Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is an old thread including posts through the end of 2016. The discussion continues in the new thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819025-buy-mo-s-post-office-2017-2018-gift-cards-no-longer-allowed-92.html
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office[2016]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by DTASFAB
And why would the GC issuing bank want customers to enter a pin on a POS terminal that can just as easily process the transaction as credit rather than debit? Their swipe fee on a pin-based transaction is less than for a signature-based transaction. I just don't see any upside for the issuing banks to offer a pin/debit option. I remember a time when the Bancorp Vanilla cards did not offer pins at all.
They started offering PINs because the Durbin amendment required it. I'm sure they would prefer that all VGCs be drained via credit/signature transactions, but they don't have the option to make that the only way to use the cards anymore.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:18 am

I just don't see any upside for the issuing banks to offer a PIN/debit option.
They had no PIN for years.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with this. People should stay the hell off the phone.

However, looking at it from a purely profit standpoint, why don't the GC issuing banks want this to happen exactly? First, they get their activation fee regardless. If you use the card as intended, say for example, for 10 standard signature-based "credit card" type purchases of $50 each, they also get their swipe fee on each transaction. This makes the bank happy. But if they prohibit MS'ers, they don't get their activation fee either. Are they afraid that fraud complaints will make it not worth their while to allow this type of transaction?

The entire pin-based system being linked to these gift cards doesn't make sense to me unless the banks want to surreptitiously encourage people to drain these cards for cash equivalents. I mean, how many retail locations accept debit but not credit? And why would the GC issuing bank want customers to enter a pin on a POS terminal that can just as easily process the transaction as credit rather than debit? Their swipe fee on a pin-based transaction is less than for a signature-based transaction. I just don't see any upside for the issuing banks to offer a pin/debit option. I remember a time when the Bancorp Vanilla cards did not offer pins at all.

As far as the post office is concerned, I don't think they're likely to give a crap as long as they get their money. Their policy is that you can't buy a money order with a credit card, in part because you might dispute the charge and it could get reversed, and in part because they don't want to help credit card customers circumvent cash advance fees that they'd otherwise have to pay if they used the credit card to purchase a cash equivalent. Using a PREPAID gift card that has the word DEBIT printed on the front of it and works as a debit card with a four-digit security pin fits the basic description of a debit card for all intents and purposes of the post office. The main difference between an anonymous prepaid Visa debit gift card and a real ATM/debit card linked to your traditional checking account is simply the nature of the figurative or virtual "container" or "shoebox" holding the money. That's not really the post office's concern, because the money is already held by the bank that's authorizing the transaction in either case. This is unlike a credit card, which is effectively initiating a loan every time it's used to make any type of purchase. Look at it this way - if you had a standard traditional checking account with Bancorp and you used the linked ATM/debit card to purchase a money order, is that really any different than using a Vanilla Visa GC for the same transaction? In either case, Bancorp is authorizing USPS to debit $500 and Bancorp then transfers the money to USPS. It's essentially the same transaction, at least on the post office's end.
Because prepaid card is a preferred instrument for criminals to get their money and then launder it. By NOT allowing prepaid to buy another cash equivalent instrument, arguably this would eliminate an area the criminals could thrive on. Got it? And please dont reply with the rhetoric that "what we do are 100% legit." nonsense. MS indeed has the looks that akin to shady activities - there is no denying of it.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
I have a feeling that the cards that are being blocked are being blocked at the request of the issuing bank because I can't see why USPS would block cards on their own.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:52 am

Just got a MO from PO using OneVanilla.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:36 pm

DP @ Southern Cal, today no more MO by Meta and GiftCards.com in post office.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by hickson
DP @ Southern Cal, today no more MO by Meta and GiftCards.com in post office.
Been at least 1 month in SoCal that USPS MO is Vanilla/onevanilla only. Better to know asap to avoid the headache!
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by mag0r
Been at least 1 month in SoCal that USPS MO is Vanilla/onevanilla only. Better to know asap to avoid the headache!

Everything was totally fine last week. I am sure the cards were just dead after 11/16.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:28 pm

Metas finally died in NY suburbs. Worked until Monday.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 1:47 pm

CVS OV VGC works at PO in NY. Today.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Can anyone confirm that Meta VGC is still accepted to buy MO at WM in Northern California?

Last edited by comeflyaway; Nov 18, 2016 at 3:38 pm
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by comeflyaway
Can anyone confirm that Meta VGC will still be usable to buy MO at WM in Northern California?
They work but finding a cashier in a Norcal WM that will take VGC for MO is difficult if not impossible.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: Several dozen
This is sooo wrong. After years of the US Postal Service loosing money, the MS folk finally took the initiative to find a way to boost post office sales only to have an evil bank kill it! We were helping the country and even getting postage rates rolled back, but we just get no respect.

Originally Posted by 1353513636
I have a feeling that the cards that are being blocked are being blocked at the request of the issuing bank because I can't see why USPS would block cards on their own.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:17 am

One PO in Maryland accepts OV and vanilla, another one mile away does not accept GCs of any kind. Says no funds available. Wondering how soon it will be gone completely.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: Several dozen
Dunno, but things smell much like when the mint deal died.

Originally Posted by mensday
One PO in Maryland accepts OV and vanilla, another one mile away does not accept GCs of any kind. Says no funds available. Wondering how soon it will be gone completely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.