FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok Hotels
Thread: Bangkok Hotels
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2005, 8:02 pm
oliveANDatwist

Programs: cathay pacific
Metropolitan

Hi all, I am new to this forum but find it great.

As a hotelier and designer, I chose to stay at The Metropolitan during my last stay in Bangkok (feb2005). It was very much a mixed experience, i stayed in a suite and while I like the restrained Thai style of the design, I found the bathrooms the most uninteresting ever and the view (3/4 wall 1/4 swimmingpool) very disappointing. The lobby is very pleasant again with very nice design touches. The swimming pool is a very good size and well appointed and the restaurants of a good standard (with the Met London hosting my favorite Nobu, I was expecting a bit better). The Met bar is light years behind its London counterpart for ambience with an interesting Thai flavoured martini being a redeeming feature.

The service was very inequal, I found the concierge too young and unexperienced. I requested a table in an interestingly designed restaurant where a single diner (i was alone) would not feel akward. I was offered a choice of very romantic restaurants with river viewsa nd candle on the tables and the infamous Celadon (as an aside my local thai in Little Venice offered better fare even though the rice did not come in a basket). The very young concierge just did not get it and kept checking a guide, I was luckily rescued by a guest who had overheard me and who invited me to join his friend and him for dinner at the italian at the Four Seasons.
I found similar lack of response when I asked for some adresses of up and coming furniture and design shops, for a hotel where the staff wears Yohji I was stunned by their ignorance.
On the other hand, when after a very long and hot business day, I arrived late at the hotel, my request to have the swimming pool reopened was met with dilligence. a pool attendant was even called back in to provide mineral water and extra towels.

In conclusion, I would say that hoping that these litle flaws are a sign of its youth i would return to the Metroplitan for its inspiring design and friendly guests!