Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using very small residual GC balances

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
Ironically, I would wager that Amex would prefer in this case that you zero-out the card. Will likely cost them a lot more than 10 cents to maintain live file for card, and put through their AUP compliance process to ultimately recover the balance. You're not doing them any favors, IMHO.
I doubt they go to all that trouble. It's more likely they do what I do - write it off. For them, .10 is less than a rounding error's rounding error.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by agp423
If it's over 15 cents, I use them to buy Amazon e-gift cards for myself.
Minimum now is $.50
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tuppins
I doubt they go to all that trouble. It's more likely they do what I do - write it off. For them, .10 is less than a rounding error's rounding error.
Doesn't work that way. They can't just "forget" that the card has a 10 cent balance, they have to keep a live file for it, should it ever be presented for use. Upon expiration of the card, since they still have "your" 10 cents, they have to go through an escheat process, whereby they either keep it or send it to the state. There's no "writing it off."
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:56 am

Doesn't work that way. They can't just "forget" that the card has a 10 cent balance, they have to keep a live file for it, should it ever be presented for use. Upon expiration of the card, since they still have "your" 10 cents, they have to go through an escheat process, whereby they either keep it or send it to the state. There's no "writing it off."
Admitting I know little of this process here:
-I'm assuming that "keeping a live file" for the card means that the card number and balance remains in their computer/accounting system. I can't imagine that really costs anything.
-There is no lower limit to balances that have to go through the escheat process? The law says, "any balance, however small"??

EDIT: Bored at work, so poking around shows that most states do not, in fact, have a minimum. In which case, I have to assume that Amex is sophisticated enough to automate the whole process. Their computers dump a file to the state computers and make a lump sum transfer. Now it's the state's problem.
I could be wrong though. It's been known to happen...

Last edited by Tuppins; Jul 29, 2014 at 9:07 am
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:09 am

This. If you're scraping around for the last 0.11 on a GC, maybe MS isn't for you.
Personally, I find some of the fun to be in maximizing returns. It is not the desire to "save" a few cents so much as scoring more "points" (not talking CC points here). It really hurts my soul when I am unable to get to my fee-free ATM Others are satisfied if they are in the black and use their time efficiently. To each his/her own
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by smoothmunkey
To each his/her own
^
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:18 am

I end up with $0.05 cards after using a Reloadit to make things less confusing to the workers there.

Aand I just put them in a drawer. It's not worth my time to swipe for an extra 5 cents.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:30 am

You could always just make them into something
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:07 am

I had a friend who cut his cards into earbud holders.

So you could wrap it around that and never have them tangled again.

I need to look up how to do that. I could have hundreds of earbud holders!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:42 am

Just for the sake of argument: automatic drain actually zaps balance in milli-seconds, considerably under your threshold.

Also, FWIW: I keep fresh GCs in packaging until ready to use, toss the ones I zero out as soon as I do it, and Sharpie the balance on small change ones that I save.
No worries about GC fraud, eh?

If I have an odd number due to billpay or MO for things that produce odd numbers, I'll drain via grocery shopping. Fast. Easy. But I try to avoid remnants. Too complicated. A little like that HBO thing.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
No worries about GC fraud, eh?
Not really. My usual MS approach is buying VGCs and liquidating by feeding bird (WM swipes) and MO purchases. Once the debit card charge is approved, and I have my bird credit or MO, I think my exposure wrt to the VGC has been eliminated. I do save my MO stub/receipt for a week or so, until I think the MO has been paid by MG or WU.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

... I can't imagine that really costs anything.
... I have to assume that Amex is sophisticated enough to automate the whole process. Their computers dump a file to the state computers and make a lump sum transfer.
You will have to trust me, it's more complicated and costly than you might first imagine. Automation has its limits, esp. when dealing with 50+ jurisdictions, each with their own processes, rules, forms, etc.

I stand by my earlier view that Amex (and any other issuer) would prefer that you zero-out a small-balance card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.