Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stratos Card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Stratos Card

What are your thoughts? Is it worth getting?

https://stratoscard.com/
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:26 am

Looks interesting; I'll keep an eye on this and wait for reviews/feedback before I decide if it's worth $95 membership fee. Free 90 day trial would be nice so I'll know if it's worth keeping
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:44 pm

Something like this would be convenient. However, I see alot of issues, one off the top of my head, is that a store I frequent asks the clerk for the last 4 of the CC #. How would this work on a "all in one" card.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Lappie
Something like this would be convenient. However, I see alot of issues, one off the top of my head, is that a store I frequent asks the clerk for the last 4 of the CC #. How would this work on a "all in one" card.
I would think asking for the last 4 would have to be phased out anyway with the coming of EMV anyway.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
I think for stores that don't like AGCs or Walmarts that don't accept "debit" gift cards, they are not going to take this either. They want to see bank name.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ayase
I think for stores that don't like AGCs or Walmarts that don't accept "debit" gift cards, they are not going to take this either. They want to see bank name.
No, they want to see YOUR name.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:45 pm

Is this the same thing as Wallaby and Coin? Have either of those gotten off the ground yet?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
But, since the Stratos card does have your name printed on it, that should suffice store policy "the card must have the customer's name". They want to make sure the person in front of them is the owner of the card being used and this should be sufficient to most I would think.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by phatjoe

No.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:02 am

What's printed on back of the card? anyone can see?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by phatjoe

I've decided that these things aren't worth buying unless they're already shipping. If you want something with some similar functionality, check out Loop: http://www.looppay.com/products/

The cheapest version is $10 and they just got bought by Samsung, so the technology isn't going anywhere.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:09 am

I'm more interested in Plastc since it comes with a charger. Stratos sounds like they have to send you a new card when the battery starts to run low. Not very convenient if you travel a lot.

https://www.plastc.com/card
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:28 pm

Bump ...

With RB killing CC loads, the only avenue is GC debit loads, that come with a PIN. A majority of the folks in the RB thread are expressing caution to those attempting multiple GC loads in one session at Target stores - for fear of GC loads becoming obsolete as well, nationwide.

Something like a Stratos card would help in this circumstance, since they mention they allow GC's to be tied/associated/uploaded/linked (whatever terminology they use) to your Stratos card. The Stratos card comes with your name on it as well, so the Target CSR can't question what you, the consumer, are loading with.

Not sure if plastc is similar, but what are your thoughts on this now?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
Originally Posted by memphian901
Bump ...

With RB killing CC loads, the only avenue is GC debit loads, that come with a PIN. A majority of the folks in the RB thread are expressing caution to those attempting multiple GC loads in one session at Target stores - for fear of GC loads becoming obsolete as well, nationwide.

Something like a Stratos card would help in this circumstance, since they mention they allow GC's to be tied/associated/uploaded/linked (whatever terminology they use) to your Stratos card. The Stratos card comes with your name on it as well, so the Target CSR can't question what you, the consumer, are loading with.

Not sure if plastc is similar, but what are your thoughts on this now?
Yes, but does the Stratos card come with a PIN? If it acts as a credit card, then this will probably not work.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA is all for now.
How would you be able to switch from GC to GC without making a scene? It seems it would attract LESS attention to just load one physical GC after another...

The only use would be that it would work on cashiers who look for a name on the card. And it would make it a lot easier to liquidate AMEX GCs as well since cashiers in various locations keep trying to stop me from buying other GCs with them. Has anyone actually tried this thing yet?

Hah, even better if the whole card was pinable, and this pin was used for EVERY card stored on it. That would solve all of our problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.