MIO Cards Closing Accounts like Netspend

Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher

If this needs to be moved or merged feel free but I think it is worth sharing accurate up to date info that some people might be able to use.

I had my Netspend and the wifes shut down back when others were closed and I reported it and most ignored it until a couple bloggers posted that it was happening then it was accepted news LOL.

Well Mio called it a Hold and request for documentation of my Drivers License and Social Security Card. This happened 3 weeks ago or more and I called and called explaining I don't have a SS Card since the paper melted 30 years ago swimming. They would not give in and accept even IRS documents to prove the Social. I was told the Compliance Dept would need it to unblock my accounts. I drove 140 miles RT and after metal detectors and sniffy dogs got to wait 3 hours with Aliens hoping for a card. Then I got a print out Mio accepted.

I kid you not they said 24-72 hours and I would know well it was 9 days and dozens of calls and 3 supervisors until today when finally I was told my accounts would be UNblocked for 24 hours at which time I could remove my funds. I said since you have over 3k on 3 cards total how can I remove that in 24 hours at an ATM. They said to go to Western Union and I told them I don't live near that nor do I want to pay fees. Threats were no good after the stories of ruining my families Xmas with gift money tied up. They told me they could mail me a check in 4-6 weeks or so. Actually said or SO

Just on Friday late week the same thing happened to my GF's cards. She hasn't sent them anything yet since no hard Social paper card either. I told her to tell them to F' Off and we are both sending complaints to the BBB and Att. Gen's office Consumer Division just for spite.

Luckily for us the money being tied up is a mere inconvenience to us but I
STRONGLY Recommend to Anyone who can't afford their money tied up for 2 months or more to keep a low balance with Mio or Netspend or any similar card you may have locally. Seems like more insentive for them to do this when they can Hold the money and get the float on the interest.

For Data points we both loaded with Vanillas and cashed out at ATM's within the allowed limits and used the cards for a minimal amount of regular spend like about 7-10 purchases a week for not more than a couple hundred bucks a week.

I asked WHY several times and was told the Compliance Dept doesn't tell them.

Would people please PM me with alternative methods to use (glad to send you an airline club pass or two if you want if you have something good).
I checked Momentum Cards but not for sale in my state and don't know if you can order them by phone. Not sure what a reloadable My Vanilla would be able to do as far as getting the money off. I am thinking the Grass might be the answer but please lets keep that to PM

Just watch the Mio reports to come it will be in the Blogs in days
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
Well Mio called it a Hold
If you know, did you happen to hit the same threshold spend that Netspend uses for closure?
Sounds like you'll need to the same tactics as MM to get your money back. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
If you know, did you happen to hit the same threshold spend that Netspend uses for closure?
Sounds like you'll need to the same tactics as MM to get your money back. Thanks for the heads up.
I am not sure what MM did but I don't care if it takes 2 weeks or 2 months to get my money. I will either way BLOW them up with every LE org I can and hope to do my part to get them eliminated from some states.

I was only earning on the money .99% so 1 month or two I don't care F them. I have places in 3 states so they are going to hit 3 BBB's and AG's for each state.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:15 am

I will either way BLOW them up with every LE org I can and hope to do my part to get them eliminated from some states.
You're kind of obnoxious. You may be able to file complaints with the BBB and AG in three states, but that doesn't men they'll take any interest in it--particularly the AG. Most importantly, watch spelling, grammar, and punctuation when conveying this atrocity to both the BBB and AG. They'll take you--somewhat--more seriously that way.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:45 am

I'm starting to get a little worried about all the prepaids. It seems that people are having more frequent problems with them getting locked up or shut down, and so far it seems most people reporting problems have been living within the limits.

I don't know if I'm just paranoid but I was having a problem loading my BB at WM, and I swear I checked the online User Terms and saw that some of the limits had been drastically lowered. Maybe my math was off and I just went over, but I dunno, seems like things be changin.

Was the Grass/Green comment in reference to the dott?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by DarrellDoesDallas
I'm starting to get a little worried about all the prepaids. It seems that people are having more frequent problems with them getting locked up or shut down, and so far it seems most people reporting problems have been living within the limits.
I'm feeling the same way. I never let mine build up much of a balance. Never more than I would mind letting them hold up for a couple months.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DarrellDoesDallas

I don't know if I'm just paranoid but I was having a problem loading my BB at WM, and I swear I checked the online User Terms and saw that some of the limits had been drastically lowered. Maybe my math was off and I just went over, but I dunno, seems like things be changin.

Was the Grass/Green comment in reference to the dott?
Yah Polka

There is alcohol involved with me that time of night with my trying to be cryptic.

I don't know what the limits were with Netspend or MIO or even that they had limits but I never withdrew more than 400 a day at an ATM. Is there another limit I should have been watching. Oh also never went near the
10k monthly limit either.

What did BB lower the limit on something to? Can you still load 5k per month or is there a limit on balance or what you can pull off that has changed? Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:43 am

Delete

Last edited by DL172; Jan 1, 2013 at 5:26 pm
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: Kettle One ;)

I had my Netspend and the wifes shut down ......?.

Just on Friday late week the same thing happened to my GF's cards........

I digress, back on topic, I think this type of thing is the nature of the beast that those in the points/miles game are trying to tame. Playing with fire and burns or something like that.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DL172
I've been treating my MIO card like I could careless if its closed. I make zero regular spend. I load it up with vanilla and then quickly get cash advances at the bank for a few K. I have been doing this for the past few months.

I have yet to be shut down.
Yet does come around. Doesn't your bank charge cash advance fees?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:59 am

delete

Last edited by DL172; Jan 1, 2013 at 5:26 pm
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Boondr

I digress, back on topic, I think this type of thing is the nature of the beast that those in the points/miles game are trying to tame. Playing with fire and burns or something like that.
I noticed that one too
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:54 am

I had a similar e pertinence with Mio early on. I sent them what they wanted and they opened me back up after 10-11 days, not 3 like they had promised. I did NOT call them during the delay, just tried to load a VR every day until it worked again. I don't use it much now since I was maxed out for my 'initiatives' in 2012. Will be trying it again next week.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by DL172
I noticed that one too
But everything, in every way, is done strictly within the rules. . .
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
But everything, in every way, is done strictly within the rules. . .
Funny I missed that slip. Actually nothing scary there (well she is sometimes) I often refer to her as the wife or SO or GF but after this many years so stopped bugging me about that piece of paper, as long as we are happy it works for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.