Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by mizzou1
Has anybody ever seen a paper check from BB?
I sent $525 to my landlady (her address was the same as my own address). The delivery date shows Nov 29, and the transaction status is "Completed".
To initiate the transaction, I entered the name of my landlady and the address (as apparently no account number exists for my landlady). I expected BB to send a paper check, like what banks do when one uses their online bill payment to pay a person. However nothing has shown up in the mail box.

I called BB three times and they first advised me to wait till Friday (Nov 30), then Monday (Dec 3), then Tuesday (Dec 4). And now it Wednesday and no check yet. They didn't seem prepared or willing to address this issue in any other way rather than advising me to wait.
I spoke with my landlady and she confirmed that she didn't receive anything. I am concerned that they might have sent the money to somebody else's account. Or probably the check has been lost.

Any thought or comment as to how to deal with BB regarding this?

(I followed and benefited from all posts about VR and reloading the card. But that would be good if we can also talk about BB and its issues...)
This happened with me (sent rent check, apartment complex never received), but my experience was much better. I called about a week after the check was supposed to be received. Luckily, I'd sent it earlier than required and had some wiggle room.

They originally told me it would be 4-8 weeks before an investigation was completed, but I asked them if they could expedite that and they did. After an investigation (which, at least, partly consisted of them calling my apartment complex), I had the money back about four days after my original call. (Called on a Thursday, money credited back on Monday)

I spoke to Kinesha who was very helpful. I've found you can call and request her.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SGJazz
I have done 5 paper checks so far and all have arrived on time.
I have had my most 2 recent checks arrive 1 day late, but 4 other checks have arrived on time. So it's usually close, but I'd give at least a day or two of wiggle room, possibly more for the receiving company to process the check.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Ok, property tax payment is coming due. I plan to add my City's Treasurer as a payee WITH my home address. When I receive the check I plan to mail it in with coupon or just stop by the city office. Any downside to this?

Why not do this for Federal and State estimated tax payments? Add them as payees with home address, receive the checks, mail checks to IRS and State with the preprinted coupons. They should be able to cash the checks even though my address will likely appear under the payee name.

Thoughts?
I've wondered this as well.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mizzou1
Has anybody ever seen a paper check from BB?
I sent $525 to my landlady (her address was the same as my own address). The delivery date shows Nov 29, and the transaction status is "Completed".
To initiate the transaction, I entered the name of my landlady and the address (as apparently no account number exists for my landlady). I expected BB to send a paper check, like what banks do when one uses their online bill payment to pay a person. However nothing has shown up in the mail box.

I called BB three times and they first advised me to wait till Friday (Nov 30), then Monday (Dec 3), then Tuesday (Dec 4). And now it Wednesday and no check yet. They didn't seem prepared or willing to address this issue in any other way rather than advising me to wait.
I spoke with my landlady and she confirmed that she didn't receive anything. I am concerned that they might have sent the money to somebody else's account. Or probably the check has been lost.

Any thought or comment as to how to deal with BB regarding this?

(I followed and benefited from all posts about VR and reloading the card. But that would be good if we can also talk about BB and its issues...)
Sent a check to my roommate to pay for the rent, so I saw it when it arrived. Showed up on the date promised in a flimsy envelope with a big "Payment Enclosed" notice on the front. Almost looks like a piece of junk mail as oppose to just another nondescript letter.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JW008
This happened with me (sent rent check, apartment complex never received), but my experience was much better. I called about a week after the check was supposed to be received. Luckily, I'd sent it earlier than required and had some wiggle room.

