Reload this Page >

MO Singapore - Quick review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MO Singapore - Quick review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:40 pm

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant the building design is very similar if not the same as some of the 1970s built sheratons.

Not it was like staying at a Sheraton in the 1970s
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant the building design is very similar if not the same as some of the 1970s built sheratons.
Actually I think it is more like 1980's Marriott. It's an atrium after all. But that is just the shell.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:28 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by stimpy
Exactly why I suggested he make a pre-honeymoon visit to determine for himself which hotel is best for him and his bride. Some people have very different reactions to hotels. It's always surprising to me that someone could find a hotel completely different than I found it, but it happens.
For first timers, it can be a gamble. If their first visit, the staff they encounter provide bad service, then of course they will have a bad impression. That's why different people have such different opinion. The quality of the stay can be adversely affected by the staff they encountered, the occupancy rate and plain bad luck. Of course, the more highly rated hotels generally avoid guests having such experience.

Usually, hotels goes a bit way out of the way to maintain service standards for regular or VIP guests. That's why after I am familiar with a certain hotel in a city I frequent, I usually stick to the same ones again and again. Occasionally I might try new ones but more often than not, they failed to impress me.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by BENLEE
For first timers, it can be a gamble. If their first visit, the staff they encounter provide bad service, then of course they will have a bad impression. That's why different people have such different opinion. The quality of the stay can be adversely affected by the staff they encountered, the occupancy rate and plain bad luck. Of course, the more highly rated hotels generally avoid guests having such experience.

Usually, hotels goes a bit way out of the way to maintain service standards for regular or VIP guests. That's why after I am familiar with a certain hotel in a city I frequent, I usually stick to the same ones again and again. Occasionally I might try new ones but more often than not, they failed to impress me.
Checked in at MO Singapore an hour ago. Underwhelmed to say the least. I agree with the comments that the design of the building and the atrium and the lobby are very 1970s, and the rooms didn't blow me away.

I booked through Amex FHR - the upgrade was from the Premier Ocean Room that I booked to a suite that promised an "amazing city view", which turned out to have no view at all except for the ugly facades of nearby concrete buildings. $30SGD / day for internet (is not this generally included in FHR rates?)

Ended up in a Premier Harbour Room which admittedly has a great view towards Marina Bay Sands and the city towers (although about 1/3 of the view from this particular room is of a car park and a road). But the room is very small and the decor feels a bit dated.

Think I will be moving to the RC once Amex calls me back...

Update: now at the Ritz Carlton next door to the MO. It is FAR better. Best checkin experience I have ever had. Plus upgrade to one bedroom suite with real harbour view - the suite is much bigger and more intelligently laid out than the one I saw at the MO. The RC's 90s glitzy design is a bit hilarious but it strangely works.

Last edited by ajca; May 5, 2012 at 12:56 am
Old May 7, 2012, 12:26 pm

I love the rc. When I retire I am going to live in a club suite for a year.

I hated the mo. they refunded my families room as it was so bad. Everytime i look at scar on leg from where a chair at breakfast cut it- it reminds me not to go back.

You made the right choice. Have you got acqua di Parma toiletries? They replace them several times a day. I love the smell- good marketing as we now use it at home.
Old May 7, 2012, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajca
Checked in at MO Singapore an hour ago. Underwhelmed to say the least. I agree with the comments that the design of the building and the atrium and the lobby are very 1970s, and the rooms didn't blow me away.

I booked through Amex FHR - the upgrade was from the Premier Ocean Room that I booked to a suite that promised an "amazing city view", which turned out to have no view at all except for the ugly facades of nearby concrete buildings. $30SGD / day for internet (is not this generally included in FHR rates?)
Like I said above, book a Club room. The Club at the MO is super nice and it makes the entire experience so much better. As for rooms, the MO was renovated about 10 years ago. At that time it was the best in town, especially the Oriental Suite which was the first to have advanced media systems, with high quality B&O speakers that you could play your PC through. But maybe other hotels have since passed the MO in room quality. With Club, you get free Internet and extra late checkout at 8pm, or even til 10pm if you ask nicely, which is great if you are flying to Europe on one of the midnight flights.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
You made the right choice. Have you got acqua di Parma toiletries? They replace them several times a day. I love the smell- good marketing as we now use it at home.
I did pinch all the Acqua di Parma toiletries from the RC. And the suite really does come with a LOT of them! They are indeed very nice.

The duty manager at the MO really tried to stop me from checking out. Even with Amex on the phone saying "just cancel the booking", the hotel staff implicitly threatened cancellation fee which I thought was extremely cheeky given the circumstances. In the end I said "listen, the less time I have to sit here and think about what I'm going to write a TripAdvisor review, the better for everyone".
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought I'd give this a bump as it's been a few years since I was last here and there have been a few improvements.

The pool area seems to have been redone. It is visually much nicer now and they've added a bunch of cabanas and some other nice features.

The quality of food and drink in the Oriental Club has been upgraded. They are now serving Ruinart Champagne which is quite an improvement IMHO. And Don Julio tequila is something I haven't seen much in Asia. Even the bar at the FS Singapore doesn't have it. But here in the club its free pour. And really good food options in the evening and at breakfast.

I'm in a Marina Bay Suite which hasn't changed at all for years as far as I can tell. I was here when they renovated it by adding 2 Bose speakers in each room and a media connection panel. This was one of the first hotels in the world to do that back then. Yet even though this room hasn't been updated AFAIK for over a decade, it still seems fresh and new. Kudos to the designers.

Oh and Aromatherapy amenities in the bathroom.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I thought I'd give this a bump as it's been a few years since I was last here and there have been a few improvements.

The pool area seems to have been redone. It is visually much nicer now and they've added a bunch of cabanas and some other nice features.

The quality of food and drink in the Oriental Club has been upgraded. They are now serving Ruinart Champagne which is quite an improvement IMHO. And Don Julio tequila is something I haven't seen much in Asia. Even the bar at the FS Singapore doesn't have it. But here in the club its free pour. And really good food options in the evening and at breakfast.

I'm in a Marina Bay Suite which hasn't changed at all for years as far as I can tell. I was here when they renovated it by adding 2 Bose speakers in each room and a media connection panel. This was one of the first hotels in the world to do that back then. Yet even though this room hasn't been updated AFAIK for over a decade, it still seems fresh and new. Kudos to the designers.

Oh and Aromatherapy amenities in the bathroom.
I agree - much improved. They also redid the Spa entirely. Love the pool area and Italian restaurant.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I agree - much improved. They also redid the Spa entirely. Love the pool area and Italian restaurant.
Yes the "new" spa is very nice. I had an Aroma Stone massage which was excellent. The changing area is very small, only room for one person at a time in the steam, sauna and experience shower. But I guess that's a good thing as they schedule it so you never run into anyone. It's your spa while you are there.

Also I can report they are building a covered seating area next to the pool and Italian restaurant. It looks like bar seating. Maybe it will serve as the bar for the restaurant.

However one recent drawback. There's no more 8pm checkout for Club guests. They said they had first moved it to 6pm and now it is officially 4pm. However they said I could stay in my room til 7pm as I had a 10:45pm flight. It's usually never a problem because so many incoming guests from the US arrive around midnight or later.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:59 am

Mandarin Oriental Singapore - November 2017

I visited a friend who was staying and had access to the Club Lounge. Ruinart is still served.

Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Arguably the worst MO in the portfolio (perhaps with KL as a contender?) -- Singapore just can't get hotels right. RC, FS, SR, SL are all very average as well. Fullerton Bay will continue to be my choice for now.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Not much to recommend the MO except the swimming pool, which is very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.