Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by OC_Matt
GE has no stripe so he had to type all info in. I believe he chose passport then entered the info. He had to ask my address and used the known traveler # as the passport #. If you look at their screen, you will see that it is not difficult at all.
Doesn't sound like that will work at most locations.

Did you lie about your address so it wouldn't match your drivers license?

Has anyone had a passport work without them manually entering info?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, Hyatt Explorist, JetBlue Mosaic, Wyndham Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by exarkun
Doesn't sound like that will work at most locations.

Did you lie about your address so it wouldn't match your drivers license?

Has anyone had a passport work without them manually entering info?
Why wouldn't it work at every location? If they ask for a DL and all you have is GE, Passport or Military ID, why would they deny a sale if those are clearly acceptable in their machine?

I gave him the same address that was on my DL.

GE and Passports do not have your address on them nor do they have a mag strip that can be read by their machine.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by OC_Matt
Why wouldn't it work at every location? If they ask for a DL and all you have is GE, Passport or Military ID, why would they deny a sale if those are clearly acceptable in their machine?

I gave him the same address that was on my DL.

GE and Passports do not have your address on them nor do they have a mag strip that can be read by their machine.
I mean it won't work at most locations for purchasing more than $2,000 in 24 hours at CVS.

I had already purchased $2,000 at a different CVS that day, using my drivers license as ID. At a 2nd location, I tried to use my passport. As part of their entry of the passport, they required my address. Once they entered my address, the system notified them that I had already met the limit on prepaid card purchases in the last 24 hours and could not purchase any more.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:06 pm

tell me again why it even matters that they scan your driver's license?

everyone seems to be panicking... seems like a small price to pay for a huge bonus?

unless there is some kind of IRS audit risk from DL scans. what's the deal?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011

everyone seems to be panicking... seems like a small price to pay for a huge bonus?

I could be wrong but I think it's just that they want to circumvent the $2000 per 24 hour limit that CVS has.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011

No one is panicking. Some say they can use passport or global entry as a 2nd form of idea to get more than $2k in prepaid cards per 24 hours at CVS. I cannot get this to work.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by exarkun
No one is panicking. Some say they can use passport or global entry as a 2nd form of idea to get more than $2k in prepaid cards per 24 hours at CVS. I cannot get this to work.
Did you try telling them a different address?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by riverdoglb
I could be wrong but I think it's just that they want to circumvent the $2000 per 24 hour limit that CVS has.
You may have wronged.
My id may have been blocked by CVS. Been purchasing about 25-30k a month at cvs with my id. 3 weeks ago I had an error "a system issues prevent the system from complete the transaction at this time. please try back later..." after they swiped my id. Came back next day, same problem, tried different locations and had the same issues. My wife in other hand had no problem when purchased.
Went to cvs with my wife yesterday. Gave them my id, had the same error message. asked the cashier to swipe my wife's id and the error went away.
Anyone had the same problem?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 5:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by langthang2007
You may have wronged.
My id may have been blocked by CVS.
Far more likely that your ID bar code was damaged in some way that prevents their system from reading it correctly.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:30 am

Has anyone tried using a Federal Common Access Card (CAC) when CVS asks for an ID? I just moved to a new state and haven't received my permanent driver's license in the mail yet.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:57 pm

Got an new Id probably will solve your issue. Your Id probably is outdated or damaged. I used to have problem to purchase more than 1 VGC card using my ID or my wife's two years ago. I needed to convince every new clerk to manually key in my ID information and not to scan my ID so I can purchase more than 1 VGCs. It took me about 5 months to find out all I needed was to replace my ID since CVS couldn't recognize the outdated Id systems like mine.(My ID was issued 9 year ago).

Till now, My wife's id is still not working since she didn't want to stop by the driver licence office. She thinks it is a waste of her time for 10 miles drive and 1 hour wait at the office .

Originally Posted by langthang2007
You may have wronged.
My id may have been blocked by CVS. Been purchasing about 25-30k a month at cvs with my id. 3 weeks ago I had an error "a system issues prevent the system from complete the transaction at this time. please try back later..." after they swiped my id. Came back next day, same problem, tried different locations and had the same issues. My wife in other hand had no problem when purchased.
Went to cvs with my wife yesterday. Gave them my id, had the same error message. asked the cashier to swipe my wife's id and the error went away.
Anyone had the same problem?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by wuchien6401
Till now, My wife's id is still not working since she didn't want to stop by the driver licence office. She thinks it is a waste of her time for 10 miles drive and 1 hour wait at the office .
I know right! Wife's/girlfirends just don't get it. Even when everything is explained to them, they just don't get it!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:42 pm

So I went to my regular CVS yesterday to pick up some OV's, and the cashier that helped me was the manager. I thought everything would go smoothly, but the "Alternate Payment Required" message kept popping up. . The cashier said the credit card company was not letting it go through. Checked my phone for a fraud alert text, and nothing showed up. Went home later and called Chase, and everything was fine...

It was weird, because when I asked for the little receipt that says "Transaction cancelled," the cashier manager got visibly annoyed and outright said "No! It's for company records."

At that point, I decided it's probably best to just leave. I saw the receipt slip and it said everything was cancelled, so pretty sure it's okay. I thanked her for trying as politely as possible. Informed her she's probably right and that I'll call my bank later -- and then I left lol.

I read somewhere that the "Alternate Payment Required" pops up if the cashier made a mistake or entered the CVV instead of the last 4 digits. We tried 3 times, so do you think she was intentionally mis-typing it? Maybe there was something on my part I mis-stepped on?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:22 pm

Anyone know If I can split tender using a cvs gift card plus the rest on any cc? might have alot of cvs gc coming in via discover.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by moops380
Anyone know If I can split tender using a cvs gift card plus the rest on any cc? might have alot of cvs gc coming in via discover.
NO, CVS GCs cannot be used in part or full payment for other GCs not just VGCs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.