Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:10 am

Tried loading a batch of meta cards this morning to BB via Kate. 1st card, 1st swipe came back declined. I may have made an audible "uggggh not these too" comment. But after that everything was fine. One other meta failed on first try too, but 11 swipes for 9 cards is good for me!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
generally the midwest is WAY easier than _________.

in the bay area and in the areas near downtown and/or any lower income area, i have found i have to scale back my friendliness! i'm naturally talkative and chat with cashiers. i've found, if they don't know me, if i walk up friendly and do something as innocuous as a nice friendly 'hi', you can actually see the wheels turning, 'he's up to no good' (my perception is that the dumb criminals are overly friendly, and it's a 'tell').

in the burbs there isn't that built in suspicion triggered- well, except older (think grey haired grandma age) white ladies in the south- they look at me like, 'i don't know what you think you're about to pull, but it's not working with me buster'!
This perfectly describes my area too on the wasted politeness / friendliness, sometimes even after they have seen me a few times. We simply dont fit in the mode of 95% of their customers doing things at the CS / MC desk. I actually prefer MC desk where the staff tend to be a bit more competent.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had 5 unsuccessful swipes tonight with OVs and had to cancel the transaction, but I had Sandra as cashier and she waits a long time before starting her part of the process, so I'm not sure it wasn't the long delay between my keying in and the beginning of hers -- one swipe did work and that was the only time she started keying in as I was still typing. If a good cashier is there tomorrow I'll ask them to start keying soon after I hit 'change payment' and see if the results are better.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This morning I managed to use 3 of 5 Vanilla cards, but there was a total of about 6-7 failed swipes, so I won't be buying any more until I get rid of the 2 I have. I have plenty of Simons right now, so it doesn't much matter.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
This morning I managed to use 3 of 5 Vanilla cards, but there was a total of about 6-7 failed swipes, so I won't be buying any more until I get rid of the 2 I have. I have plenty of Simons right now, so it doesn't much matter.
I am having the same types of issues with my KATE. KATE is getting very difficult and I will only use for minimum spends for the time being.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:19 am

Loaded 3 OVs, all on the first swipe. Been a long time since I was able to do that.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I was never very good at math, but I think you said you did 10 swipes, with 5 cards. My success ratio at Kate varies, but the ongoing average, when Kate is working, is 2.5 swipes per card. So that would be another 2 or 3 swipes more than you did to load all 5. Of course, if you were with a cashier instead of a Kate, maybe you reached the end of their patience and had to stop. But for me, that would be a normal "good" session.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
I was never very good at math, but I think you said you did 10 swipes, with 5 cards. My success ratio at Kate varies, but the ongoing average, when Kate is working, is 2.5 swipes per card. So that would be another 2 or 3 swipes more than you did to load all 5. Of course, if you were with a cashier instead of a Kate, maybe you reached the end of their patience and had to stop. But for me, that would be a normal "good" session.
If it takes more than 2x average, I don't like it. It is my patience that is the limit -- the cashiers don't seem to care. We're still much faster than any merchandise return or money transfer.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:37 pm
Suspended

If it takes more than 2x average, I don't like it. It is my patience that is the limit -- the cashiers don't seem to care. We're still much faster than any merchandise return or money transfer.
Not to mention anyone with moneygram or W2W. Give the opportunity, I could probably run $25k in MO's in the time it takes for the typical MC customer to get their info on a moneygram form.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got rid of the 2 OVs tonight with one swipe each while buying $4K of MOs tonight.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:48 pm

Tried a few OV tonight. No go. So cal. Will try again tomorrow.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Gammachu
Behind the gift card you're using
I've tried that multiple times and the numbers still do not work. Is there something wrong with my card or another set of 9 digit numbers?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:15 am

I was able to unload two of the older OVGC with one swipe each. Tried a newer one with experation date of 3/23 and have had issues for several days unloading it. In NOLA
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Not to mention anyone with moneygram or W2W. Give the opportunity, I could probably run $25k in MO's in the time it takes for the typical MC customer to get their info on a moneygram form.
True dat, was getting MOs couple of days ago and the cashier jumped me ahead of a Hispanic lady when she didn't fill out all the info they wanted on their form.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Whenever I see someone ahead of me grab a MoneyGram form, I want to scream. They never fill the form out ahead of time, always forget a pen, always forget some piece of information that they need, etc. Every time without fail...

EDIT: The best is when they come to WM a few days after filling the MoneyGram form out because the recipient never got the money. It is almost always because the sender misspelled the name, used the wrong state, etc. Again, every time without fail...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.