Wiki Posts
Search

Amanwella and other hotels in southern Sri Lanka

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2005, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Amanwella and other hotels in southern Sri Lanka

Hi,

We have just arrived at Amanwella , at Tangalle, Sri Lanka today flying down from Delhi.

It took us 4.5 hrs to reach here from the colombo airport.We also stopped to have little breakfast at The Aman Gala, Galle.

It was astonishing to see how nicely and beautifully had the oldest hotel in Sri Lanka (earlier known as the New Oriental Hotel) had been rebuilt and maintained.

We took a tour of the place and took some photos. I ll post them when I get back to Delhi as the computer in the library at Amanwella(the one I am using right now) can only be used for browsing.

Anyways, after loking at the place we have decided to spend five nights at Amanwella and then two nights at Amangalla as my wife got car sick on the way here as it is quite a long journey.

Coming to Amanwella, where we are right now, the resort is located right on a crescent beach. There's a restaurant, bar and lounge, 45 m infinity edge pool, library and shop in the main complex. The suites are located a short distance away on the hill in three rows.

The suite itself is divided in three areas; firstly, the entrance area with the private pool, then the bedroom and the bathroom and lastly the terrace overlooking the beach.

Actually, theres nothing much to do here except for visits to temples and some wildlife sanctuaries. As we are from India, which has more than its fair share of both, we are not too interested in those. Other than that, sunbathing at the pool and beach club are the only things to do.

Anyways, we have taken a lot of photos of the place and we ll be pleased to share them with you when we return home.

Gotta go now, will keep you updated.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:02 am

Thanks for the report; you are one of the few who has been to this resort so far, and many of us are eager for more details. I'm especially interested in the wildlife viewing nearby (particularly elephants); what type of excursions does the hotel offer? You said the drive was quite long from the airport; did you see anything noteworthy on the drive? Looking forward to your update!
Old Apr 11, 2005, 2:17 pm

-> the aviator

Concerning the car sick feeling, my wife and I both suffered in Sri Lanka. I do not know if its the congested traffic, the slow speed, the small roads or what it is but both of us for the first time whilst travelling really often felt bad when our driver took us around Sri Lanka, despite having both A/C and a good driver.

However we really enjoyed Sri Lanka, and was it not for the long journeys required to get around, would be back soon. Have a nice time on this great island. :-)
Old Apr 12, 2005, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MisterAviator
Thanks for the report; you are one of the few who has been to this resort so far, and many of us are eager for more details. I'm especially interested in the wildlife viewing nearby (particularly elephants); what type of excursions does the hotel offer? You said the drive was quite long from the airport; did you see anything noteworthy on the drive? Looking forward to your update!

There are 5 excursions of which 2 are to the temples nearby and 3 to widlife sanctuaries. Most of them are between 30mins-90 mins by car and last between 4-6 hours. Costs are between 12000 to 17000 lankan rupees. That is approximately 120 to 170 USD as 1 USD = 100 LKR.

Regarding elephant viewing, one of the excursions is to a national park which has 400 or so elephants including 6 tuskers and elephant sighting is very common there.

As to the drive, we arrived at 3:30 in the morn at the Colombo airport. BTW, Colombo airport is far better and more modern than any that I have seen in India (and I am from India). A car met us at the airport and it was raining. We more or less slept all the way to Galle. Anyways, the sun had not risen during the drive to Galle, so nothing noteworthy to report on that front.

We stopped at Galle for breakfast at Amangalla. But, since it was just around 6:30 in the morn and the staff at Amangalla told us that its only one and a half more hour to Amangalla, we just had tea and juice there. We looked around and were very impressed and took some photos.

The drive from Galle to Tangalle took around one hour 45 minutes and to me was reasonably scenic. But, as I told you before, my wife was car sick and we had to stop several times on the way.

Any other info you need, please ask. I am here till Friday.

Bye
Old Apr 12, 2005, 1:15 am
Community Director Emerita

theaviator, thank you for taking time from your vacation to give us these helpful reports. I will be staying at the Amangalle but not Amanwella this summer. Thus, I will be very interested in knowing more about Amangalle when you return there. It will be my first time at an Aman, and I truly don't know what to expect. Some questions I have:
  • How much are the meals?
  • How much is a massage?
  • What is there to see and do in Galle?
  • Are there local restaurants that you try?
  • Is it interesting to take a day trip from Amangalle to Amanwelle?

Enjoy your vacation!
Old Apr 12, 2005, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
theaviator, thank you for taking time from your vacation to give us these helpful reports. I will be staying at the Amangalle but not Amanwella this summer. Thus, I will be very interested in knowing more about Amangalle when you return there. It will be my first time at an Aman, and I truly don't know what to expect. Some questions I have:
  • How much are the meals?
  • How much is a massage?
  • What is there to see and do in Galle?
  • Are there local restaurants that you try?
  • Is it interesting to take a day trip from Amangalle to Amanwelle?

Enjoy your vacation!
Hi

1. Meals would be about 2000 LKR per person for breakfast and lunch and around 3000 LKR for dinner without wine.

2. Massage runs from 4000 to 7000 LKR depending upon whether its a 45 or 60 min massage

3, 4 . I ll reply after I have been to Galle and stayed at Amangalla

5. Why not do both ?? Any particular reason that you want to stay at Galle and visit Amanwella for a day only ??

Bye
Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:06 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by theaviator
5. Why not do both ?? Any particular reason that you want to stay at Galle and visit Amanwella for a day only ??
Insufficient time. I'm going to Sri Lanka for other reasons, and the Amangalle is a nice little adder.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

thanks for the report! Eagerly anticipating the photos.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prncess674
thanks for the report! Eagerly anticipating the photos.
Hi there

We should be back in Delhi by the 18th. Then I ll upload the photos. I have something like 150 photos of the resort. Any suggestions as to which website I should upload them to ???

