Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tip for Buying reloadit with CC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by sstalev
I'm in San Diego and I tried to buy a $500 reloadit at Vons today with a CC. This is how it went.

Manager: it's cash only.
Me: but it doesn't say that anywhere.
Mngr: it's a store policy and I'm choosing to enforce it.
Me: can i see this policy?
Mngr: I don't have it, I was told by a higher up.
Me: can i talk to them?
Mngr: they're not here. I'm the highest level here right now.
Me: okay so you don't have any proof of the store policy?
Mngr: correct. But I'm choosing to enforce it.
Me: alright

And I left... FML. I didn't try playing the "merchant agreement" card. Anyone have any suggestions?
Go during a different time, go to a different store, find a new game.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by thorax
There was no way you were going to win that, so thanks for being a dick. We all appreciate it. How about next time you just say thank you and leave instead of asking to see the policy?
^^^
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by thorax
There was no way you were going to win that, so thanks for being a dick. We all appreciate it. How about next time you just say thank you and leave instead of asking to see the policy?
Well said. It's antics like this that wreck every deal for everyone.

The idiocy, arrogance, self-importance and sense of entitlement of so many playing this game is depressing. People...
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:26 am
Suspended

I'm in San Diego and I tried to buy a $500 reloadit at Vons today with a CC. This is how it went.

And I left... FML. I didn't try playing the "merchant agreement" card. Anyone have any suggestions?
Yes, the trial and tribulations you've faced are the stuff of legends. Our children's children will speak of this and tell tales of how much your life was indeed f'ked.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:44 pm
jmw

What ever happened to saying "thank you", being polite, and leave? Then you accused the manager of lying implicitly by asking proof of the policy? I would be mad if I were the manager too.

Don't pay any attention to posters who say that this dumb tactic worked once. That's like saying gambling with the lotto is a good idea because a friend of a friend won $10 on a $1 ticket. Now the manager knows your face and there will probably be a team meeting reminder to not sell reloadit with a CC, especially to you. Even the most forgetful and carefree cashier is now no longer usable by any MSer in the local area.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:49 pm

I'm pretty sure this dude is just trolling. He's only got 3 posts. Nobody who has even the slightest understanding of how delicate this hobby is can actually be that obtuse.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: All
Originally Posted by mikeyb45
I'm pretty sure this dude is just trolling. He's only got 3 posts. Nobody who has even the slightest understanding of how delicate this hobby is can actually be that obtuse.
Yes they can. I have personally seen it on a couple of occasions. The idiots don't realize that asking for a manager or calling corporate only brings attention to themselves much less all of MS. It is just one more symptom of the entitlement some people think they have.

There are rare instances where churn and burn are the proper course, but most of the time steady and under the radar will result in more earnings. Just look at the greendot thread for stories of people who were shutdown after hitting it hard to made $50 bucks. I was netting over $1.5k a month for more than two years before RA stopped taking CC.

For my personal source of RL I have just learned when to go to the store and when to drive by. One manager rings them up for me herself after checking my ID, another says cash only. I realize that if I complain to the one it is more likely the entire store goes cash only before they all start letting me buy with cc. But then again I am not a self entitled jerk.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by SeahawkRaptor
Yes they can. I have personally seen it on a couple of occasions. The idiots don't realize that asking for a manager or calling corporate only brings attention to themselves much less all of MS. It is just one more symptom of the entitlement some people think they have.
+1 on this. Gent in front of me at customer service in Walmart this AM very smoothly bought a couple of MO's, did a couple BP's, and then had some load fail on a problem with his debit card. He immediately began yelling at the cashier that she screwed it up, wasn't trained properly, demanded a supervisor and then yelled at her, etc. I just cringed. Sometimes its more the attitude than the experience level.

Back OT, try Reloadits in smaller amounts (e.g. $300 for TM) until you can assess the viability of a store.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:24 pm

I didn't try playing the "merchant agreement" card. Anyone have any suggestions?
There is no relevant part of a "merchant agreement" applicable to this scenario.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: All
So anyone who reads this understands, years ago the "stock" merchant agreement issued by MC, Visa, etc contained language that required a merchant take credit for every product sold with no markup or minimum purchase amount. Individual companies were always free to negotiate the agreement terms, and in any event many laws have been enacted to override any terms put out by the card companies. That is why (in my area at least) you now see gas stations that charge more for credit and mom and pop businesses with $5 min for credit now.

So screaming "comply with the merchant agreement" MIGHT get you one purchase. Then that manager checks it out, finds out that there is no such thing, and tells all the other managers who lock down the store (or the chain for that matter) for good from MS. But the guy screaming just made 500 miles so he is an internet message board tough guy.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, USairways, BA, United, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Plat , Marriott, Sixt Platinum
Any success in Los Angeles area? Will Paypal for tip PM me
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
I've been able to buy at my local Vons. But when I buy $950, it raises all sorts of alarm bells requiring two manager overrides.

In the interest of not raising eyebrows and trying to nurture this store, does anyone know the cutoff dollar amount where I can buy with no alerts at the cashier?

Last edited by ToneDaBass; Oct 24, 2014 at 12:10 pm Reason: clarification
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by ToneDaBass
I've been able to buy at my local Vons. But when I buy $950, it raises all sorts of alarm bells requiring two manager overrides.

In the interest of not raising eyebrows and trying to nurture this store, does anyone know the cutoff dollar amount where I can buy with no alerts at the cashier?
Less than 500(496 to be precise) as it doesn't require manager override
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by concordian
Less than 500(496 to be precise) as it doesn't require manager override
But still it is up to mercy of the cashier.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
Of course, but this store so far has been MS friendly and I want to keep it that way by not raising any alarms. If the cashier has to keep on calling over the manager, the manager might get fed up and create a cash-only store policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.