Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What are the worst RC and FS properties?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the worst RC and FS properties?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Agree that FS Sydney can't be fixed. It was quite good years ago when it was Regent, but today it needs demolishing. Like you, I also experienced inedible food there, which takes some doing in Sydney.

Agree about the Amans, too. Maybe Vlad will add a spot of bling
You don't go to Australian hotels for the food. That's just not what Australian dining culture is about, and the best dining options are invariably elsewhere.

I recall wonderful stays at the old Regent in Sydney. It's just such a shame to see how it has declined today. But no matter how good the view is, vehicular access to the property is a major drawback too.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:45 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I've been to 23 Four Seasons and the anchor is FS Sydney. This isn't close actually. You *dream* of FS Vancouver when staying at FS Sydney. I'm not sure it can be fixed.

OT -- Aman Summer Palace is my lowest rated Aman, with 'Yara following.
+1
Didn't even consider the FS Sydney when we've visited--it seems sterile from the website/reviews and when I finally visited, I discovered it was sterile in every way.

+1
I totally agree that Aman Summer Palace is my least favorite Aman. Urban isn't the best fit for Aman, IMO, and Beijing is my least favorite city in the world. A bad fit, but likely one that Aman expected to be appropriate since China is surging in tourism.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:49 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by stimpy
I had a great stay at the MO Miami a couple years ago, but I didn't try the sushi.

But I agree with TRAVELSIG that in general Miami hotels are disappointing. Certainly if you compare them to European hotels. I wonder, are all the larger hotels in Miami staffed by union employees? Maybe it's best to stay at a boutique hotel, like perhaps Cardozo, assuming it is still as good as it used to be.
I also think Miami hotels in general are not up to the same standard as in other US/Euro/Asian cities--but I similarly think the same is true for the Caribbean. Service levels in this region are just not up to snuff compared with comparable places elsewhere. Personally, I blame it on them all having to deal with all the New Yorkers (and maybe Northeasterners, in general) on such a routine basis.

I've not stayed at the MO, but I did eat at Azul once with clients a few years ago. VERY pricey, but absolutely delicious, and with great service.

My husband stayed a few nights at the FS Miami and thought it was fantastic.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Worst service experience with FS was at FS Manele Bay.

Their team screwed up the diving schedule before our arrival (the whole reason we were going), then tried to schedule us to pay for private boat to dive, then suggested that we take the ferry to Maui to dive with operator there! I was pissed and told them to fix it.

On arrival, they remedied the diving and gave us a huge upgrade to a massive suite--so I thought all was good. I was impressed!

Then housekeeping constantly missed our room or started cleaning it right when we would return from long leisurely breakfasts (a big no-no)...even after we called ahead! Happened 3 days in a row even after complaining to the front desk manager twice!

A few faucets didn't work in our suite, and the tub faucet didn't work...and despite letting them know when we would eat dinner so they could fix them, we returned from dinner at 11:30 pm our second night to discover the engineers had just arrived to fix them! My outrage was serious.

The special meal at the Lodge at Koele was a disaster--cold bland food, poor service, but in a beautiful setting. Red wines were served at tropical temperatures at both properties, so I had to refuse them for the prices they were asking.

I spoke with all of the assistant managers (GM was off-site--shocker!) about all of these, and they kept passing the buck. Then after all that, I told them to adjust our bill and not bother us on our final day--and they kept trying to get me to come to the front desk, anyway.

On returning home, I wrote a letter to the entire corporate board, CEO, and regional VPs...and had a call from the GM within 24 hours indicating he had confirmed every single fault and incident I claimed in my complaint. They offered us a free 5 night stay in their biggest suite on a subsequent visit, but we declined...so they refunded our entire stay. We've never gone back...though the new refurb might finally lure us back.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Personally, I blame it on them all having to deal with all the New Yorkers (and maybe Northeasterners, in general) on such a routine basis.
I didn't want to say it, but you are absolutely right. The service in Miami and parts of the Caribbean is dumbed down for this very reason and has been for many years.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
I didn't want to say it, but you are absolutely right. The service in Miami and parts of the Caribbean is dumbed down for this very reason and has been for many years.
I was only (partially) kidding. I don't really think the reason for Miami/South Florida/Caribbean service being so bad is that there are so many Northeasterners who visit. I think it contributes, however. I also believe that the culture of the area is one of indifference and even a bit of arrogance--and that contributes far more to the problem.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
You don't go to Australian hotels for the food. That's just not what Australian dining culture is about, and the best dining options are invariably elsewhere.

