Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Resort Maldives with Toddler

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Best Luxury Resort Maldives with Toddler

Hi Guys

I am planning our return to Maldives. We were very happy with Baros, unfortunately they don't allow children. As we are now with our 6 months old daughter, we need to rethink.

We plan go in September for around 10 days. Hotel can cost around 1000$/night.

Expectations:
- Good Snorkeling/Good House Reef
- Good Restaurants
- Good Beach Villa (We are not interested in OWV)

The resort needs to allow toddlers and offer babysitting service.

We experienced the babysitting service in the Burj Al Arab when our daugther was 3 months old and it was awesome. Our babysitter cared about our small one very very well.

I thought about both FS. But FS Landaa Giraavaru needs a seaplane transfer, I know that's not really relaxed as it's hot and load, so I'm afraid our girl will not be amused. Kuda Huraa seems to have a disappointing house reef and in general not amazing reviews. 90% of people seem to prefer Landaa Giraavaru.

What do you guys think? Anyone has been on Maldives with a Toddler?

What about Soneva Fushi or Cocoa Island, who has been there and can imagine how baby-friendly they are?

Thanks a bunch!

cyberduck
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus, QR Privillege Club, BA Executive Club, LHW Leaders Club
Hi Cyberduck,

I thought I might as well share my experience from The Maldives from three-four years ago.

We stayed at O&O Reethi Rah for two weeks with our son who at the time had just turned one.

It was a great stay and the resort is well prepared to help you with everything that is needed for as stay with a young one. Good babysitting, medical facilities and the Kids Only area is fantastic. We only used the Kids Only area together with our son as he was too young to be left alone there with the nice staff.

I am sure your kid will appreciate the long bike rides and buggies just like ours did.

Food is not a problem as there are kids menus available as far as I can remember. The food for you and your partner is absolute top world class as I am sure you have read in other threads.

The house reef is not one of the better ones in the Maldives, although I did not find it as bad as some seem to think.

The Beach pool villas are great and a good detail is that the private pool is raised some 45 cm above ground that makes it more difficult for kids to accidentally fall into the water.

Having pointed out all the positive aspects, I do feel the need to remind you that a stay with a toddler is very different from the vacations you used to have without one. My wife still feels that it was perhaps a bit over the top to stay at such a lavish resort with our son as it did in fact restrict us somewhat and made it slightly more difficult to enjoy all the amazing facilities that the resort offers. I, on the other hand, am still convinced that life is to short for compromises when it comes to traveling and am glad we did it and stayed at the O&O.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Kind regards,
Richard
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 11450
Hi Cyberduck,

I thought I might as well share my experience from The Maldives from three-four years ago.

We stayed at O&O Reethi Rah for two weeks with our son who at the time had just turned one.

It was a great stay and the resort is well prepared to help you with everything that is needed for as stay with a young one. Good babysitting, medical facilities and the Kids Only area is fantastic. We only used the Kids Only area together with our son as he was too young to be left alone there with the nice staff.

I am sure your kid will appreciate the long bike rides and buggies just like ours did.

Food is not a problem as there are kids menus available as far as I can remember. The food for you and your partner is absolute top world class as I am sure you have read in other threads.

The house reef is not one of the better ones in the Maldives, although I did not find it as bad as some seem to think.

The Beach pool villas are great and a good detail is that the private pool is raised some 45 cm above ground that makes it more difficult for kids to accidentally fall into the water.

Having pointed out all the positive aspects, I do feel the need to remind you that a stay with a toddler is very different from the vacations you used to have without one. My wife still feels that it was perhaps a bit over the top to stay at such a lavish resort with our son as it did in fact restrict us somewhat and made it slightly more difficult to enjoy all the amazing facilities that the resort offers. I, on the other hand, am still convinced that life is to short for compromises when it comes to traveling and am glad we did it and stayed at the O&O.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Kind regards,
Richard
Thanks for the share, Richard.

I fully agree with you. I know the feeling of restriction from our stay in Dubai with her when she was 3 months old. Nevertheless it was very enjoyable.

Can you tell me a bit more about the babysitting service? How much do they charge and are they really careful?

I heard Reethi Rah has average food for outrageous prices. How was your impressions?

Thanks a lot
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

house reef is the limiting factor
cocoa island was one of the first with good reef, long well-regarded here

can avoid seaplanes by combining properties and taking boats between them

Originally Posted by 11450
life is to short for compromises when it comes to traveling
most / many here agree

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-children.html

Originally Posted by cyberduck
Can it be that Cocoa Island doesn't have beach villas?
correct, unfortunately, like ex-soneva gili

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 16, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Can it be that Cocoa Island doesn't have beach villas?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:43 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

We stayed at the to FS when our son was 6 years old which is already 7 years ago. :-o Time flies. We have also stayed in around 10 other FS resorts around the world with him before that age, so I dare to comment. FS is very good with babies, toddlers and kids. There are often great kids clubs, always special kids menus, child proofing of room if necessary, babysitting etc

Regarding KH: It is true that there is not a great house reef directly acessible from the beach, but if you take one of the complimentary boat trips every day, there are great reefs very close to the resort - just so far that you cannot swim there (at least these were offered when we were there - do check for what they offer now). In addition trips to reefs slightly further away was possible.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by Musken
We stayed at the to FS when our son was 6 years old which is already 7 years ago. :-o Time flies. We have also stayed in around 10 other FS resorts around the world with him before that age, so I dare to comment. FS is very good with babies, toddlers and kids. There are often great kids clubs, always special kids menus, child proofing of room if necessary, babysitting etc

Regarding KH: It is true that there is not a great house reef directly acessible from the beach, but if you take one of the complimentary boat trips every day, there are great reefs very close to the resort - just so far that you cannot swim there (at least these were offered when we were there - do check for what they offer now). In addition trips to reefs slightly further away was possible.
I can confirm. I was at KH 6 months ago, and while house reef is nothing to write home about, some truly spectacular reefs are just a short boat ride away.

