 2015 and the 19 Citi AA Exec cards my household churned through. Man did my UPS guy hate those white boxes. So thanks Bluebird, couldn't of done it without yah! RIP

Lost my Bird. Can I open a Serve account now?

Yup, DH and I both got the email and we are not even MSing every month. We have been using it just for meeting the credit card bonus requirements, bestbuy amex offer, and staples visa card deals.

Originally Posted by tontod
Yup, I got the same thing. What were your loads like? Mine for this month:

1/2: $500
1/6: $400 ($200x2)
1/7: $600 ($200x3)

I know that's a lot less volume than a lot of MSers. I'll call but don't have a lot of hope. Once I draw the balance down, I'll close it, wait a month and open Serve and see what happens.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:53 am

I kinda feel I should bail on work and hit up a few WMs for MOs to dump this $5k of plastic I have in my pocket. You know, before everyone else it the world realizes the same thing.

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Glad (I guess) to see it's not just me that Bluebird killed. I did about $2k month to pay my mortgage. I clicked on the link to section 22.d of the Membership agreement, and it mentions your account can be termed if "(iv)you structure purchases or conduct transactions with your Account, Family Account, SetAside Account and/or Card to manufacture spend"

I was on hold with them, but since others are having this same issue, I figure I'll wait for a bit and see if anything comes out of it, but I imagine this is the end of it all.

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
From the Member agreement, I see this line in the Cancellation section

(iv)you structure purchases or conduct transactions with your Account, Family Account, SetAside Account and/or Card to manufacture spend,
Has this always been there?

dead here as well ...this is bad.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:55 am

Also shut down this morning...but the DW did not get shut down. Not sure what their algorithms are looking for. I'm wondering are they only just now enforcing this or this short clause was recently added? The relevant section is actually in Section 22 - Part (iv):

https://www.bluebird.com/legal/membe...ion;%20Closure

We, in our sole discretion, may limit your use of, suspend or terminate your privileges with respect to, your Account, Family Account(s), SetAside Account, Walmart Buck$ balance and/or Card or any feature or benefit thereof, with or without cause or notice, other than any notice required by Applicable Law, including in the event we believe there has been a breach in security or there has been unauthorized activity involving your Account or you have engaged in activity that is fraudulent or inappropriate or that violates the terms of this Member Agreement. We reserve the right to suspend or close your Account (or Family Account(s), SetAside Account or Walmart Buck$ balance) if, among other reasons...

(iv)you structure purchases or conduct transactions with your Account, Family Account, SetAside Account and/or Card to manufacture spend...
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:55 am

Same here. My wife's Bluebird, and my Serve both shutdown today.
We have been loading $200 and $300 VGCs, at about $50,000/card for past year.

Friends Bluebird got shutdown today also. He just got the bluebird 2 months ago, and only did about 4 of the $500 VGCs.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by GatorBlues
I disagree. It's not that hard to run an algorithm to catch MS patterns. Only a tiny number of those using bluebird as it was intended will be flagged by the algorithm. MSers were never the target audience.
I don't disagree, but it's weird that they are opting to close (well, asking to close) the account, instead of changing load terms to essentially make MS activities impractical. Unless they are getting out of the prepaid card biz, wouldn't they want to keep the accounts open?

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
What annoys me is that I used my BB accounts for legitimate bills, whether they were for a car payment or my son's college tuition. While the bills were large, they were legit, no funny stuff going on.
I found it convenient to be able to pay bills electronically without having to write checks and buy stamps. This is just too darn bad.

Since the account is only restricted in deposits, I will be able to use it until my account reaches zero (I hope) although it would not surprise me to discover another email tomorrow starting the account is closed and they are mailing me the rest of my funds.

I still have $1000 in GCs that will have to be dealt with. I may need to buy some MOs to get rid of them. Bummer.

Programs: ihg priority club, hhonors, united,aa
RIP little birdie! It'll be interesting to see if we are blacklisted for the future. At least they are not freezing them completely and holding funds the way others have. One last bill pay today and I'll close it
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:57 am

Rarely used Bluebird account shut down here as well. Mass shutdown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.