I recall wonderful stays at the old Regent in Sydney. It's just such a shame to see how it has declined today. But no matter how good the view is, vehicular access to the property is a major drawback too.
I disagree. I expect good food in hotels, no matter where they are in the world. The food at the old Regent was excellent. The food at Park Hyatt Sydney is excellent - same at Wolgan Valley and the Baillie properties.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:22 am
Suspended

I disagree. I expect good food in hotels, no matter where they are in the world. The food at the old Regent was excellent. The food at Park Hyatt Sydney is excellent - same at Wolgan Valley and the Baillie properties.
We've stayed at the Observatory (now the Langham) and Park Hyatt in Sydney. I agree that the PH has excellent food. The Observatory had nice food but WAY too much salt (a phenomenon we experienced throughout Australia, actually).
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I was only (partially) kidding. I don't really think the reason for Miami/South Florida/Caribbean service being so bad is that there are so many Northeasterners who visit. I think it contributes, however. I also believe that the culture of the area is one of indifference and even a bit of arrogance--and that contributes far more to the problem.
I find the service in Mexico to be consistently the best of the triumvirate of beach destinations near the US (Mexico, Caribbean, Hawaii) and almost always I am surrounded by people from the Northeast. I find the service in Hawaii to be somewhere in between Caribbean and Mexico, and people from the Northeast are the minority. I don't see a connection at all.

For the record, I am originally from the midwest.

The worst experience I have ever had at a FS or RC property (or any luxury hotel for that matter) was in the Caribbean. I won't be going back to this property, and would only send clients if they signed a waiver

Erin
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
I find the service in Mexico to be consistently the best of the triumvirate of beach destinations near the US (Mexico, Caribbean, Hawaii) and almost always I am surrounded by people from the Northeast. I find the service in Hawaii to be somewhere in between Caribbean and Mexico, and people from the Northeast are the minority. I don't see a connection at all.

For the record, I am originally from the midwest.

The worst experience I have ever had at a FS or RC property (or any luxury hotel for that matter) was in the Caribbean. I won't be going back to this property, and would only send clients if they signed a waiver

Erin
I completely agree that Mexico has generally better service (especially at the higher end properties) than Hawaii or Florida and the Caribbean (the worst IMO). Of course, Mexico also has MUCH nicer properties--Las Ventanas, Maroma, Esperanza, Capella Pedregal, One&Only Palmilla, MO Riviera Maya, Banyan Tree Mayakoba, La Case Que Canta, Las Alamandas, St. Regis/FS Punta Mita, etc--than anything found in Hawaii or the Caribbean. The Mexican resorts are newer, grander, more exotic, with better service--and better in almost every way. There are a few Hawaii properties which can compete, and a few in the Caribbean, but in general Mexico trumps them all.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:45 pm

I have to say the worst Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton for me was the Ritz-Carlton San Juan.. Wow!! Not only was the product rundown, the service was terrible. I have had meetings at both the Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City, and the Ritz-Carlton Atlanta and they are equally poor. The worst Four Seasons I have been to is the Philadelphia property... the service was good and I particularly liked the dining, but the rest of the hotel seemed a little 80's.

I wouldn't attribute bad service received at a hotel to the geographic makeup of its guests. That seems like a pretty ignorant comment to me...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: QF CL
Well, obviously nobody disagrees on the importance of strong F&B and that this is one of the many reasons why Sydney hotels disappoint. But standout restaurants in Australian hotels are a rarity (and I think it's reasonable to distinguish the model of Saffire, SOL, Wolgan etc here). The last one I can think of was probably Radii at the Melbourne Park Hyatt many years back. And of course the next one will be The Fat Duck popping up at Crown in Melbourne for six months next year. The exception rather than the rule, though.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
And of course the next one will be The Fat Duck popping up at Crown in Melbourne for six months next year.
Woah! I'm going to be in that part of the world next June, and the wife's been beating me up to go eat at the Fat Duck!

Alarm set for next week to sign up!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:47 am

Well, obviously nobody disagrees on the importance of strong F&B and that this is one of the many reasons why Sydney hotels disappoint. But standout restaurants in Australian hotels are a rarity (and I think it's reasonable to distinguish the model of Saffire, SOL, Wolgan etc here). The last one I can think of was probably Radii at the Melbourne Park Hyatt many years back. And of course the next one will be The Fat Duck popping up at Crown in Melbourne for six months next year. The exception rather than the rule, though.
Let us hope that Heston has sorted out his food safety issues by then....
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
We have had really good experiences at the FS Miami, including when we were caught there during a category 3(3.5) hurricane that directly hit our area of Miami. They demonstrated hard work and above and beyond service, including setting up a full Sunday brunch style buffet and movie, and play area for kids in the middle of the night during the storm, which is why I love returning to this property. If you understand that this is not a beach property, but with an Olympic sized pool and very peaceful multi-acre lounging water area, then you will be happy. The public spaces and rooms have high ceilings and large windows flooding the rooms with light. The addition of the Sports Club LA, beautiful ocean views, and a staff willing to do anything to make you happy, make it a good option in Miami.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.