Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:35 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Based on standard rooms alone, I would pick the Pen over the FS without a doubt. The Pen's rooms are dreamy and awesome and the views are spectacular. The rooms at the FS aren't too shabby but they've seen better days. Perhaps the renovation will make a (big) difference.

If you think of the Pen's lobby as contemporary modern (or even glittery), then the FS would be contemporary Thai or traditional chic. Service at the FS is as good as or perhaps even better than the Pen. And location-wise, I prefer the Pen over the FS but that's a personal preference. Shoppers (and party-goers) would like the location of the FS due to its proximity to Siam, Sukhumvit and Silom but the Pen's river location is primo in my book.

I love 'em both! But I would stay at the FS first before moving to the Pen. Doing the reverse would be quite a letdown, IME.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 5:05 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Peninsula by far the best

While hotel standards in BKK are generally very good, by far the Peninsula is the best. Great rooms, and top rate service. Unfortunately it is getting rather crowded. The River Cafe restaurant has an exceptional buffet and the Chinese restuarant is tops.
FS is the old Regent, and looks it. The rooms and hallways are rather dark and tired looking, not at all like a FS. Service is excellent, but with a city location and such sad looking rooms, I would not stay there again.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, SPG
Regarding the FS, as has been reported, they are undergoing renovations. Here is the e-mail I received from the hotel regarding the status of the project. I think someone commented here that on a recent stay the Spa was closed too. The e-mail from the hotel does not mention it. In any case, since FS has determined the rooms have reached a state where renovation is necessary I dont think I would stay there until it is done.

Dear Mr. Peter11,

Greetings from Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok !

Thank you for choosing Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok. We are now under a
comprehensive program to upgrade all guestrooms in its Parichart Court
started from 1st March 2005. The project is scheduled for completion by
14th August. Our Parichart Court consist of Moderate Room, Superior Room,
Deluxe Room, Junior Suite, and Deluxe Suite.

Due to the unique structure of the building the refurbishment will be
restricted to the Parichart Court and not affect general hotel operation.
All guests services and Food & Beverage outlets will be fully available for
guest use. Guests will be accommodated in the adjacent Kannika and
Montathip wings to prevent any disruptions to their stay.

Should you require further assistance, please feel free to contact me at
any time.

Best regards,

Nan (Ms)
Reservations Department
Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok, Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts
155 Rajadamri Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Tel: 66 (2) 650 2650
Fax: 66 (2) 254 5391
Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA PLat
Sukhumvit sheraton or Westin ???

I know its not "luxury" like Penisula or Oriental but what would you recommend ??
have to stay at one of these properties and looking for suggestions .
thank you
Old Apr 1, 2005, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA PLat
my research says Sheraton

Sheraton looks best , Westin is getting renovated currently and Sheraton I am told has better service .
Old Apr 2, 2005, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit

Originally Posted by maspablo
I know its not "luxury" like Penisula or Oriental but what would you recommend ??
have to stay at one of these properties and looking for suggestions .
thank you
The Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit is much better than the Westin which is ok, but not part of the Luxury Collection. The service, rooms, decor at the Sheraton Grande are 5*, perhaps not at the FS, Peninsula, Oriental level but certainly deluxe, and considering the prices, a good deal
Old Apr 2, 2005, 8:02 pm

Programs: cathay pacific
Metropolitan

Hi all, I am new to this forum but find it great.

As a hotelier and designer, I chose to stay at The Metropolitan during my last stay in Bangkok (feb2005). It was very much a mixed experience, i stayed in a suite and while I like the restrained Thai style of the design, I found the bathrooms the most uninteresting ever and the view (3/4 wall 1/4 swimmingpool) very disappointing. The lobby is very pleasant again with very nice design touches. The swimming pool is a very good size and well appointed and the restaurants of a good standard (with the Met London hosting my favorite Nobu, I was expecting a bit better). The Met bar is light years behind its London counterpart for ambience with an interesting Thai flavoured martini being a redeeming feature.

The service was very inequal, I found the concierge too young and unexperienced. I requested a table in an interestingly designed restaurant where a single diner (i was alone) would not feel akward. I was offered a choice of very romantic restaurants with river viewsa nd candle on the tables and the infamous Celadon (as an aside my local thai in Little Venice offered better fare even though the rice did not come in a basket). The very young concierge just did not get it and kept checking a guide, I was luckily rescued by a guest who had overheard me and who invited me to join his friend and him for dinner at the italian at the Four Seasons.
I found similar lack of response when I asked for some adresses of up and coming furniture and design shops, for a hotel where the staff wears Yohji I was stunned by their ignorance.
On the other hand, when after a very long and hot business day, I arrived late at the hotel, my request to have the swimming pool reopened was met with dilligence. a pool attendant was even called back in to provide mineral water and extra towels.

