Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Not sure if this is the place to post it, but for those of you without recourse after CVS stopped taking CCs and those who also live in a college town: check your local college bookstore for VRs.

That's all I'll say w/o giving up too much
I'll second this generosity by saying I've found two more locations that CC can be used to purchase. Neither of them are on the VR site list. That brings my list to 3. If you are in AZ, WY or IL send me a PM and I'll give some details.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by kildonan500
[redacted]
To be a little bit fair, all the stuff about scanning DLs (at that point focussed on VR) used to be in the Wiki, but now it has gone. Newer people might be surprised and think it is post-worthy. Yes, they could read the thread and see it has been mentioned many times, but that's just not going to happen.

Last edited by cbn42; May 8, 2014 at 1:45 am
Old May 8, 2014, 5:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by italdesign
Haha, awesome. I wonder if good ole pricesquire was pulling our leg...
Luckily it was just a walk over for the trip!
Old May 8, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by silver6054
To be a little bit fair, all the stuff about scanning DLs (at that point focussed on VR) used to be in the Wiki, but now it has gone. Newer people might be surprised and think it is post-worthy. Yes, they could read the thread and see it has been mentioned many times, but that's just not going to happen.
In that case I owe mh1361 an apology. I haven't checked the Wiki lately, and assumed it was still there. And we can hardly expect any newcomers to this thread to read all 600 + pages of this thread. At least not the first day.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by italdesign
This led me to discover the OD VR video, which made my stomach hurt.
I'll have to check that out later. Thanks for the link.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
In that case I owe mh1361 an apology. I haven't checked the Wiki lately, and assumed it was still there. And we can hardly expect any newcomers to this thread to read all 600 + pages of this thread. At least not the first day.
Someone should definitely add that your DL is going to get scanned for purchases of $1k or more, and if that's a problem limit your transactions to just under that amount. DL scans have been problematic in some areas (including mine) due to higher fraud scrutiny, I've been denied more than once at CVS with them for no reason I can see other than that my area is much tighter on multiple GC/VR sales.
Old May 8, 2014, 1:27 pm

Pure FYI - I think I saw this a few pages back. CVS is now TRULY enforcing the rolling 24 hour window.
Old May 8, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
I'll second this generosity by saying I've found two more locations that CC can be used to purchase. Neither of them are on the VR site list. That brings my list to 3. If you are in AZ, WY or IL send me a PM and I'll give some details.
fill me in! Tucson college student here!

B&N? Bookmans?
Old May 8, 2014, 4:41 pm

What a lunch break I just had.
1. went to cvs, manager rings up 5k worth of OV, then I proceed to pay with AGC. He said,"sorry no gc for gc". The cashier that usually rang me up was on the next line. bad luck. So I left.
2. went to my other CVS, when I got there, the manager and cashiers were outside. One yelled out "no power". wth. so I left.
3. decided to visit costco to withdraw from ATM for Amex for Target. Got there. ATM down. wth.

Got a slice of pizza and went back to work.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo
1. went to cvs, manager rings up 5k worth of OV, then I proceed to pay with AGC. He said,"sorry no gc for gc". The cashier that usually rang me up was on the next line. bad luck. So I left.
2. went to my other CVS, when I got there, the manager and cashiers were outside. One yelled out "no power". wth. so I left.
3. decided to visit costco to withdraw from ATM for Amex for Target. Got there. ATM down. wth.

MS spend : It's a brutal business...
Old May 8, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by sosamo

Damn. 0/3
What is life...
Old May 8, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by Brugge
I just didn't know it was for 1k. I've seen plenty of posts that they'll do it for more, like 5k, I just didn't realize what limit prompted the scan.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by jptravels4fun
MS spend : It's a brutal business...
At least they GOT food during lunch break.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by f0xx
Damn. 0/3
What is life...
I took my wife out on the rounds tonight, and it was a similar story. We visited 5 stores, and 2 were out of stock. I almost got cash only at a usually reliable store. We then went to liquidate to gift cards. She asked me if it was really worth it, but the cash back in the process had paid for our gas, groceries, and dinner in a few hours we had been out.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:33 pm

I don't understand why people worry about getting their DL scanned. Once your credit card is swiped they have all your information anyway.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.