Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
how about b/c the staples I frequent lets me buy more than $400 and its right across the street from target where I'd ahve to go to load them anyways
Old May 13, 2015, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by briang191
You can't get the $20 off 300 online.
You can't get that in store either. This thread is for Staples, not OD/OM.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by ILGfly
You can't get that in store either. This thread is for Staples, not OD/OM.
I have received many $20 rebates from Staples for VGCs. These promotions are not unique to OD/OM. Why would you say that?
Old May 13, 2015, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I have received many $20 rebates from Staples for VGCs. These promotions are not unique to OD/OM. Why would you say that?
A mail in rebate for a $20 gift card is different than $20 off $300, which is an ongoing OD/OM promotion where you get $20 off $300 in VGCs right at the register. I thought that's what they were referring to. Perhaps you are right but the way they phrased what they said is misleading if the rebate promotions are in fact what they meant.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:56 pm

Staples GC MIR are usually limited to one per name/address (many have attempted multiple submissions and many were rejected) and it takes weeks to receive them while offers at OD-OM are instant; since there's no ID scan, they can't tell how many times a customer has done the offer. These offers are not available for online purchases that's why people have to go to the store and buy them.
Old May 14, 2015, 5:19 am

speaking of Staples rebates, if one chooses to submit them by mailing it in -- is it possible to submit/mail multiple forms at once? or do they have some kinda archaic rule about only one submission per mailing?

Staples had like 3 promos in the last cpl months, so kinda wanted to send all the rebates in at once this wkend if I can. anyone know or have any insights into this?
Old May 14, 2015, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by HouFly
speaking of Staples rebates, if one chooses to submit them by mailing it in -- is it possible to submit/mail multiple forms at once? or do they have some kinda archaic rule about only one submission per mailing?

Staples had like 3 promos in the last cpl months, so kinda wanted to send all the rebates in at once this wkend if I can. anyone know or have any insights into this?
Why would you mail it in, more work, cost of stamp, could get lost in mail?
Old May 14, 2015, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Still does not compute, the 2 minute call to gift card mall to activate trumps the >2 minutes it takes to drive to Staples, go in, and check out on a $400 max purchase. If you have a store that sells you more than $400 worth in one sitting, you're very lucky.
Must be area specific. I've never been to a store that won't sell me 9. Every store says the corporate limit (whether it's true or not) is $2000/day/person. You just need a manager's override for anything over $500, but I've had no problem doing this at 10+ different stores.
Old May 14, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by agp423
Why do people still go to stores to buy these and risk having to deal with disgruntled employees/managers when you can buy them online and still get x5?
A) I can get them right away.
B) I can buy 9 at a time.
C) I don't have to have to worry about there being a mail issue or having them lost.
D) I don't have to activate them.

My question is why do you buy online?

Last edited by yank2688; May 14, 2015 at 1:10 pm Reason: grammar
Old May 14, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by yank2688
C) I don't have to have to worry about there being a mail issue or having them lost.

Personally, I sometimes don't mind the wait (it can be weeks), nor the risk of pirates getting to my mailbox before I do. I don't have to park and walk into Staples if I am not already going there, I don't have to deal with some cashiers that take forever to get the mgr approval (and some who insist on calling their secret 800# to verify that my CC purchase will be ok)---this can be a 15 min visit as opposed to a few min online and a few min on the phone - see below).

And one of the biggest PITA's is the stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that I have to peel off. The VGCs that come in the mall peel off with no residue. And I can activate all 9 at a time calling the 800 # and spending 3-4 min to get them activated all at once (you don't HAVE to activate one by one).

Plus every now and then (rare) I can get a Staples rebate card or rewards in there as part of the payment (sure, I lose UR but those pesky cards and rewards are out of my face).
Old May 14, 2015, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by richiezc
how long does it actually take to ship if you order from staples.com?

placed an order a week ago and it still hasn't shipped
How long does it take to receive your cards?
I ordered 400 about 10 days ago, but they are still showing processing orders...
Old May 14, 2015, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by weezl
Personally, I sometimes don't mind the wait (it can be weeks), nor the risk of pirates getting to my mailbox before I do. I don't have to park and walk into Staples if I am not already going there, I don't have to deal with some cashiers that take forever to get the mgr approval (and some who insist on calling their secret 800# to verify that my CC purchase will be ok)---this can be a 15 min visit as opposed to a few min online and a few min on the phone - see below).

And one of the biggest PITA's is the stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that I have to peel off. The VGCs that come in the mall peel off with no residue. And I can activate all 9 at a time calling the 800 # and spending 3-4 min to get them activated all at once (you don't HAVE to activate one by one).

Plus every now and then (rare) I can get a Staples rebate card or rewards in there as part of the payment (sure, I lose UR but those pesky cards and rewards are out of my face).
If that works for you then that's great! To each his own. I find it easier to take a bag of the staples $200s right up to a Kate machine, and just open each one as I go, thus never peeling anything and throwing the used ones right back in the bag.
Old May 14, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by yank2688

Because you can buy 45 a day, and have them all bulk activated with one phone call without driving to the store.
Old May 14, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SPG, HLTN, ETC
My main question about staples is if the payoff really worth any of it. 1000 points per gift card but a (I think) $6 fee. So let's say you go Amtrak rewards which is about 4000 points or 44 bucks one way in my region. So that's 4 cards - but $24 in fees...so is it worth the 20 dollars saved?

Edit: I guess I kinda answered my own question considering how many do it..and if I'm saving 20 bucks on a ticket I needed to buy anyways.....it is lol
Old May 14, 2015, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by air360
My main question about staples is if the payoff really worth any of it. 1000 points per gift card but a (I think) $6 fee. So let's say you go Amtrak rewards which is about 4000 points or 44 bucks one way in my region. So that's 4 cards - but $24 in fees...so is it worth the 20 dollars saved?

Edit: I guess I kinda answered my own question considering how many do it..and if I'm saving 20 bucks on a ticket I needed to buy anyways.....it is lol
I only buy these when they're running a rebate, and then it's absolutely worth it. If you buy 3 at a time per rebate, it's like only paying $0.28 in fees per GC once you've cashed out the rebate card. I do 6 rebates every time. Including MO fees to cash them out I'm getting ~18600 UR for about $15 in total fees (after rebates). That's a hell of a deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.