Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the 2016 and onwards Bluebird thread.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread. The previous 2015 megathread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read the wiki before posting a question.

The most recent huge wave of shutdowns occurred in May 2019.

Most accounts used for MS were shut down on Jan 8, 2016. Another wave of shutdowns occurred on March 4, 2016. Using Bluebird for MS is very likely to lead to account closure. There is no clear pattern as to how to avoid the account shut-downs. Some of the dormant accounts were not shut down.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading: $2,500 ($1,999.99 at Walmart) per card per day; $9,000 per day all BB cards combined; $5,000 total per calendar month each card; $10,000 calendar month and $100,000 per year all BB cards combined for each SSN.
  • Direct Deposit: $100,000 per year
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Mobile Check Capture by Ingo® Money - $5,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Print Wikipost

Bluebird master thread (2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by freeloader
2/3 of my accounts avoided the axe and are definitely still kicking.
And you're sure they survived because you've loaded on them since the axe fell? Or you ASSUME it because you didn't get an email?

Some people have reported BB/Serve they THOUGHT were alive because no emails, wouldn't load.

I have a BB that didn't get the email. When I need my next card signup, I'll buy 2.5K VGC. Then I'll attempt to load 2.5K on BB in a single day. If that works, great but if not I won't come in here blubbering about being stuck with inventory and begging for tips to unload.

If that BB survives the night, I'll see if I can cheat with Kates one more day and hit 5K. ONE LAST KISS GOODNIGHT!

Last edited by ElPresidente; Jan 9, 2016 at 11:11 am
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:44 am

Anyone thinking about class action lawsuit on Amex? The reason: we can't MS and they owe us the revenue loss, cost of blood pressure and sleeping pills.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
My temporary plan is to load at the very end of January and very beginning of February, but hopefully by then we'll know if shutdowns are immediately reactionary, or there is lag time.
1/5 survived.

This is what I was planning on doing too. If they plan on shutting me down, Im hoping to get a 10k load in 4 days.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Tread lightly.. Load for regular spend and nothing else. Some might not know, Serve and Bluebird can be used for other purposes and not just full fledged MS.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by freeloader
2/3 of my accounts avoided the axe and are definitely still kicking.
Have you checked their loading capabilities?
2/3 of my accounts didn't get the email either, but they act just as dead as the one that did.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Original BlueBird setup for manufactured spend but soon learned to love BlueBird for the bill pay feature and the domestic/international ATM feature. The bigger issue for BlueBird is not the manufactured spend but the plight of American Express. As an example, Costco and Fidelity both dumped American Express recently.

The option to link BlueBird to a bank account was eliminated a few months ago and the option to use BlueBird via international ATMs was eliminated a few weeks ago. The ATMs in Walmart are non functional more often than not. The product as a whole is not a success despite the backing of Walmart and American Express. The loyalty programs learned long ago the individuals using the products to an extreme are opportunities to improve the products. As noted elsewhere, little effort would be required to eliminate the loading of gift cards without cancelling the customers.

Fun while it lasted. Life is a moving target.

Last edited by view-with-a-room; Jan 9, 2016 at 1:31 pm
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I have one BB that survived the massacre yesterday, I'm going to make a small load today and see if it goes through before I do two $1Ks. not knowing what the giant is up to, I've decided to max out whatever is still working rather than be paralyzed by fear and do nothing. if it's up for slaughter anytime, they will turn off loading feature. if it's still on, I'll just put the max load and come what may.
tested my BB and was able to load the full $2.5K for the day. Will do another $2.5K tomorrow and let funds sit there for a week before I B/P
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Original BlueBird setup for manufactured spend but soon learned to love BlueBird for the bill pay feature and the domestic/international ATM feature. The bigger issue for BlueBird is not the manufactured spend but the plight of American Express. As an example, Costco and Fidelity both dumped American Express recently.

The option to link BlueBird to a bank account was eliminated a few months ago and the option to use BlueBird via international ATMs was eliminated a few weeks ago. The ATMs in Walmart are non functional more often than not. The product as a whole is not a success despite the backing of Walmart and American Express.
Everything in the latter paragraph can be blamed on abuses by the MS crowd and not failures of the BB product.

Bluebird was targeted at the so-called "unbanked." Things like linking a bank account, "loading" $5,000 per month, and international ATM use were never really relevant to the average poor person at whom BB was targeted. Likewise, the Amex split with Costco and Fidelity is all but irrelevant to the BB target demo.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Everything in the latter paragraph can be blamed on abuses by the MS crowd and not failures of the BB product.

Bluebird was targeted at the so-called "unbanked." Things like linking a bank account, "loading" $5,000 per month, and international ATM use — none of these really apply to the average poor person at whom BB was targeted. Likewise, the Amex split with Costco and Fidelity is all but irrelevant to the BB target demo.)
Your do realize you are posting in the "Manufactured Spending" forum, don't you? Other forums on other sites for banking services.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Yes, I do. For you guys, BB was great while it lasted, but the shutdown was actually a smart move by Amex rather than a sign of failure or weakness.

Amex first went to once-in-a-lifetime sign-up bonuses and yesterday made it much harder for people to churn non-Amex cards.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Yes, I do. For you guys, BB was great while it lasted, but the shutdown was actually a smart move by Amex rather than a sign of failure or weakness.

Amex first went to once-in-a-lifetime sign-up bonuses and yesterday made it much harder for people to churn non-Amex cards.
Almost makes you think there might be someone in that large, successful corporation who has an internet connection, knows how to use a browser to search for their product names, and even could be reading this forum and all the spoon-feeding blogs.

Nah, that couldn't possibly be true. I'm sure they know absolutely nothing at all about this game - it's our Million Mile secret!

Party on, boys - and by all means, please post all the details about your next plan!
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
We were both shocked to see our Bluebird shutdown email in our junk-mail folders. Shocked because all other BB emails were in regular email. I deleted DH's junk mail and had to go into deleted emails to find it.....

And of course we would be shut down because we exploited it a lot over the last year. Glad to have the opportunity for as long as we did.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Money orders are a huge red flag. You're playing with fire if you use money orders on a regular basis with the major banks listed above.
Legit question.
I did use BB to pay bills such as insurance or taxes. Would the insurance company go ballistic if i paid a $5000 bill with 5 $1000 MO's?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:44 pm

Nope still easy-peasy to churn B/A, Chase, Citi, and US cards. Buy OVs at CVS, turn into MOs at a Grocery store, and pay the cc bill with the teller at your local branch. It's the AMEX cards that just got harder to MS with, since there are no local branches to use to pay your bill. So not a smart move by AMEX at all, as it just got harder to spend on AMEX cards, and the spend is where they make most of their profits. And the other way they make a profit is the AFs, which if we have difficulty using their cards, we are much less likely to renew them. AMEX continues to shoot itself in the foot...
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Legit question.
I did use BB to pay bills such as insurance or taxes. Would the insurance company go ballistic if i paid a $5000 bill with 5 $1000 MO's?
ask your agent if they'll accept MOs as payment first. once approved, they'll take whatever amount you pay.

for me, I pay with VGCs all the time to AAA for my home and auto premiums so I don't pay extra for MOs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.