If you go to KH, I would recommend you choose one of the refurbished rooms.
Service was excellent as you would expect.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if multiple hotels, can boat to reethi rah, then boat from there to soneva fushi / FS LG
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post26788474
regardless, if not doing FS KH, can use FS KH as transit hotel (if FS LG, FS discounts)
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
we have tried Soneva, Reethi Rah and FSKH with infant along

They are all very child-friendly.

We only tried the babysitting as FSKH and it was not a nice experience as we ended up running back from the restaurant with our daughter crying (the babysitter call us)....but that was probably just a case.

Soneva has a great reef. Reethi Rah and FSKH do not have real reef actually in a swimming distance from the shore.

Please note that Soneva will need the same sea-plane transfer of FSLG: they are in the same atoll. btw it is quite fast. Surely it is noisy so I can understand it might bother an infant.

Beach villa are really good (in a different way/style) in O&O and Soneva while they are just acceptable (IMHO) in FSKH

Food is trickier:
Soneva has the best breakfast buffet in the known universe I believe; their dinner buffet are memorable even for those that dislike buffet in general
A la carte is (was at least) more confusing....we had both time some really great meal and very bad ones as well.
O&O does relatively well. we disliked Fanditha (arabian cuisine) so much that we never went back in two weeks. On the contrary we particularly like the main restaurant because for their extensive menu, quite rare in the Maldives.
FSKH has a great italian restaurant while we do not particularly enjoyed their dinner buffet and the indian restaurant. The grill was fine.

All in all I will say Soneva offer the best food experience among them with O&O in the second place and FSKH in the third place.

I have not been back to Maldives in a while so maybe you want to consider some more recent view on the subject
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

possible to boat to soneva fushi (etc) from reethi rah (and reethi rah to airport/etc)
same distance as soneva jani to soneva fushi, which soneva jani publishes as 1 hour

i think resorts want to seem more remote than they actually are in reality
but not sure why there is no discussion of boating between properties
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
possible to boat to soneva fushi (etc) from reethi rah (and reethi rah to airport/etc)
same distance as soneva jani to soneva fushi, which soneva jani publishes as 1 hour

i think resorts want to seem more remote than they actually are in reality
but not sure why there is no discussion of boating between properties
I did fly from Fushi to O&O but you can certainly boat keeping in mind there is the ocean between atolls.
that said i do recommend to whoever goes to Maldives to experience if possible a sea-plane transfer that is a spectacular show worth the trip by itself
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
we have tried Soneva, Reethi Rah and FSKH with infant along

They are all very child-friendly.

We only tried the babysitting as FSKH and it was not a nice experience as we ended up running back from the restaurant with our daughter crying (the babysitter call us)....but that was probably just a case.

Soneva has a great reef. Reethi Rah and FSKH do not have real reef actually in a swimming distance from the shore.

Please note that Soneva will need the same sea-plane transfer of FSLG: they are in the same atoll. btw it is quite fast. Surely it is noisy so I can understand it might bother an infant.

Beach villa are really good (in a different way/style) in O&O and Soneva while they are just acceptable (IMHO) in FSKH

Food is trickier:
Soneva has the best breakfast buffet in the known universe I believe; their dinner buffet are memorable even for those that dislike buffet in general
A la carte is (was at least) more confusing....we had both time some really great meal and very bad ones as well.
O&O does relatively well. we disliked Fanditha (arabian cuisine) so much that we never went back in two weeks. On the contrary we particularly like the main restaurant because for their extensive menu, quite rare in the Maldives.
FSKH has a great italian restaurant while we do not particularly enjoyed their dinner buffet and the indian restaurant. The grill was fine.

All in all I will say Soneva offer the best food experience among them with O&O in the second place and FSKH in the third place.

I have not been back to Maldives in a while so maybe you want to consider some more recent view on the subject
Just wanted to add that Italian restaurant is currently dreadful at FSKH.
Not sure if important for OP but wanted to point out in case it was, since I seem to remember The Daddy's visit is from years ago.

Edit: Also, the FSKH beach villas mentioned by The Daddy's have been renovated a few months ago.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:05 pm

You could also consider Maalifushi, which ticks all your boxes other than having to take an extra plane transfer from Male. We went there with our 6yo and she absolutely loved it. we stayed in both the beach villas and water villas. The beach villas are excellent, kids club is fantastic, reef is very good, as is the food and service. Only downside is the plane transfer - I do think they should be flying to a nearby airport by now rather than the seaplane, but you would have to check with them. Every kid is different, but my experience with seaplanes is the noise usually gets them to take a little nap.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by THEJOCK
You could also consider Maalifushi, which ticks all your boxes other than having to take an extra plane transfer from Male. We went there with our 6yo and she absolutely loved it. we stayed in both the beach villas and water villas. The beach villas are excellent, kids club is fantastic, reef is very good, as is the food and service. Only downside is the plane transfer - I do think they should be flying to a nearby airport by now rather than the seaplane, but you would have to check with them. Every kid is different, but my experience with seaplanes is the noise usually gets them to take a little nap.
Maalifushi price point is substantially lower than other top properties.
Why is this?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:23 am

i don't have any facts for why Maalifushi is cheaper than other top properties, it certainly doesn't suffer for anything. It seems to me that the properties that are more family oriented in the group have a pricing that is a bit below the peak - it's the same at point yamu for example. Conversely, cocoa island which we also visited, is more expensive of the two Maldives properties. It caters more to couples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.