Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is an old thread including posts through the end of 2016. The discussion continues in the new thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819025-buy-mo-s-post-office-2017-2018-gift-cards-no-longer-allowed-92.html
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office[2016]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707
I'm just going to take this opportunity to remind people that there are both Vanilla Visa and Vanilla MasterCard gift cards. The latter includes the Stand Up 2 Cancer version that helps fund cancer research. If it doesn't matter to you which design you get, please consider getting the S2UC version.

Sill capped at 500k total donation?

They donate $1 per card over a 2 year period maxed out at something like 500k, better served donating the $1 towards that or another charity to skip dealing with MC

Small capped donations by monstrous corporate entities advertising said donation (with the cap considerably harder to see) always make me cynical
Old May 3, 2016, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Joshy119
to skip dealing with MC
'Dealing with MC' has never been even the slightest issue for me.. Care to elaborate?
Old May 3, 2016, 8:11 am

Mastercard variable load gift cards vs Visa variable load gift cards I will always choose Visa if all things equal.

I had a harder time successfully converting a batch of MC GC I had last summer into MO. Perhaps my experience was anomalous but I can only speak for myself anyway
Old May 3, 2016, 6:17 pm
XP1

Originally Posted by Joshy119
Mastercard variable load gift cards vs Visa variable load gift cards I will always choose Visa if all things equal.

I had a harder time successfully converting a batch of MC GC I had last summer into MO. Perhaps my experience was anomalous but I can only speak for myself anyway
What issuer?

Are you sure that it was because there was a difference between Visa and MasterCard but not a difference in issuers?
Old May 3, 2016, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by thebat
Exactly the same thing happened to me about three weeks ago.
I jumped through the hoops, filled out the dispute forms and faxed them in. No acknowledgement from One Vanilla. No email, nothing.
But I was on the road the next couple of weeks so I let go. When I was home again, still nothing, no call or email. But, when I called the phone number on the card, entered the numbers on the card, the $500 was back!
I didn't ask any questions, went to another PO, and got the money order no problem.
I hope you get the same result.

I did, thank you

- faxed my info Sat evening and $500 back on it when I checked the card today. Liquidated that thing as soon as I found that out!
Old May 4, 2016, 9:47 am

Anyone having trouble this morning?

I attempted to use both a visa and a mastercard GC at a DC-area PO.

The system kept automatically changing the card from debit to credit after I swiped, and since credit isn't allowed for MOs, system declined payment. Never even got a chance to input my pin. Is anyone else experiencing similar issues? Hopefully this is just a temporary glitch.

For reference, I've been utilizing this location for a long time and the person working the USPS knows the deal. I don't believe it is cashier error.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Markemark
I attempted to use both a visa and a mastercard GC at a DC-area PO.

The system kept automatically changing the card from debit to credit after I swiped, and since credit isn't allowed for MOs, system declined payment. Never even got a chance to input my pin. Is anyone else experiencing similar issues? Hopefully this is just a temporary glitch.

For reference, I've been utilizing this location for a long time and the person working the USPS knows the deal. I don't believe it is cashier error.
Someone was talking about it a few post up. His DC location is hardcoded to not accept GC.

I think other locations/regions still works.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by sosamo
Someone was talking about it a few post up. His DC location is hardcoded to not accept GC.

I think other locations/regions still works.
I saw that one. Seemed like he was visiting with Simon gift card, and it seemed like others issuers were still working. I guess it's time for some more research.
Old May 4, 2016, 11:43 am

No problem in CVG area using a US Bank issued card.

Dumb question: this was my first experience buying a MO at the post office, and the first time I've had a "From" line on any MO I've purchased. I'm not sure if I should just leave that blank for fill it out from myself, to myself. Which would be less likely to draw scrutiny from the bank?
Old May 4, 2016, 11:58 am
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by traveltogo

Dumb question: this was my first experience buying a MO at the post office, and the first time I've had a "From" line on any MO I've purchased. I'm not sure if I should just leave that blank for fill it out from myself, to myself. Which would be less likely to draw scrutiny from the bank?
To each their own, but I just make up a name, and I write it in "script", instead of block letters, purposely illegibly,so they couldn't make out the name even if they wanted to. Never had an issue. It just seems weird to deposit Large Quantities of MO's made from me to me, in my opinion.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by traveltogo

If you are ever investigated by postal inspectors as to why you are getting so many money orders (several data points shows this happens), it would be extremely awkward and suspicious if you were to use some random other name, and it will look like you are hiding income.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:38 pm

If there are any new datapoints for SM cards at PO in CA, please let me know. Going to pick up some SM cards this weekend.

Thanks.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:56 pm

Today a nearby PO said if I wanted to get an more MOs (was under $3K) that I would need to fill out a form. They actually brought out the form titled "Suspicious Activity Request" and showed it to me. There were multiple check boxes including one listed as <$3000, but multiple purchases or something like that. I claimed ignorance and asked her what it was for, she mentioned it was for BSA. I asked her what BSA was and she went on to tell me. I told her I would think about it, didn't give her my id our anything and left. She mentioned it was suspicious since I used multiple debit cards. Yikes... think I better stay away for a while.
Old May 5, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by cdog999
Today a nearby PO said if I wanted to get an more MOs (was under $3K) that I would need to fill out a form. They actually brought out the form titled "Suspicious Activity Request" and showed it to me. There were multiple check boxes including one listed as <$3000, but multiple purchases or something like that. I claimed ignorance and asked her what it was for, she mentioned it was for BSA. I asked her what BSA was and she went on to tell me. I told her I would think about it, didn't give her my id our anything and left. She mentioned it was suspicious since I used multiple debit cards. Yikes... think I better stay away for a while.
I believe you can give them your DL and Passport and won't need to give out the SSN. That's a small price to pay for having convenience of continued use of this method.
Old May 5, 2016, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
What kind of volume had you been doing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.