FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   How best to explain MS to unkowing store clerks? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1570083-how-best-explain-ms-unkowing-store-clerks.html)

rgAAFT Apr 17, 2014 8:51 pm

How best to explain MS to unkowing store clerks?

I have a question for fellow members?
How best to explain the reasons behind needing to buy 5k worth of visa gift cards to aw struck grocery store store clerks? I realize that this question has come up in various other threads but, given that the CVS deal is dead and we're going to have to interact with store clerks more often it is more important than ever to come to a consensus on this
For example,
Today I was at Tom thumb (safeway) and I swear the guy"s jaw dropped when I, a 21 year old disabled college student casualty roll up to buy 5k worth of cards. The guy and his manager looked at me for the longest time like I was a thief or drug Lord! I swear, this is the worst part of the whole MS game. It's not my fault that some A## holes buy gift cards with stolen credit cards and ruin the fun for all of us;) sorry for the if this sounds like a rant
(by the way, Tom thumb has no know limit on value of cards one can buy with no need to fill out paperwork

TMKTakot Apr 17, 2014 9:10 pm

Once upon a time, a man bought a VR, loaded it to his preferred pre-paid card, and then paid a bill with it.... that CAN'T be right, can it??

fluffyCat Apr 17, 2014 9:12 pm

I was at a WM Money Center recently loading my BB. A guy walked up with 20 cards (I am not sure what they were -- I was a Visa logo). He wanted to put money on all of them.

The CSR said.... aw, maybe you can do 2 or 3 at a time...I think it is illegal to do that many at once.

Then a manager came over and questioned why he wanted so many. The customer was agitated and said it was not of their business. "It's my money. It's my accounts..."

I left the area before seeing how it played out.

I've been asked a few times why I load in $500 increments instead of a full $1,000. I just tell them I keep my accounts separte.

Although I have not been questioned when purchasing a large amount of GC, if I was I would say they are employee bonuses.

lobo411 Apr 17, 2014 9:23 pm

I never got asked why, but I did figure out a plausible story in case I did. I thought I'd tell them that I had a family member with psychological problems. The needed help paying the mortgage/bills, but I didn't trust them with my personal financial records so gift cards are a good way to help them out.

My thinking was that the story explains why I need large amounts of gift cards, while being embarrassing enough that the clerk will regret having asked. TMI. :cool:

bobert24 Apr 17, 2014 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by fluffyCat (Post 22722591)
I've been asked a few times why I load in $500 increments instead of a full $1,000. I just tell them I keep my accounts separte.

I generally find that honesty is the best policy, particularly when worded correctly: "My debit card has a limit of $500 per swipe."

wrxmom Apr 17, 2014 11:08 pm

You (and nor any of us) shouldn't have to explain your (our) purchases.

Do they ask why you're buying protein bars? Or why you're buying lettuce? Or, what your prescription is for (if you're at the pharmacy)?

commdiver Apr 17, 2014 11:14 pm

How else am I supposed to pay for my freaking Rolls Royce?!?! :mad:

cbn42 Apr 18, 2014 12:25 am

Originally Posted by wrxmom (Post 22722908)
You (and nor any of us) shouldn't have to explain your (our) purchases.

You shouldn't have to, but sometimes you do. Taking the "none of your business" approach is likely to result in further questioning. Remember that no one is obligated to sell you anything.

I personally believe that honesty is the best policy. I don't volunteer information, but if asked I give a vague answer. "I am buying them to better my money" or "I want to keep this money separate for now" are good answers.

Alcibiades Apr 18, 2014 12:26 am

Originally Posted by rgAAFT (Post 22722522)
(by the way, Tom thumb has no know limit on value of cards one can buy with no need to fill out paperwork)

Yes, Safeway has a limit even if the store manager is unaware of it

hamhead Apr 18, 2014 5:18 am

You don't have to say anything and under no obligation to tell the truth. So say whatever you think sounds better.

Only time it makes sense to tell the truth is in cases where it is in your best interest to and a lie would only make things worse (IRS audit, bank inquiry where you are depositing 20k/mo in money orders, etc.).

ashap Apr 18, 2014 5:34 am

How best to explain MS to unkowing store clerks?

1. I pay my bills with them
2. I use them for employee bonuses

Giving details to store clerks is never a good thing

Churnman Apr 18, 2014 6:01 am

Store clerks have asked me why we (ms'ers they see in store) buy GCs and reloadables all the time and I simply tell them we get more miles or points on our cards so we can go on free vacations. They are overjoyed when they here that and suddenly it all makes sense for them and they are happy to be a part of helping us anyway they can. I really don't know why ms'ers feel they have to be sly about this. It's no big deal when you tell them you want more cc points, cash back or miles. Every clerk I know who understands the why loves the idea of helping ms'ers get there cb, free flights, free hotels and more. But, I don't live in a big city so maybe our Midwest town treats ms'ers better, but not sure.

canyoncar Apr 18, 2014 6:57 am

In the CV days I explained to the gals in my store how "I get airline miles for these" which was enough for them to sell me 5k/day without hesitation. I'm not gonna go through the hassle for every damn grocery store cashier though.

hamhead Apr 18, 2014 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Churnman (Post 22723745)
Store clerks have asked me why we (ms'ers they see in store) buy GCs and reloadables all the time and I simply tell them we get more miles or points on our cards so we can go on free vacations. They are overjoyed when they here that and suddenly it all makes sense for them and they are happy to be a part of helping us anyway they can. I really don't know why ms'ers feel they have to be sly about this. It's no big deal when you tell them you want more cc points, cash back or miles. Every clerk I know who understands the why loves the idea of helping ms'ers get there cb, free flights, free hotels and more. But, I don't live in a big city so maybe our Midwest town treats ms'ers better, but not sure.

It depends on the store to me. With CVS, everyone and their mom knew what was going on (managers, cashiers, etc.). Corporate had dictated policy and most stores followed it.

With some grocery stores (possibly excluding Kroger because they've seen their fare share of MS buying power for some time now), and maybe this is anecdotal, managers seem far more knee jerk in shutting it down. It seems they have more discretion over local store policy than CVS did (I know some CVS went cash only much earlier but it wasn't the majority). They aren't used to the cash size for GCs. I've had cashiers that have worked there for 10+ years literally tell me that one $500 GC is the largest they've ever loaded. They'd .... a brick if I plopped 10 on the counter. If I tell cashiers what I'm doing, chances are it gets back to the management.

I'd probably be open to management if they addressed me directly and felt a lie wouldn't cove rme. But for the moment, I'm not going to stir the pot unnecessarily with my local grocery stores.

js80 Apr 18, 2014 7:37 am

Who cares? Why come up with sneaky, creative explanations. Either tell them the truth if you want to satisfy their curiousity or tell them to mind their own business.