Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

who coined the term "manufactured spending"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Next step is manufactured spending, spending on items which can then be turned back into cold hard cash. For this I'd suggest setting up accounts just for the purpose of meeting minimums. You can deposit your "investment capital" and churn a $5k spending requirement, and then deposit the cash back into your account. Net spending $0, net gain 40,000 or more miles.
--Stubtify Sep 18, 12, 2:29 pm

Were there early references to the term?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:53 pm

I'm surprised it hasn't been trademarked by a blogger yet!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by LAX88
I'm surprised it hasn't been trademarked by a blogger yet!
Time to start the American Association of Spending Manufacturers. Dues are $10k a month, can be be paid with any form of credit or debit, and will be promptly refunded to the memeber's bank account.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:14 am

I wonder if a blog with the title of Manufactured Spending would have a hard time or an easy time getting affiliate links?

Better run with the idea and get there first...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Qo8Q5GsFVQs
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:21 am

The infinite monkey theorem probably had a hand in it.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:38 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Scott from MileValue??

http://milevalue.com/how-to-earn-50k...miles-for-181/
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: Several dozen
Where is the definitive Wiki and urban slang dictionary entries? And what about Websters? I would think if mousepotato made it, manufactured spending should be a shoe in. The whole new economy is built on a solid foundation of manufactured spend, unfunded mandates, and debt that will never be repaid (sorry China). That is the stuff for which Nobels are granted to heads of state. Looking-Glass World never looked so good!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:01 pm

I don't know if this is the earliest reference, but it is certainly earlier than what we have here so far: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...visa-card.html
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has "manufactured spending" made its way into the media yet? I'm sure it will.

It's a great phrase because it captures the essence of the activity.

That said, an even better phrase would be "fabricated spending" because it has a double meaning: you're both "creating something" and "making something up."

Should I copyright it?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
Milevalue first hinted at it with "manufactured" spending...but i think manufactured spending as a distinct phrase w/o quotations goes to stubtify
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Has "manufactured spending" made its way into the media yet? I'm sure it will.

It's a great phrase because it captures the essence of the activity.

That said, an even better phrase would be "fabricated spending" because it has a double meaning: you're both "creating something" and "making something up."

Should I copyright it?
Copyright both! While Fabricated Spending may be a more accurate description, I think Manufactured Spending could be a better blog title. Sounds more manly, more respectable. Fabricated Spending might be harder to get affiliate links for. Sounds a little shady, like Manufactured Spending's less respectable little brother.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ddallas
Copyright both! While Fabricated Spending may be a more accurate description, I think Manufactured Spending could be a better blog title. Sounds more manly, more respectable. Fabricated Spending might be harder to get affiliate links for. Sounds a little shady, like Manufactured Spending's less respectable little brother.
Very true. "Fabricated Spending" is the more descriptive phrase, but perhaps not everyone involved wants to be "fabricating."
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by webazoid
Milevalue first hinted at it with "manufactured" spending...but i think manufactured spending as a distinct phrase w/o quotations goes to stubtify
I don't know where, but I definitely heard the term well before MV existed...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
I don't know where, but I definitely heard the term well before MV existed...
Correct. ADK had used it on this board in 2011, long before the June 2012 milevalue post.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by sk8uno
Correct. ADK had used it on this board in 2011, long before the June 2012 milevalue post.
Another vote for ADK.

I'm on my mobile so I'm limited in my ability to search but he used it here Aug 2012:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19045975-post2479.html

a great post if you haven't read it yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.