Wiki Posts
Search

Meeting Amex BGR Spend

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Meeting Amex BGR Spend

Hi all!

I'm trying to meet 5k spend for the Amex BGR card. Under the offer terms, it states:

Eligible purchases are purchases of goods and services minus returns and other credits, and do not include fees or interest charges, cash advances, purchases of traveler’s checks, purchase or reloading of reloadable pre-paid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents.

Does "purchases of other cash equivalents" include gift cards? Now that GCM is back for TCB, I'd like to purchase a couple of Visa GCs but obviously will refrain from doing so if Amex views this purchase as against their offer terms and doesn't credit me for the spend.

I'm probably overthinking this but would appreciate input.

Thank you!
Old May 17, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I bought a lot of Amex GC's on Bigcrumbs and it was counted toward my min spend for this card.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

I've always wondered this as well. American Express encourages the use of their credit cards to purchase American Express gift cards, so I've always thought that gift cards were not considered cash equivalents.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Most of the gift cards I buy don't have the same taste, texture, color or feel as cash. Certainly not equivalent.
Old May 18, 2013, 8:43 pm

What they say and what actually happens are two different things.
Old May 20, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: Several dozen
And what happens may include an invitation to dinner with Cardinal Fang. And he loved to serve stake for dinner.

Watch the volume or wait for the FR.

Originally Posted by Tummy
What they say and what actually happens are two different things.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Those two lines have been included in Amex apps for a while now, but I can't remember reading about a single incident where someone reported not getting their points.

Coincidentally, someone else has the same question as you.
Does Amex consider gift cards to be cash equivalents?

People even have been flat out asked if they've been purchasing VR, but Amex hasn't clawed back anything.

Now what you really have to be careful about is what the ever wonderful AlohaDaveKenedy warned you about.
Watch the volume or you'll get a FR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.