Tip for Buying reloadit with CC

Old Jun 3, 13, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Tip for Buying reloadit with CC

I've found it pretty difficult to buy the $950 reloadit cards with a CC until today. I tried 3 separate stores who initially told me cash only give in and let me buy with CC after I informed them they would be in violation of the azusa or mastercard merchant agreement by not accepting my card since they accept the card at the store. Each time I brought that up, the manager just did an override and that was it. I did it at 3 separate safeway stores Maryland. So next time you get shut down, give it a try.
Old Jun 3, 13, 1:35 pm

Which store was giving you trouble?

If its a STORE policy (at the discretion of the Store Manager) then I can see this happening over and over. If its a district (all stores say no even if the register will take it) or corporate policy (registers hard coded NOT to take a certain reloads no matter what the staff says) Im not so sure you will have such an easy time changing that.
Old Jun 3, 13, 1:39 pm

You sound like an *. Just accept what they say and move on to a better store.
Old Jun 3, 13, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

4 for 4....bought another one today, was initially told cash or debit only, I said no to it takes credit card, and they have to accept the credit card for all purchases that can be processed with credit card (based on their merchant agreement with Visa). Saying "cash only" on the card isn't valid since the cards are not hard coded as cash only. About a minute later, it was walking out with my $950 reloadit p
urchase with my Capital one venture card. I bought one in silver spring, one in Baltimore, one in Ashburn VA and another in Columbia MD (all on thewway to or from work). Pretty much testing the stores out and this technique has worked every time (so far)
Old Jun 3, 13, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I'm an .... Thanks. And I'll continue being an .... Have a good day
Old Jun 3, 13, 3:18 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
I have had success and gotten shut down at the same store. It's the same thing with VR's. You end up figuring out which cashiers will allow it (AKA Don't care) and which cashiers won't allow it. I don't get upset or start stating rules and regulations because in reality you can always take your business elsewhere...
Old Jun 3, 13, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

I don't get upset either, I just state the rules. I still haven't found a store that would sell it with a CC right off the bat . Now I have 4 different choices to get these and if they reject me I'll point out that they sold it to me previously and if that doesn't work I'll use the "merchant agreement" card again.
Old Jun 3, 13, 4:27 pm

Stores can now Sur-Charge Card Transations.

Surcharging Rules

1) Surcharge may be up to 4% but may not exceed the actual cost of processing a transaction.
If the cost to accept a competitor brand card like Amex is higher the merchant may use this higher cost to base their fee as long as the total surcharge does not exceed 4%.
2) Must post a disclosure at the point of sale that a surcharge is being charged but does not have to list the exact amount of the surcharge. The disclosure may read as follows: “We impose a surcharge of ____% on the total transaction amount of Visa, MC, Amex & Discover credit card products, which is not greater than our cost of acceptance. We do not surcharge any pin or signature debit cards.”
3) The exact amount of the surcharge must be listed on the customer receipt.
4) Signature check cards and pin debit cards are excluded from surcharging.
5) 10 states currently prohibit surcharging; California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas. Visa and MC have rules the require retailers to handle cards the same way in all of their stores across the country. That means a retailer with stores in any of these 10 states would not be able to surcharge in their other locations in states that may allow surcharging.
6) Must surcharge across all card types. Cannot just select Visa and/or MC to surcharge.
7) Retailer must register with Visa www.visavisa.com/merchantsurcharging and with MC via the Acquirer to disclose their intent to surcharge.
8) Due to all of the front and backend system upgrades that will need to be made to accommodate these updates, it is expected that it will be late 2013 before merchants will be able to implement this.
Old Jun 3, 13, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Not gonna happen with Safeway or any other major nationwide chain....

WASHINGTON, January 30, 2013 – Despite some groups’ claims, the National Retail Federation said today that few, if any, merchants are expected to surcharge customers for using a credit card as theoretically allowed under a controversial proposed lawsuit settlement with Visa and MasterCard being debated in the courts.