In conclusion, I would say that hoping that these litle flaws are a sign of its youth i would return to the Metroplitan for its inspiring design and friendly guests!
Old Apr 3, 2005, 1:28 am

Programs: some
Thanks for the 'review'!

I was wondering about your comment re Celadon; I take it you were not impressed? Would you care to elaborate? Thanks.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:09 pm

Programs: cathay pacific
Originally Posted by Fliar
Thanks for the 'review'!

I was wondering about your comment re Celadon; I take it you were not impressed? Would you care to elaborate? Thanks.
I found the service very poor, with the restaurant manager giving all her attention to a regular. My booking was confirmed for a table in the open space (not keen on air con) and I had to fight for it when I got there even though there were lots of available tables. The menu is huge and i got no help from the waiting staff as to which dishes were recommended. I asked for the chef to provide a selection and was told that it was for me to choose. I ended up with pretty average dishes including a very uninspired duck curry. I also asked for a dish that included banana flower (I am working on a tropical island resort at the moment and was curious to bring that unusual flavour back to my F&B manager) only to find out that the stuff is for decoration only

All in all not very impressive
Old Apr 7, 2005, 9:40 am

Intercontinental BKK

Would anyone who has stayed in this hotel share some comments? How is the location and service? The room photos on their site look pretty dated.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:06 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Would anyone who has stayed in this hotel share some comments? How is the location and service? The room photos on their site look pretty dated.
I have stayed at the IC BKK and I quite liked the location, the hotel itself, and the service. I booked a Club room and was upgraded to a large suite (confirmed ahead of time) with full Club Lounge access as an Ambassador member. IIRC, the suite I had was the Ambassador Suite on the top floors of the hotel.

The rooms are large and very nice views of BKK. Service is warm and cordial and quite efficient -- IMHO one of the better ICs chainwide.

The Club Lounge has excellent breakfast selection -- including hot items ordered a la carte off a meny -- and a good selection of all day drinks and snacks.

The pool is great and the hotel is connected to many shopping malls, including Gaysorn (probably the most upscale in BKK) by covered and air-conditioned walkways, and is very convenient to transportation (a SkyTrain station is right outside). Taxi's are readily available and inexpensive. Outside the hotel and shopping malls one sees BKK life with hawker stalls selling fruit to various types of cooked food.

To be quite honest I actually find the IC to be a better value than the Oriental. The IC BKK do treat Ambassadors well -- I made my arrangements with the hotel directly, by e-mailing them. I was in contact with a senior Manager, a Director of something-or-rather, and he confirmed my upgrades at time of booking.

Enjoy your trip!!
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
I loved the Conrad when I stayed there last year. In particular, it was great to relax in the beautiful bathroom in a modern interpretation of a clawfoot tub, accompanied by my rubber toy elephant (instead of a duck), while watching TV in the bedroom through the glass wall that separated them and listening through the bathroom speakers. Good pool and spa, very friendly staff, nice lounge and very convenient for the meetings I was attending. It's probably a step below some of the 5* plus hotels mentioned here, but it was still a 5* hotel at a great price.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt
Ic Bkk

Please see my March 28 comments regarding the IC BKK, which closely mirror those of Luxury who responded earlier. Again, with so many reasonably priced properties in BKK, one can hardly go wrong. For my purposes, access to transportation and location are key. While they may or may not work for you, I highly recommend the IC BKK
Old Apr 14, 2005, 4:28 am

I absolutely love the Conrad BKK. It's in a great neighborhood, the staff is exceptional, and the rooms are beautifully decorated. I really enjoyed going out dancing with these two hotel guests I met at '87' within the hotel lobby. And thoroughly enjoyed cocktails and live music sung by French songstress, Isabelle at the Diplomat Bar, also within the lobby. The executive lounge is very warm, inviting and comfortable. The food was great! The executive floor manager, Julie, is very friendly and welcoming. All Seasons Place, a shopping-centre accessible via the lobby, is great. We often went to the supermarket on level 2 and purchased snacks. The Burger King there, has an amazing Veggie Burger. The best I have ever had

Conrad BKK is my personal favorite.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:26 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriot Silver
I stayed at the Conrad in 2003 and really enjoyed it. The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are elegant (modern elegance more than 'traditional elegance'). The 'Diplomat' lounge is a great place for relaxing and people watching. Only drawback was that one evening the nightclub '87' was raided by a couple dozen Thai police for some reason. This wasn't so bad, however, as it made for an interesting show from the comfort of my seat in the 'Diplomat' lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.