Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ways to manufacture miles with BA Chase visa card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2011, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Ways to manufacture miles with BA Chase visa card

I have read a few times now in various threads about problems with using Mint coins with Chase cards. I would need this to meet spending requirement for our new BA Chase cards and was wondering if folks can suggest thumbs up/down before I go down this path.

Also is there any other options I am missing apart from GC/AP?

Appreciate your insights as always,

BM
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:06 pm

BA Miles

You can get a device called squareup offered through chase it works with I Phone or the new android phone it is a small device that connects to your phone you can charge any card and it charges 2%
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL FO
I was wondering the same thing. I remember reading that Chase closed accounts because of the mint.

I got my card in the mail yesterday and prepaid our car insurance for the year. That was 1400 and change. I really want to order one order from the mint for $1000 and have my spending met, get my miles and then forget about the card until it is time to cancel in a year.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: Some.
A one time purchase probably won't be an issue. Purchasing the coins aren't against the rules. Purchasing the coins repetetively for the sole purpose of collecting CC rewards is against the (Chase's and the Mint's) rules.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by TTBHG
I was wondering the same thing. I remember reading that Chase closed accounts because of the mint.

I got my card in the mail yesterday and prepaid our car insurance for the year. That was 1400 and change. I really want to order one order from the mint for $1000 and have my spending met, get my miles and then forget about the card until it is time to cancel in a year.
1k should be no problem. Lots of folks have done that with chase cards without any issues.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Come on guys...rule of thumb is do not discuss cards that work publicly, only those that don't. If you have questions, PM is your friend. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have via PM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by kzubairi
You can get a device called squareup offered through chase it works with I Phone or the new android phone it is a small device that connects to your phone you can charge any card and it charges 2%
Not very smart to use your Chase card for this. Your name will show on the charge. I don’t think Chase will appreciate you getting a cash advance on the card and trying to hide it as a purchase.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by johndeere19
Come on guys...rule of thumb is do not discuss cards that work publicly, only those that don't. If you have questions, PM is your friend. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have via PM.
But as long as you get your question answered with absolutely no effort on your own part what does it matter if you risk buggering it up for everyone else?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold, CO, SPG gold, FL Elite
send a paypal to your friend for goods/services, have them send it back to you less the fees. Should be ~$75 or so on a $2500 xfer
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:12 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Never had a problem with Chase and mint purchases, buy twice a month, but that is not all I charge.

B of A will do a number on you though..but only once...
Old Apr 20, 2011, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by omars007
send a paypal to your friend for goods/services, have them send it back to you less the fees. Should be ~$75 or so on a $2500 xfer
1) More like 145 in fees.
2) Good way to get your account shut down.
3) Can a mod change the title of this thread to "What not to do with a CC"?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 5:15 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO, SPG gold, FL Elite
Originally Posted by QL_714
1) More like 145 in fees.
2) Good way to get your account shut down.
3) Can a mod change the title of this thread to "What not to do with a CC"?
Fees are 2.9%+ .30. That equates to almost $75.
2. Explain how this is the case? You charge your CC, friend sends you money back to your paypal. You xfer paypal to your bank account and pay your CC. The fees generally make this prohibitive, but when you are trying to meet a spend requirement i.e. 50,000 miles for $2500 spend, a $75 outlay for 50k miles is easily justifiable. Even a $145 would still make this worthwhile.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by omars007
Fees are 2.9%+ .30. That equates to almost $75.
2. Explain how this is the case? You charge your CC, friend sends you money back to your paypal. You xfer paypal to your bank account and pay your CC. The fees generally make this prohibitive, but when you are trying to meet a spend requirement i.e. 50,000 miles for $2500 spend, a $75 outlay for 50k miles is easily justifiable. Even a $145 would still make this worthwhile.
Your friend will get charged the fee also when he sends it back.

PayPal is aware of this and does not like it.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: Several dozen
Private message tradecraft questions and answers. Please keep such stuff out of the press and off the public boards.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johndeere19
Some people don't do paranoia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.