“The ridiculous concept that merchants will start surcharging on any widespread basis is propaganda being spread by the card industry in an attempt to divert attention from their skyrocketing swipe fees,” NRF Senior Vice President and General Counsel Mallory Duncan said. “The lawsuit sought to bring down swipe fees and the prices paid by consumers, not to increase prices. The card companies’ new surcharging proposal runs 180 degrees counter to the intent of the lawsuit.”

“While there conceivably could be exceptions, merchants in general have no intention of surcharging,” Duncan said. “We have discussed the settlement with many of our members and other merchants, and not a single one has said they will surcharge.”

While the settlement would allow retailers to surcharge, a number of obstacles would prevent most merchants from actually doing so even if they wanted to:

Ten states representing 40 percent of all U.S. credit card transactions – California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas – prohibit surcharges by law.
Visa and MasterCard require a retailer to have the same card acceptance policies in all its stores. It is therefore questionable whether national chains or regional chains with stores in the 10 states above would be able to surcharge in the 40 other states.
The settlement requires merchants who surcharge Visa or MasterCard to also surcharge American Express. But American Express contracts bar merchants from surcharging that company’s cards, meaning a merchant who accepts American Express would not be allowed to surcharge any cards at all.
The settlement allows merchants to surcharge select premium credit cards that carry the highest swipe fees, but gives merchants no way to identify those cards.
Merchants would be required to go through a number of complicated steps in order to surcharge, including giving Visa and MasterCard detailed plans at least 30 days in advance, posting extensive signage in stores, and spending significant amounts to reprogram or replace cash register systems. Ironically, merchants might also have to pay swipe fees on the amount of the surcharge, further driving up fees collected by the card industry.
Old Jun 3, 13, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by frogdog51 View Post
I've found it pretty difficult to buy the $950 reloadit cards with a CC until today. I tried 3 separate stores who initially told me cash only give in and let me buy with CC after I informed them they would be in violation of the azusa or mastercard merchant agreement by not accepting my card since they accept the card at the store. Each time I brought that up, the manager just did an override and that was it. I did it at 3 separate safeway stores Maryland. So next time you get shut down, give it a try.
This is awesome. I am going to try it out.

So what happens if they still refuse. Can I get around it somehow?

This should apply to Greendot that is being sold at Wallgreens too, where it is hard coded as cash only.
Old Jun 4, 13, 10:12 am
jk2

Originally Posted by frogdog51 View Post
I don't get upset either, I just state the rules. I still haven't found a store that would sell it with a CC right off the bat . Now I have 4 different choices to get these and if they reject me I'll point out that they sold it to me previously and if that doesn't work I'll use the "merchant agreement" card again.
I don't understand this. Are you applying that if the store accepts CC as payment for the goods, you can force them to sell whatever you want (reloads, MO) with CC? Did you try this approach at CVS for MoneyPaks?
Old Jun 4, 13, 10:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by jk2 View Post
I don't understand this. Are you applying that if the store accepts CC as payment for the goods, you can force them to sell whatever you want (reloads, MO) with CC? Did you try this approach at CVS for MoneyPaks?
very reliable source told me that cvs cannot take cc for mp, they are hard coded and cannot be over ridden by anyone in the store
Old Jun 4, 13, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by jk2 View Post
yup, that is what he is saying. that if a store accepts Mastercard they have to take Mastercard for all products they sell in the store.
Old Jun 4, 13, 3:00 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by aegt123 View Post
yup, that is what he is saying. that if a store accepts Mastercard they have to take Mastercard for all products they sell in the store.
Nonsense.

Good luck with that.
Old Jun 4, 13, 4:49 pm

The VISA-Merchant Agreement is just that.. an agreement between the merchant and Visa.
Visa may choose to enforce (or not enforce) the agreement in part or in whole whenever they see fit.

If drugstore/grocery stores have come to an understanding with VISA/MC/AMEX regarding the acceptance of CCs for "certain" products there is NOTHING you can do force VISA/MC/AMEX to enforce their own contract.

If you dont believe it stroll into Walmart with your copy of the merchant agreement and see how far you get trying to buy a MP.

Not doubting your 4/4 success story but I think you are testing your theory at stores that can take CC for reloads at their discretion (store policy). Test your theory with the big boys if you think it can hold up in the wild.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: