FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MIO Cards Closing Accounts like Netspend
View Single Post
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:21 pm
Nottafatslob

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
MIO Cards Closing Accounts like Netspend

If this needs to be moved or merged feel free but I think it is worth sharing accurate up to date info that some people might be able to use.

I had my Netspend and the wifes shut down back when others were closed and I reported it and most ignored it until a couple bloggers posted that it was happening then it was accepted news LOL.

Well Mio called it a Hold and request for documentation of my Drivers License and Social Security Card. This happened 3 weeks ago or more and I called and called explaining I don't have a SS Card since the paper melted 30 years ago swimming. They would not give in and accept even IRS documents to prove the Social. I was told the Compliance Dept would need it to unblock my accounts. I drove 140 miles RT and after metal detectors and sniffy dogs got to wait 3 hours with Aliens hoping for a card. Then I got a print out Mio accepted.

I kid you not they said 24-72 hours and I would know well it was 9 days and dozens of calls and 3 supervisors until today when finally I was told my accounts would be UNblocked for 24 hours at which time I could remove my funds. I said since you have over 3k on 3 cards total how can I remove that in 24 hours at an ATM. They said to go to Western Union and I told them I don't live near that nor do I want to pay fees. Threats were no good after the stories of ruining my families Xmas with gift money tied up. They told me they could mail me a check in 4-6 weeks or so. Actually said or SO

Just on Friday late week the same thing happened to my GF's cards. She hasn't sent them anything yet since no hard Social paper card either. I told her to tell them to F' Off and we are both sending complaints to the BBB and Att. Gen's office Consumer Division just for spite.

Luckily for us the money being tied up is a mere inconvenience to us but I
STRONGLY Recommend to Anyone who can't afford their money tied up for 2 months or more to keep a low balance with Mio or Netspend or any similar card you may have locally. Seems like more insentive for them to do this when they can Hold the money and get the float on the interest.

For Data points we both loaded with Vanillas and cashed out at ATM's within the allowed limits and used the cards for a minimal amount of regular spend like about 7-10 purchases a week for not more than a couple hundred bucks a week.

I asked WHY several times and was told the Compliance Dept doesn't tell them.

Would people please PM me with alternative methods to use (glad to send you an airline club pass or two if you want if you have something good).
I checked Momentum Cards but not for sale in my state and don't know if you can order them by phone. Not sure what a reloadable My Vanilla would be able to do as far as getting the money off. I am thinking the Grass might be the answer but please lets keep that to PM

Just watch the Mio reports to come it will be in the Blogs in days