Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2015 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:57 am

Programs: Several dozen
This is true. But even the most careful MSer can find the finger of god pointed at them if an overzealous staff member gets spooked and raises an ML flag.

Originally Posted by WWads
These days, it seems, you can't be too careful.

Last edited by AlohaDaveKennedy; Jun 9, 2015 at 3:02 am
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:38 am

How does Amex "feel" about loading up on AGC with Amex cards? Went thru about 40K - 45K last year (6-7 months) with 1 delta plat amex and some reg spend mixed in. Seems to be not even be a bit of dust in the wind. Have cycled thru may amex cards over many years never had any problems but just looking for any level where there will be push back. I do need the delta amex spend to boost the delta medallion level. Don't want to mess that MQM driver up.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by spgbus
Could you please share:
1. how much spending on fido each month? 1x or more.
2. how did you pay off your fido account? from checking account or billpay.
Sorry for the late reply...

1.1x...but have 4 AMEX and 4 Visa versions (family members)
2. Billpay mostly, some checking.... multiple and nearly similar payments.

See below...

Last edited by OHijAAzi73; Jun 12, 2015 at 10:47 pm
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Man you are just not having a good string of luck on events happenning to you recently. Sucks dude.
Tell me about it ! ....see below...
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by learning2fly
So, were you making a lot of free trades/month? Could that have been why?
Nope...never touched it as I'am sitting liquid now....but see below...
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73
My Merrill Edge IRA Rollover 100k+ was recently closed and given 30 days window to transfer as well, just transferred my 401k few months ago....really bizarre decision with no reason given.....my BOA CC's, Fido's and Biz/Personal checking accounts are still intact...for now...really pissed at BOA, because the only reason I went with them is to take advantage of the perks of their platinum honors rewards, and free trades!
I use the fido's accounts heavily for AGC but no MO deposits...ever.....so really can't figure that one out.
Ok...now I know why...

All personal CC's, Fido AMEX/Visa disappeared from my account and presumed closed by BOA...still showing personal and biz checking and a biz cc....for now.

I guess the culprit is heavy Fido cards use buying AGC, no MO deposits.

Also, I just got a 450k biz loan from them...which I haven't even started paying yet!....I hope they don't ask for their loan back lol...any one with similar situation with more insight about this?

1.Is this a lifetime ban by BOA?
2. What is the status of that Biz loan given the mass accounts shutdown?

MS life (misery?) continues...lol
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:01 am

Ok...now I know why...

All personal CC's, Fido AMEX/Visa disappeared from my account and presumed closed by BOA...still showing personal and biz checking and a biz cc....for now.

First time i hear about heavy Fido card usage. Can you elaborate how much AGC were you placing per month? Did you use the card for other purchases or just AGC?

thanks
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by pyrotalk
First time i hear about heavy Fido card usage. Can you elaborate how much AGC were you placing per month? Did you use the card for other purchases or just AGC?

thanks
40-60k but spread out among 6 cards (AMEX and Visa versions)...I use AU's with the family members cards....their cards closed as well ..
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest
40-60k but spread out among 6 cards (AMEX and Visa versions)...I use AU's with the family members cards....their cards closed as well ..
Thanks for data point. I have been doing maybe 20K a month on the Fidelity Amex. Did you show those amounts when the statement closes? I make sure and pay it off so my statement wouldn't show anywhere close a couple hundred dollars max.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 7:41 pm

Thanks for sharing. Seems like your spending pattern caught fire out of ordinary. It is risk to MS one bank even though you were spreading spending among multiple accounts. Possible reasons for account closure could be:
1. Perk abuse with 6 identical cards.
2. Heavy spending on multiple AU cards comparing with primary accounts.
3. Total spending 40-60k per month exceeds bank comfortable zone relative with your reported income.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:43 pm

Ok...now I know why...

Also, I just got a 450k biz loan from them...which I haven't even started paying yet!....I hope they don't ask for their loan back lol...any one with similar situation with more insight about this?

1.Is this a lifetime ban by BOA?
2. What is the status of that Biz loan given the mass accounts shutdown?

MS life (misery?) continues...lol
1. ???
2. They cannot do anything about the loan one is has been finalized and dispersed to you. They could sell it to another FI, but you are legally guaranteed the terms of the loan.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by XtraPerks
Thanks for data point. I have been doing maybe 20K a month on the Fidelity Amex. Did you show those amounts when the statement closes? I make sure and pay it off so my statement wouldn't show anywhere close a couple hundred dollars max.
Showing a low balance might avoid scrutiny from other issuers, but not from the card issuer, i.e. in this case BoA knows how much was charged during the month.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate, Amex, Delta, AA, BA Avios, United, US Airways, Marriott, Hilton
Amex very trigger happy on FR these days/shutdown. Don't buy AGC on Amex!
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by pstravels
Amex very trigger happy on FR these days/shutdown. Don't buy AGC on Amex!
It is YMMV. Had gone throught two FRs in the past for two biz cards with close to zero biz income. However personal income proved to be sufficient to unlock all the accounts without limiting any CL.

Just last week got a strange call from Amex asking me if my business involves with Currency Trading and MO payment above $1000 ??? Anyone else had this call before?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vitousa
Wife's Barclay got shut down.
Frontier - didn't use much.
US Airways - recent 50K bonus and 20K spend in 3 months via AGC.
Arrival - 10K a month for about 2 yrs via MS and AGC.

I am probably next so I am clearing my Arrival points now via SW gift cards.
Originally Posted by vitousa
Do not hold a high balance in Arrival. They closed the account and we forfeited 165K points. They said it's in the agreement.
Just came across this blog - someone won his US Bank cards back plus 100K pts previously taken away from him, after filing a CFPB complaint.

http://pizzainmotion.boardingarea.co...guess-who-won/

Have you file a complaint? Nothing to lose to file...

Originally Posted by ILGfly
Barclays just shut me down. Didn't get a phone call or email. Just logged in to my account on the app and saw I had zero available credit on both my Arrival+ or Aviator Red. Logged in to the website and it stated the account is closed. Had 159k in Arrival miles and 9k AA miles pending. I have a friend that works at Barclays in the CC accounts dept. I'm going to contact him and see if there's anything I can do. Otherwise it looks like there's a Citi DoubleCash in in my future.
So how was it?

See the link above - may help to get back your points.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 14, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.