Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Does Amex consider gift cards "cash equivalents"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Amex consider gift cards "cash equivalents"?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Amex started denying rewards to purchase of reloads

Update: Now it's not a question of whether it hurts, but how much... Thanks BenH for his report at post #23: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20872978-post23.html

Short summary is that at least 2 types of reloads (VR, MP) are not receiving cash rewards. Gift cards are still OK for now.

End of Update.

Just read from another thread that Amex is not giving cash rebate to "reload" cards. It's quite surprising that no discussion here. I checked the T&C in Amex site and indeed it is buried under "Terms and limitations apply" -- you have to click the tiny sign (†) to see it. (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...sh-back-cards/)

Now the question becomes whether gift cards are considered "cash equivalents"? It's quite chilling because in that same thread someone reported claw back of reward dollars by Amex (though for a different reason). What if one year later Amex wants you to return all the cash back because it's earns on "cash equivalents"?

Amex T&C (bold is mine):

Cash back is earned only on eligible purchases and is earned in the form of Blue Cash Reward DollarsSM (reward dollars). You can redeem reward dollars for statement credit, merchandise and gift cards, whenever your available reward dollars balance is 25 or more. The number of reward dollars you earn is based on a percentage of the dollar amount of your eligible purchases during each billing period.

Eligible Purchases means purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply.

You will earn a reward of 3% on the first $6,000 of eligible purchases in an annual reward year at supermarkets located in the U.S. (superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets). An annual reward year is 12 billing periods in a row starting with the one that begins in January; 2% on eligible purchases of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations); 2% on eligible purchases at select department stores located in the U.S. (The current list of select major department stores at which you can earn a 2% reward is available at americanexpress.com/rewards-info); and 1% on all other eligible purchases.

Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not earn a higher percentage reward if the merchant’s code is not eligible. Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not earn a higher percentage reward. A purchase may not earn a higher percentage reward if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet.

Last edited by shel; Jun 10, 2013 at 11:03 am Reason: Update
Old May 15, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by shel
Just read from another thread that Amex is not giving cash rebate to "reload" cards. It's quite surprising that no discussion here.
If you read it in a thread, then wouldn't that qualify as discussion (that might even be continued in said thread)?
It's not discussed further because it's not a concern.
/thread
Old May 16, 2013, 12:00 am

Amex cash back

Have you checked if Amex disqualified your grocery purchases for cash back bonus? There might be a glitch (crossing fingers)
Old May 16, 2013, 1:01 am

Just read from another thread that Amex is not giving cash rebate to "reload" cards. It's quite surprising that no discussion here. I checked the T&C in Amex site and indeed it is buried under "Terms and limitations apply" -- you have to click the tiny sign (†) to see it. (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...sh-back-cards/)

Now the question becomes whether gift cards are considered "cash equivalents"? It's quite chilling because in that same thread someone reported claw back of reward dollars by Amex (though for a different reason). What if one year later Amex wants you to return all the cash back because it's earns on "cash equivalents"?
Yes, gift cards are considered cash equivalents, and AMEX has had that wording in the fine print for a while. They could probably claw back the last several years rewards if they could tell what you were buying and if they felt like pursuing it. As it is now they don't know what you are buying and they have not been pursuing clawing back. They have handled it by putting a cap on the rewards your can earn.
Old May 16, 2013, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
If you read it in a thread, then wouldn't that qualify as discussion (that might even be continued in said thread)?
It's not discussed further because it's not a concern.
/thread
The other thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20757788-post47.html but main concern there is the cap. I think this forum is more focused on the "cash equivalents".

Anyway we are in unchartered water. Just be prepared someday Amex may want you to return $$$ that was "bank error" in your favor.
Old May 16, 2013, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ddallas
Yes, gift cards are considered cash equivalents, and AMEX has had that wording in the fine print for a while. They could probably claw back the last several years rewards if they could tell what you were buying and if they felt like pursuing it. As it is now they don't know what you are buying and they have not been pursuing clawing back. They have handled it by putting a cap on the rewards your can earn.
Thanks for the insight. But the "cash equivalents" clause in T&C is new -- supposed to take effect May 1. I'm not worried about years back but going forward.

Does Amex know what you are buying? No one is sure. For example, Discover knows your "cash back" and doesn't give rebate on it. Has Amex required grocery stores to break down the "cash equivalents"? I hope not.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
required spend

Not only cash back. Will Amex not allow GC as part of a required spend to get a sign up bonus?
Old May 17, 2013, 8:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Just read from another thread that Amex is not giving cash rebate to "reload" cards.
This language now appears in the terms of all USA-issued American Express personal cards. I do not recall any report of the terms being enforced as written. Have you?

I have read reports of cardholders being asked during telephone discussions if specific transactions were Vanilla Reloads, but there were no consequences. This does not mean that the terms will never be enforced as written.

American Express practice frequently differs from policy, and usually in the customers' favor, but if practice is later brought into alignment with policy it usually happens abruptly, and customer service then has no flexibility to make exceptions.
Old May 18, 2013, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by mia
This language now appears in the terms of all USA-issued American Express personal cards. I do not recall any report of the terms being enforced as written. Have you?

I have read reports of cardholders being asked during telephone discussions if specific transactions were Vanilla Reloads, but there were no consequences. This does not mean that the terms will never be enforced as written.

American Express practice frequently differs from policy, and usually in the customers' favor, but if practice is later brought into alignment with policy it usually happens abruptly, and customer service then has no flexibility to make exceptions.
During a FR, Amex specifically asked if I had bought VRs. It started with asking if I had made large ($500) purchases at CVS. I said "yes, I bought GCs". They responded by asking if I had bought VRs. I told them yes I had. They can most definitely see what we are buying (at least a FR rep can). They mentioned that they did not like this practice, but beyond that nothing came of it. And I then went on to pass my FR (even though my 2011 income was ~5k less than what I had reported on my Amex application in 2012). I have since not bought any VRs with that Amex card.
Old May 18, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by ddallas
I suspect that would be a PR disaster!
Old May 18, 2013, 1:15 pm

@shel "Unchartered waters"

I haven't laughed so hard in a while.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by pdxp2b
@shel "Unchartered waters"

I haven't laughed so hard in a while.
He must be the guy who "hided" the VRs
Old May 31, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
liquidate Amex gift card?

Well, I've searched and searched. I can't find the answer to the simple question in the post title. Can you turn Amex Gift card into cash? Is there any way to load them into BlueBird?
Thanks
Old May 31, 2013, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by thebat
Well, I've searched and searched. I can't find the answer to the simple question in the post title. Can you turn Amex Gift card into cash? Is there any way to load them into BlueBird?
Thanks
I heard that Amex was not affected by the law that required Visa/MC GC's to start issuing PINs. So without a PIN, you cant load it to BB.
Old May 31, 2013, 4:08 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vagrants; Jun 1, 2013 at 4:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.