Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

How best to explain MS to unkowing store clerks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How best to explain MS to unkowing store clerks?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
Store clerks have asked me why we (ms'ers they see in store) buy GCs and reloadables all the time and I simply tell them we get more miles or points on our cards so we can go on free vacations. They are overjoyed when they here that and suddenly it all makes sense for them and they are happy to be a part of helping us anyway they can. I really don't know why ms'ers feel they have to be sly about this. It's no big deal when you tell them you want more cc points, cash back or miles. Every clerk I know who understands the why loves the idea of helping ms'ers get there cb, free flights, free hotels and more. But, I don't live in a big city so maybe our Midwest town treats ms'ers better, but not sure.
This is exactly what I run into. I just give a basic "I get credit card points for travel" answer and the response is always "That's cool" with an occasional "Have any fun travel coming up?"

It eliminates the suspicion that causes so much trouble. Our transactions are not going to be some fraudulent activity that harms their business. We're good customers who bring money into their business on a regular basis, so no need to hide that.

Also...Remember to support the businesses that support you.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
I have a question for fellow members?
How best to explain the reasons behind needing to buy 5k worth of visa gift cards to aw struck grocery store store clerks? I realize that this question has come up in various other threads but, given that the CVS deal is dead and we're going to have to interact with store clerks more often it is more important than ever to come to a consensus on this
For example,
Today I was at Tom thumb (safeway) and I swear the guy"s jaw dropped when I, a 21 year old disabled college student casualty roll up to buy 5k worth of cards. The guy and his manager looked at me for the longest time like I was a thief or drug Lord! I swear, this is the worst part of the whole MS game. It's not my fault that some A## holes buy gift cards with stolen credit cards and ruin the fun for all of us sorry for the if this sounds like a rant
(by the way, Tom thumb has no know limit on value of cards one can buy with no need to fill out paperwork
If you want to cultivate a relationship with a store, why on earth would you start off trying to buy $5,000 worth of GCs? That is about the worst thing you could do. Think about it from their point of view. Imagine you are a manager at a local grocery store and a stranger comes in trying to buy $5,000 worth of GCs. Good lord. . .

I've developed relations with my local stores over months and years. They all know me by name and sell me GCs on CC like packs of gum. I started off by buying groceries and throwing in ONE $500 card. I started some small talk at the register. Then, later in the week bought some more groceries with ONE $500 card. Met knew cashiers and managers - more small talk. Then, next week more groceries, more small talk ONE more card. I got to know about the cashiers/managers - their hobbies, pets, recreational activities etc. And they got to know me. After a few months, I am "the card guy". For one store, their comfort zone is $1,000 a visit and about three visits per week - so I don't push it.

Just last week, a new cashier was clearly uncomfortable with the GCs and called over a manager. The manager came over and said "Oh, that's just 'Silver4300' he comes in all the time, he is OK. If there was a problem, it would have happened many moons ago.". . . I guarantee if a stranger came in and tried to buy $5,000 worth - all sorts of red flags and alarms would go off and I doubt the manager would allow the transaction.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by silver4300
If you want to cultivate a relationship with a store, why on earth would you start off trying to buy $5,000 worth of GCs? That is about the worst thing you could do. Think about it from their point of view. Imagine you are a manager at a local grocery store and a stranger comes in trying to buy $5,000 worth of GCs. Good lord. . .

I've developed relations with my local stores over months and years. They all know me by name and sell me GCs on CC like packs of gum. I started off by buying groceries and throwing in ONE $500 card. I started some small talk at the register. Then, later in the week bought some more groceries with ONE $500 card. Met knew cashiers and managers - more small talk. Then, next week more groceries, more small talk ONE more card. I got to know about the cashiers/managers - their hobbies, pets, recreational activities etc. And they got to know me. After a few months, I am "the card guy". For one store, their comfort zone is $1,000 a visit and about three visits per week - so I don't push it.

Just last week, a new cashier was clearly uncomfortable with the GCs and called over a manager. The manager came over and said "Oh, that's just 'Silver4300' he comes in all the time, he is OK. If there was a problem, it would have happened many moons ago.". . . I guarantee if a stranger came in and tried to buy $5,000 worth - all sorts of red flags and alarms would go off and I doubt the manager would allow the transaction.

Nothing wrong with that approach, but I've found this to be unnecessary in my experience. You are dealing with people making $10 an hour. I have found they could give a fuc* less what you are buying as long as you don't look like a shady, sketchy, sweaty-palmed idiot. Maybe it's because I'm in a large metro and almost exclusively deal with 18-20 years old clerks.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by bobert24
I generally find that honesty is the best policy, particularly when worded correctly: "My debit card has a limit of $500 per swipe."
I like that.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by toxicity
Nothing wrong with that approach, but I've found this to be unnecessary in my experience. You are dealing with people making $10 an hour. I have found they could give a fuc* less what you are buying as long as you don't look like a shady, sketchy, sweaty-palmed idiot. Maybe it's because I'm in a large metro and almost exclusively deal with 18-20 years old clerks.
Your stores allow 18-20 year old clerks to run through a $5,000 GC purchase with no override? If so, you have a gold mine.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:52 am

Your stores allow 18-20 year old clerks to run through a $5,000 GC purchase with no override? If so, you have a gold mine.
Yep. Just bought $3.5k from someone that was probably 16 last night
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:54 am

One word answer: 'Profit'
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:57 am

Well, $3.5k isn't $5k, but still a really good.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
I will say that yesterday I dealt with a 50 year old cashier when this took place. Whereas I did the same thing last weekend with a young guy and had no problems
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta PM | US PP | Hilton Gold
We are having a raffle at work. I was asked to buy X amount of GC.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:11 am

I only buy 5k at a time and never had an issue and I was told that I am not the only one that buys that much and never been declined. I guess it depends if you live in the woods or a city.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman
Store clerks have asked me why we (ms'ers they see in store) buy GCs and reloadables all the time and I simply tell them we get more miles or points on our cards so we can go on free vacations. They are overjoyed when they here that and suddenly it all makes sense for them and they are happy to be a part of helping us anyway they can. I really don't know why ms'ers feel they have to be sly about this. It's no big deal when you tell them you want more cc points, cash back or miles. Every clerk I know who understands the why loves the idea of helping ms'ers get there cb, free flights, free hotels and more. But, I don't live in a big city so maybe our Midwest town treats ms'ers better, but not sure.
Never mention "cash back". clerks may get jelly and halt future transaction. I usually tell them its for airline miles and they're always ok with it.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:18 pm

^

Originally Posted by canyoncar
In the CV days I explained to the gals in my store how "I get airline miles for these" which was enough for them to sell me 5k/day without hesitation. I'm not gonna go through the hassle for every damn grocery store cashier though.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by kingrat
I only buy 5k at a time and never had an issue and I was told that I am not the only one that buys that much and never been declined. I guess it depends if you live in the woods or a city.
We are talking about a grocery store (not CVS).

Do you really have a grocery store where you buy $5 at a time without issue?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
We are talking about a grocery store (not CVS).

Do you really have a grocery store where you buy $5 at a time without issue?
I was just as shocked by this at first but YES my local Tom Thumb has no issues doing it... (outside of aw struck cashiers) ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.