Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by AirD0c
my local cvs, which has not let me down, just got re-stocked. 4 full racks of VRs! No signs of these getting pulled.
Similar situation here, except my local CVSs still find a way to let me down. There are 5 within a 10 mile radius, and it seems like I can always count on 3 of those 5 refusing to accept CC or GC for the purchase of VRs on any given day. "Cash only" they say, "CASH ONLY". If only I knew which 3 it would be in advance, but it changes every single time.

Ah, the joys of this game!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by AirD0c
my local cvs, which has not let me down, just got re-stocked. 4 full racks of VRs! No signs of these getting pulled.
This is really quite frustrating. How is it that I live in the one place in the country where no one sells these things?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by taliesin
This is really quite frustrating. How is it that I live in the one place in the country where no one sells these things?
I hear you.. I have stopped looking for VR's in CVS. It ended up being such a waste of time.. there are other ways to earn miles
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by the_jaguar
I hear you.. I have stopped looking for VR's in CVS. It ended up being such a waste of time.. there are other ways to earn miles
One good way is to take a mileage run to places where they are plentiful. Earn miles on the plane, then get some ice cream as well .
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
One good way is to take a mileage run to places where they are plentiful. Earn miles on the plane, then get some ice cream as well .
while it might sound funny, this might very well end up being a real option to consider, especially if the CPM's are low enough.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by the_jaguar
while it might sound funny, this might very well end up being a real option to consider, especially if the CPM's are low enough.
I did it partially for DFW back when OD was still alive (DFW area has over 30 ODs), but it died between when I booked and when I traveled. I still did well with the mileage earning though.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
I dont have any experience doing this but the vanilla relaod site is on the world wide web, so i would suspect if you can get online you should be about to load anywhere in the world
Or reload by phone using Skype.

Speaking of feeding the Bird, anyone else running into issues tonight? My loads don't seem to want to take even though I know I haven't hit my BB limits for the month yet.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
Or reload by phone using Skype.

Speaking of feeding the Bird, anyone else running into issues tonight? My loads don't seem to want to take even though I know I haven't hit my BB limits for the month yet.
no problems loading about 20 mins ago
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Similar situation here, except my local CVSs still find a way to let me down. There are 5 within a 10 mile radius, and it seems like I can always count on 3 of those 5 refusing to accept CC or GC for the purchase of VRs on any given day. "Cash only" they say, "CASH ONLY". If only I knew which 3 it would be in advance, but it changes every single time.

Ah, the joys of this game!
Same experience here. There are about 5-6 CVS near me. None of them consistently accept CC or gift card for VR. Such a pain with the inconsistency.

A bright light is I am recognizing a few cashiers that do not blink so if I walk in and see them then is all good. I feel odd asking them for the shift schedule :-)
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by j9jm3
Same experience here. There are about 5-6 CVS near me. None of them consistently accept CC or gift card for VR. Such a pain with the inconsistency.

A bright light is I am recognizing a few cashiers that do not blink so if I walk in and see them then is all good. I feel odd asking them for the shift schedule :-)
I work very long hours and, whether I go before or after work, am usually hitting up night shift cashiers at the 24 hour locations. The late night/early morning shift seems to be sweet spot in my area.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I did it partially for DFW back when OD was still alive (DFW area has over 30 ODs), but it died between when I booked and when I traveled. I still did well with the mileage earning though.
ouch, that's such a bummer... good that you managed to get a decent MR at least...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:13 pm

My local CVS hasn't had any until last week... but now there are about 4 racks of full cards! Very nice
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chavjs
i been at my local cvs and they do have 2 different cards of icecream white and black
black its inside of apackage and white its just glued to a piece a holder
They both are valuable.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lovenola
Does anyone know if you can load bb with vr from outside the US? I have a long trip scheduled and I don't know if I should take the cards with me, or ask my sister to do it for me while I am gone. I do know that you can't use the pal pay reloads while overseas so maybe these are the same?
I wouldn't sit on activated VRs for long.

Why wait to load them? You could easily burn $10k or reloads in a day.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
I haven't done any movement from BB to a bank account, but has anyone reported their BB being locked for this? I haven't read every post in this thread, I confess.
I have. In moderation. No issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.