Bye
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

There was a good thread about where/how to post photos on the web in the Travel Technology Forum. Here is a link to the thread. There are many options. I personally like fotki.com but it is $30 a year (NOT month) for the service.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=photos
Old Aug 4, 2005, 1:46 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Having cancelled my booking for FS Sharm el Sheik after the bombings I am more than keen to make a dream come true by looking for the ultimate resort experience kick - booking a vacation at an Aman resort by making use of those incredible offers at the Amans at the areas affected by the Tsunami.

Can somebody shed some light on how well (or bad) the Amanwella compares to the established sister properties in Bali or elsewhere ? I consider the Datai in Langkawi and FS Sharm to be my favourite resorts and still hope to get an extra dose of fine hospitality and great hotel design by visiting Amanwella. Will I be disappointed ? Is staying at Amangalla a must or should I better pamper myself at Amanwella for the whole time (ten nights) ?
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:23 am

Sri Lankan Air taxi has seized its operations mainly due to decreasing guest numbers and current security situation (air attacks by Tamil Tigers with light aircrafts). In result, only ground transportation available to Amangalla and Amanwella except for helicopter services (Deccan Aviation).

Here's the press release by Sri Lankan:

http://www.srilankan.aero/aboutus_news/news261.shtml

SriLankan Air Taxi operations suspended
- June 1st, 2007

SriLankan Airlines has decided to suspend it’s Domestic Air Taxi operations indefinitely. The last flight will be a service to Ampara on Tuesday 05th June.

All customers booked to travel after this date will be offered alternative surface transportation.

Commenting upon this decision, SriLankan CEO Peter Hill said :

This is indeed a very disappointing development in our efforts to provide swift, yet affordable domestic air travel to key destinations within Sri Lanka, thus avoiding lengthy journeys on our frequently congested roads. We have persevered almost single handedly for the last three years, to develop this Air Taxi service into a viable and sustainable operation, overcoming innumerable regulatory, administrative, environmental and logistical challengers. This year we had planned to increase our scheduled services to include Castlereagh reservoir and budgeted for a modest profit. However, sadly this was not to be, as with the current security situation in the country, we were asked to suspend services to Kandy and Victoria reservoir, two key destinations on our network. This development together with the declining number of visitors to Sri Lanka, has meant that the Air Taxi is not sustainable in the foreseeable future”.

During more than three years of it’s operation, SLAT has operated 3,700 revenue flights and carried in excess of 17,000 passengers, amply demonstrating that in better times there is sufficient demand for domestic air travel to be developed into a profitable business.

“From the outset, this operation was my brainchild” said Hill, “so it is particularly disappointing for me to have to halt our flights. Looking forward to better times ahead I still remain convinced that an Air Taxi operation using amphibious aircraft could be made to work in Sri Lanka. Given the historic record of the country and its national carrier, to be able to swiftly recover from even the most difficult situations, perhaps it won’t be too long before the Air Taxi is back in business again. I sincerely hope so”.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ouch.

from Aman site >

car transfer
BIA to Amangalla - 4 hrs - US$125++ per car per way
BIA to Amanwella - 5.5 hrs - US$175++ per car per way.

Deccan Aviation's helicopter flights (max 4 pax / 800 lbs)
BIA to Galle - 65 minutes - US$1,585 plus 15% VAT
BIA to Tangalle - 75 minutes - US$2,420 plus 15% VAT

two hour car transfer between Amangalla and Amanwella is US$50++ per car per way.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 27, 2007 at 10:46 am
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:41 am

Car transfer to Amangalla and even more to Amanwella can be quite stressful. Air taxi service into Koggala was a real relief in that regard although not being a travel experience for the fainthearted

When I stayed at both Amans two years ago there were reports about highway construction from CMB to the South Coast inland. Wonder when this project will be completed in that part of the world.

Last edited by ngfan; Jun 27, 2007 at 12:19 pm
Old May 18, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Despite recent unrest in Sri Lanka, I am currently sticking with plans to visit Amanwella and Amangalle in mid to late July. I have some questions and would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on these issues:

1. We will have a total of 9 nights and will spend no less than 4 at each resort; which is best for the 5th night? In my mind, this depends on the quality of the private pool at Amanwella. I loved the private pools at FS' in Bali and the FS in Samui as they were well suited for just sunbathing all day and ordering a constant stream of room service. Are the wella villa pools setup in such a way to make it as equally enjoyable in that respect? I cant seem to find a good picture of them that would tell me if there is a little deck that gets adequete sunlight with two lounge chairs.

2. Related to question #1 is whether to get a pool or ocean suite at wella. I value privacy with the private pools, so Im thinking a pool suite would better suit my desire for privacy but Im not sure.

3. What is the ideal accommodation level at Amangalle? Im currently booked into a suite. Though it is the most expensive of the categories, it does not necessarily mean it is the best AFAIK they may be missing some of the histroical splendor that the hotel has to offer...or it may be the opposite. Some idea of the pros and cons would be helpful.

4. Though technically in the rainy season, it looks like the weather clears up considerably in July into August. Is this true or will it be mostly cloudy/rainy skies?

Thanks so much!
DR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.