FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amanwella and other hotels in southern Sri Lanka
Old May 18, 2009, 3:21 pm
DrivingRain

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Despite recent unrest in Sri Lanka, I am currently sticking with plans to visit Amanwella and Amangalle in mid to late July. I have some questions and would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on these issues:

1. We will have a total of 9 nights and will spend no less than 4 at each resort; which is best for the 5th night? In my mind, this depends on the quality of the private pool at Amanwella. I loved the private pools at FS' in Bali and the FS in Samui as they were well suited for just sunbathing all day and ordering a constant stream of room service. Are the wella villa pools setup in such a way to make it as equally enjoyable in that respect? I cant seem to find a good picture of them that would tell me if there is a little deck that gets adequete sunlight with two lounge chairs.

2. Related to question #1 is whether to get a pool or ocean suite at wella. I value privacy with the private pools, so Im thinking a pool suite would better suit my desire for privacy but Im not sure.

3. What is the ideal accommodation level at Amangalle? Im currently booked into a suite. Though it is the most expensive of the categories, it does not necessarily mean it is the best AFAIK they may be missing some of the histroical splendor that the hotel has to offer...or it may be the opposite. Some idea of the pros and cons would be helpful.

4. Though technically in the rainy season, it looks like the weather clears up considerably in July into August. Is this true or will it be mostly cloudy/rainy skies?

Thanks so much!
DR