Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25
2x$200 cards = $400 each transaction

x4 transactions.

Relax
lol, I'm jealous. I think Staples near me stopped carrying $200 VISA. I see lots of $200 MCs & $100 VISA though.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, UA Silver ,AA &Southwest
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I wouldn't worry about it then. The Staples manager should know that it is limited to 1 rebate per household anyways so if I were the manager, I would just chuckle especially if the customer did not recognize that and tried to redeem 4 rebates with the same address.
Today I went along with my friend and we bought 3X200 each one us and when I tried to pay for both of us, manager objected us to do so. He argued that same person can't pay for both transactions and it is Staples Policy. We said two different customers with two different addresses but one us is paying since the other one forgot to bring his wallet. Finally he said he is allowing now, but in future he will not and we asked him to show the policy. But he could not and gave us 800 no to find out.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:27 am

Quick question--
THe new blue packaging is new at Staples but the cards look the same. We do NOT have to set PIN on these, correct?
Old May 25, 2015, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Quick question--
THe new blue packaging is new at Staples but the cards look the same. We do NOT have to set PIN on these, correct?
That is correct. I bought 2 yesterday morning and loaded them last night. Pin is the last 4, just like the others.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:21 am

Is there any way to convert the promo Staples gift cards? I have no use for Staples credit. I just got my $20 gift card in the mail. Why don't they do visa every time for those promos?
Old May 26, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Is there any way to convert the promo Staples gift cards? I have no use for Staples credit. I just got my $20 gift card in the mail. Why don't they do visa every time for those promos?
Because they like to annoy you. Many simply avoid those promotions.
Most customers certainly prefer the VGC promotions without rebates, but Staples is stuck in the past with rebates and mailing you a card in the mail which is more costly than instant discounts. At least OM/OD isn't stuck in the past like that and their promotions are instant discounts which drives way more traffic into their stores. Will be sad if regulators allow the Staples takeover of OM. That is not good for competition or consumers.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by janaganamana
Today I went along with my friend and we bought 3X200 each one us and when I tried to pay for both of us, manager objected us to do so. He argued that same person can't pay for both transactions and it is Staples Policy. We said two different customers with two different addresses but one us is paying since the other one forgot to bring his wallet. Finally he said he is allowing now, but in future he will not and we asked him to show the policy. But he could not and gave us 800 no to find out.
Do you think asking him that helped your situation and future relationship with that store? I know we all can get frustrated, but we must use restraint and try to be nice customers that they would like to return to their store.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
xxxxxxx

Last edited by ermintrude; Aug 30, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Old May 26, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by ermintrude
I'm new to this particular MS - Anyway - I just got an ink plus and have a target redcard - I am aware of target's new CC policy - however I have been told that they can still be loaded with visa gift cards (- I was going to go to staples - get $5k in visa gift cards etc....) If you can confirm this please let me know. Thanks.
Target's PoS terminal accepts debit cards for loading to RB. Visa gift cards purchased at staples can be run as debit. When you go to the cashier, remember, you're using a debit card (if you say gift card, they may not let the transaction continue). The redbird thread has a lot more information (and a detailed Wiki) that you should read too.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
Do you think asking him that helped your situation and future relationship with that store? I know we all can get frustrated, but we must use restraint and try to be nice customers that they would like to return to their store.
OM manager constantly changes like every 3 - 4 months. I've seen the same manager for 3 - 4 years at Staples. If you are going to do a little harsh way, knowing the store helps a little.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by ermintrude
I'm new to this particular MS - Anyway - I just got an ink plus and have a target redcard - I am aware of target's new CC policy - however I have been told that they can still be loaded with visa gift cards (- I was going to go to staples - get $5k in visa gift cards etc....) If you can confirm this please let me know.
afaik, Staples don't sell variable VGCs up to $500; they sell fixed values up to $200 with $6.95 fees. Lesser values have lower purchase fees. Make your computations if you'll come ahead ahead buying your VGCs with your Ink Plus CC. At drugstores and grocery stores, there are VGCs with fees that vary from 3.95 to 6.95 for variable VGCs up to $500; you can use a 5% reward CC to buy these. You just have to check your grocery stores to see what they sell and if they'll accept CCs.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
Because they like to annoy you. Many simply avoid those promotions.
Most customers certainly prefer the VGC promotions without rebates, but Staples is stuck in the past with rebates and mailing you a card in the mail which is more costly than instant discounts. At least OM/OD isn't stuck in the past like that and their promotions are instant discounts which drives way more traffic into their stores. Will be sad if regulators allow the Staples takeover of OM. That is not good for competition or consumers.
Understood, In addition to online, I take it the POS are hard coded not to accept staples gift cards in an attempt to buy the $200 VGC's?
Old May 26, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Target's PoS terminal accepts debit cards for loading to RB. Visa gift cards purchased at staples can be run as debit. When you go to the cashier, remember, you're using a debit card (if you say gift card, they may not let the transaction continue). The redbird thread has a lot more information (and a detailed Wiki) that you should read too.
xxxx

Last edited by ermintrude; Aug 30, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Old May 26, 2015, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Cleaning supplies sale is your best bet ... or not
Old May 26, 2015, 9:36 pm

Had an humorous experience at my go to Staples today.

Went to the register with 9 $200 VGCs and told the cashier I wanted to ring them up 3 at a time (which is what I do every month) because there's a rebate right now. After the first batch it asks for the managers numbers, like normal, and a manager I've never worked with before comes over. He asks why I'm doing the transaction like this and I explain why. He hums and haws for a minute and then says that he can't do it because there is a $2k a day limit. I tell him that 9x200 is 1800 so that won't be a problem. After staring at me blankly for a minute while he struggles to do basic math in his head he then says "actually I just remembered the limit is now $1500 a day." I say fine I'll just do these 3 and the next 3 and I'll be on my way... Immediately afterwards I went and put the GCs in my car and went back in and got 4 reams of paper with one of last months $20 rebate GCs using the current penny paper rebate code while he stood by and watched.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.