They originally told me it would be 4-8 weeks before an investigation was completed, but I asked them if they could expedite that and they did. After an investigation (which, at least, partly consisted of them calling my apartment complex), I had the money back about four days after my original call. (Called on a Thursday, money credited back on Monday)

I spoke to Kinesha who was very helpful. I've found you can call and request her.
JW008 welcome to flyertalk
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by adambadam
Sent a check to my roommate to pay for the rent, so I saw it when it arrived. Showed up on the date promised in a flimsy envelope with a big "Payment Enclosed" notice on the front. Almost looks like a piece of junk mail as oppose to just another nondescript letter.
That isn't good. I hope we don't get a rash of people with lost checks because someone threw them away.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by adambadam
I sent money to an LLC that I work closely with, so I've seen a couple checks as well. I agree that it doesn't have an overly-professional appearance, but if it's being sent to any sort of company that receives payments, I'd like to think that the company would open something that says "Payment Enclosed" on it. There is no other correspondence in the envelope - simply the check and nothing else.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:45 am

Datapoint: Successful mortgage payment made to American Airlines Federal Credit union. Payment sent on 21st and posted on 28th.

As reported earlier, north phoenix cvs and wal-greens accepting CCs for VRs. Two wal-greens within 3 miles of each other had different policies, one cash only, the other pay with cc no problem, no id requested. have not tried GC yet.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:52 am

late fee?

wasnt there something about them paying the late fee if payment isnt received by the date promised or something like that?

I almost used the check option to pay my taxes, but had limited time to get payment in so I opted to write a check instead.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:08 am

I used BB to pay 2 of my AMEX credit cards ($430 and $720, respectively) over the weekend, and BB said that payment would be received on 12/4. Sure enough, yesterday (12/4) I got an 2 emails stating that "payment was received but this might not reflect on my account for up to 24 hours." Well, it's been about 24 hours and my accounts still don't show the payments.

In contrast, I paid my 3rd AMEX via the AMEX website by pulling funds from Wells Fargo account, and that payment shows almost immediately. Are others experiencing the same delay in the payments showing online?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I used BB to pay 2 of my AMEX credit cards ($430 and $720, respectively) over the weekend, and BB said that payment would be received on 12/4. Sure enough, yesterday (12/4) I got an 2 emails stating that "payment was received but this might not reflect on my account for up to 24 hours." Well, it's been about 24 hours and my accounts still don't show the payments.

In contrast, I paid my 3rd AMEX via the AMEX website by pulling funds from Wells Fargo account, and that payment shows almost immediately. Are others experiencing the same delay in the payments showing online?
i have found that it can take an extra day to pay amex, however even though amex site does not show the payment right away, i have found that the avaible credti increases by the amount of payment the day before it posts. my recomendation is to pay early and dont sweat it, no one is earning much intrest income on the float any more so there is no reason to wait until the due date
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:34 am

Okay, so I have a Bluebird card, loaded it up with a $500 bean from Walgreens about a month ago, paid one bill to my lawn service with it. And popped it in the drawer since beans can't be bought at OD.

I go to check the balance and my card has been suspended and locked.

HUH?

I'm not doing any shenanigans at all. I didn't even get more than 500 points from the Amex card I bought the bean with, though I did pay for it with a credit card.

I called yesterday, and talked to 3 different people before it got straightened out. They mumbled something about fraud or my card being suspicious or something.. I mean I hardly used this card; just once as a matter of fact. It has a $400 balance left.

They had sent me some email (I never noticed) where I was supposed to send them copies of various proof (driver's license, etc.) but waived it on the phone by asking me a bunch of questions.

What's up with that???

Anyway, I can log in again, but just a bit surprised.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by particlemn
JW008 welcome to flyertalk
Thanks, particlemn. Long time lurker and just recently feeling comfortable enough to give advice.

Thanks to all for the (many, many) tips. Hope I can provide some in the future.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA

I've paid my various AMEX accounts from BOA, Chase, and Bluebird - there is always a delay of +/- 24 hrs from the time you get the e-mail about the payment and the time it is reflected in your online account.

I have noticed that there are inconsistencies with regard to what time of day AMEX sends out the "received" e-mail, and this implies that some banks are more efficient than others - but I have not established which banks are more efficient than others.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:56 am

cee veee esss vanilla reload cards being removed?

Just went to three locations over lunch and each of the locations had someone from corporate re-arrange the giftcard rack (the group was called cpm). The store locations have been in the Philadelphia/Wilmington DE area. I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered this and if CVS is going the route of Office Depot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.