Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by st.exupery
Looks like you can add a PIN for ordinary Vanilla GCs. Wondering if anyone has tried the PIN feature w. BB/Walmart or money orders, thanks
I tried to use Vanilla Visa Gift Card as debit in Aldi couple of days ago, but the terminal rejected with some error code.

Last edited by mia; Apr 5, 2013 at 8:35 am
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by jm38750n
Since no one mentioned the obvious..... Vanilla Reload game is BACK ON go to Walgreens where they accept Cash or DEBIT only....
What would be the point in doing that? $5.95 + $3.95

Originally Posted by st.exupery
Looks like you can add a PIN for ordinary Vanilla GCs. Wondering if anyone has tried the PIN feature w. BB/Walmart or money orders, thanks
https://www.vanillavisa.com/home.htm...ard&csrfToken=
Originally Posted by jk2
Today I went to WM to test if it would work for debit transactions like MO. I decided to buy $1K MO and ask cashier to split transaction with first payment of $500. I swiped my Visa GC, enterd PIN and viola - "approved".

Last edited by Bender464; Apr 5, 2013 at 9:13 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies. Repair formatting.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jk2
I did not test Mastercard GC (the one from mygiftcardsite.com), but I think it would work as well.
Is anyone a little apprehensive about entering your gift card information at this site? Seems like you're just handing someone all the information they need to shop on-line with your gift card. Is anyone familiar with the web site?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
Is anyone a little apprehensive about entering your gift card information at this site? Seems like you're just handing someone all the information they need to shop on-line with your gift card. Is anyone familiar with the web site?
That's the website from the back of the GC to register!
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mshah
That's the website from the back of the GC to register!
Oh good , that makes me feel much better. I *really* tried to read the fine print but my eyes couldn't focus on print that small and I don't have a magnifying glass

So I tried the site -- no dice with adding a PIN. Could only register the card.

Last edited by MDWCommuter; Apr 5, 2013 at 9:18 am
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
Oh good , that makes me feel much better. I *really* tried to read the fine print but my eyes couldn't focus on print that small and I don't have a magnifying glass
I need one myself, it's almost impossible for me to read!
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Since no one mentioned the obvious..... Vanilla Reload game is BACK ON go to Walgreens where they accept Cash or DEBIT only....
The Walgreens near me accept cash only. Are you sure they take Debit?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:58 am
jdl

Can you please explain this idea? I'm not seeing the benefit of GC w/PIN --> Walgreens VR --> X.

If X is BB, then that will cost you fee for GC + fee for VR. In that case why not just do straight GC w/PIN --> BB via Walmart? That will save you one fee. Even if X is something else, you will always have that second fee when you get the VR.
Thanks.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:20 am

You can buy these at Kroger and get gas points which offsets the 5.95 fee as long as you get 12 gallons or more when you fill up (assuming $500 GC purchased). Then liquidate at Walmart buying MO like OP suggested.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by newbynewbynew
You can buy these at Kroger and get gas points which offsets the 5.95 fee as long as you get 12 gallons or more when you fill up (assuming $500 GC purchased). Then liquidate at Walmart buying MO like OP suggested.
Not to mention that you can offset the fee or make a profit if you have cards that get grocery awards.

Keep in mind that Kroger doesn't give fuel points on cards greater than $100 bucks. A good rewards card is the better play here. I think a couple have already been mentioned.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Not to mention that you can offset the fee or make a profit if you have cards that get grocery awards.

Keep in mind that Kroger doesn't give fuel points on cards greater than $100 bucks. A good rewards card is the better play here. I think a couple have already been mentioned.
^
Only purchases of eligible items made at Fred Meyer using your Fred Meyer Rewards® Card or Fred Meyer Rewards® Visa®are eligible for Fuel Points. Accumulation of Fuel Points and Rewards Points excludes fuel, tobacco, postage stamps, lottery tickets, Western Union, money orders, transit passes, fees, game licenses, phone activation, sales tax, Ticketmaster, any purchases prohibited by law and the following gift cards: Fred Meyer, Kroger, MasterCard®, Visa®, American Express®, Green Dot® and financial variable load gift cards.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:37 am

This is the greatest news I have heard in a seriously long time... essentially, this lessens the need for AP.

Sometimes I jump to conclusions too fast and then realize, wooopsies... but seriously, with this development, no more need for complicated Jungle rings, correct?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by jdl
Can you please explain this idea? I'm not seeing the benefit of GC w/PIN --> Walgreens VR --> X.

If X is BB, then that will cost you fee for GC + fee for VR. In that case why not just do straight GC w/PIN --> BB via Walmart? That will save you one fee. Even if X is something else, you will always have that second fee when you get the VR.
Thanks.
Not sure that's very profitable either. It's a $2 fee, with a $100 limit a day, and a $1,000 limit per month.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Bender464
^
It's different in certain states. Some states won't let you get fuel points on anything but restaurant cards. Mine works for 100 buck cards. I get enough rewards to warrant the purchases from a few of my cards.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:55 am

this is still 3 times more expensive than the VR at OD. Time to get creative now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.