Wiki Posts
Search

Best hotel in Chengdu?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Some
Best hotel in Chengdu?

First time in Chengdu coming up and wondering where to stay - seems to be a choice of RC, St Regis, Temple House or Shangri-La, has anyone stayed at any of them and able to provide some insight? Am I'm right in thinking the two ICs look (at least) a level down from these hotels?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Am I'm right in thinking the two ICs look (at least) a level down from these hotels?
for groups with flexible budget, IC century city has 'Presidential Mansion'

interesting st regis top suite has a rooftop 12m lap pool
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

interesting st regis top suite has a rooftop 12m lap pool
Yes, I saw this on the website, looks spectacular but slightly out of my current budget. I think I'm inclined towards the RC as something about the St Regis interior design is just a bit too OTT for me (I find a lot of St Regis properties look like they should really be in Dubai). Shangri-La looks like it might be bordering on a little dated unless anyone has stayed there recently and advises otherwise?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you have SPG points, worth asking if they do SU4 upgrade and what it is

slightly out of my current budget
it is sometimes surprising how negotiable some rates can be as well

or one category upgrade
£800 175m2 governor
____ 195m2 metropolitan / empire
____ 325m2 presidential

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 25, 2016 at 3:38 pm
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Stayed in Shangri-La , chosen by senior friends , a few years back . Enjoyed the meals we had there , decent breakfast spread . Was pleased with our corner room then , somewhat more than our room in SLA Makati ( Manila ) last week but club floor is fine .

Didn't have time to recce other hotels .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Sep 25, 2016 at 5:28 pm
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:10 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
From what my clients tell me and my own research (we are considering a trip through here in 2018), the obvious best properties in no particular order are The Temple House, St Regis, and Ritz-Carlton.

Having enjoyed The Upper House in HK, I wouldn't be surprised if it were the best and most special. That being said, there may be a bit more value with the StR or RC depending on style and location preferences. We are leaning towards The Temple House...since we loved TUH and since we always can stay at a StR or RC in so many other locations.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:53 pm
Suspended

The Temple House.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:52 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Not been to Chengdu, but just from looks and past experience with The Upper House, I'd be inclined to go with The Temple House.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:46 am

First time in Chengdu coming up and wondering where to stay - seems to be a choice of RC, St Regis, Temple House or Shangri-La, has anyone stayed at any of them and able to provide some insight? Am I'm right in thinking the two ICs look (at least) a level down from these hotels?
I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Chengdu a couple of months back and was very happy with it . Apparently the building took a while to finish up as its a part of a mixed use complex - the hotel is new . It had just opened for a few months when I stayed . Excellent all round hotel .

Within a bustling area and very walkable to Taikoo Li which is where the Temple house is located . Took a tour of the Temple house and Was very disappointed with It , mostly because of the design and layout .... ( note i don't like the Opposite House either ) , uncomfortable and almost self consciously so ...the awkward room layout and the materials used ... The residential units were also similarly disappointing .

The public area of the hotel was just poorly utilised and lacked privacy .

Service was very good though . Security and public area staff were attentive and friendly . The best part of the hotel then .

Though not luxurious , you may also want to look at the Niccolo Chengdu ...part of the marco polo hotels group . Not been but saw it from a distance and their website certainly gave a good impression ... And I would imagine they would try harder as its MPolo hotels first boutique project .
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:27 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Born in Chengdu and lived there and Chongqing till 10 yrs old.

Decided to inspect both Ritz C. and Temple House in Jan (TH had just opened).

Ritz C. was typical of a RC. Great service, cookie cutter design but it also had really great views (if you can discount the smog but that's the same at any hotel)

Temple House had much better aesthetics for my taste (understated/modern) but the service was a bit lacking. Again, they had just opened.

If you do not speak the language and can't navigate easily, then I'd say Temple House could work better as it's at the edge of a large shopping complex and has many CLEAN food options for western visitors that might not be able to stomach street hot pots.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:39 am

I live in Chengdu, and vote would be Temple House.

Avoid both ICs.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:25 pm

Depends how old you are really..

Younger generation would choose to stay at Niccolo and Temple House...
middle-age businessman would go for RC, St Regis, Waldorf etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.