Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manila - Shangri la at the Fort

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Manila - Shangri la at the Fort

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? I'm planning a 2 week vacation to Manila in July/August and would like to stay at this much highly anticipated new hotel. However, the reviews are mixed. They might be open, but how open? How is the club lounge? Is it open and what do they offer? I'm considering a suite for a week which would have lounge access, but I'm not sure it will be worth it so would like some feedback. Also, they advertise a sports facility that may not actually be part of the hotel itself. Instead, it might be a separate facility from the hotel that is open to hotel guests as well as gym members. What I'd like is for a full service spa (massages, facials, etc.) on premises that can be accessed from the hotel elevators or at least be directly linked to the hotel with quick and easy access. I have stayed at the Fairmont Makati and liked it so much that I plan to split my time between the 2. However, depending on the feedback I receive here, I might opt to take the Shangri la off my list. So, any feedback would be appreciated.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing you might consider is the location. It's been quite some time since I've been to the area around the Fort but I don't remember it as particularly convenient to anywhere interesting you might want to visit in Manila. Nor do I remember the area as at all the kind of place you'd go to for a resort experience.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:32 am

I visited it shortly after opening a couple of months ago and was underwhelmed, At the time, only the lounge and the coffee shop/buffet restaurant were open.

The gym is massive and has plenty of offerings. It has rooms for classes, squash, and a full sized basketball court. Given that it's open for membership (and highly promotes the fact) there will not be much privacy for you. Upscale, yes. Luxury, definitely not.

At the ground level, there will be some luxury shops opening soon. There was nothing I found too interesting though.

Lastly, consider the location. The Fort/BGC is a nice masterplanned business district but unlike Makati CBD, it is neither compact nor pedestrian friendly. Getting in and out of that part of town can be a hassle given Manila's legendary traffic (worsened further by the monsoon season).

Summary - It's a solid 5-star hotel but nothing special. Consider carefully if you want/need to be in the Fort area.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by sungoddess_az
Has anyone stayed at this hotel? I'm planning a 2 week vacation to Manila in July/August and would like to stay at this much highly anticipated new hotel. However, the reviews are mixed. They might be open, but how open? How is the club lounge? Is it open and what do they offer? I'm considering a suite for a week which would have lounge access, but I'm not sure it will be worth it so would like some feedback. Also, they advertise a sports facility that may not actually be part of the hotel itself. Instead, it might be a separate facility from the hotel that is open to hotel guests as well as gym members. What I'd like is for a full service spa (massages, facials, etc.) on premises that can be accessed from the hotel elevators or at least be directly linked to the hotel with quick and easy access. I have stayed at the Fairmont Makati and liked it so much that I plan to split my time between the 2. However, depending on the feedback I receive here, I might opt to take the Shangri la off my list. So, any feedback would be appreciated.
I would stay --as I have done many times--at the Shangri La Makati. It is by Green Belt and Gloretta mall --very upscale areas. It is also a short trip to the "Fort " area--which has some good restaurants.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club - Platinum
Stayed there over new year's. As a "new generation" Shangri-la property, you don't see those classic columns or floral centerpieces that greet you in other locations. Overall, the rooms are quite big (when compared to the other 2 Shangri-la in Manila). Most of the restaurants are now open and are quite good. I tried the Peruvian restaurant, Samba.

Full review here: http://iwandered.net/2017/01/07/shan...manila-review/
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, folks. Here's a long overdue update. Based on the feedback I had received at the time, I actually ended up booking both the Fairmont, Makati and the Shangri-la at the Fort. I know...2 different locations. But, I just couldn't decide. So, I figured I would try out the Shang but not for my entire stay. I had booked the Shangri-la for just a few nights to try her out. As you recall, the entire hotel was not open yet. I loved it. It was expensive, for sure. But, I just really liked the vibe. It had more of a warm feeling to me. And, the service was just out of this world. And that buffet! Anyway, as I had only booked a few nights, I was off to the Fairmont, which I had stayed at previously(and also loved). I was graciously upgraded to a very large suite so I was really happy with my accommodations (huge luxurious bath w/dining area). However, after spending 4 nights, I really missed the Shangri-la. So, I stayed one more night and checked back into the Shangri-la for the remainder of my stay. So, although I do like both hotels, I like the Shangri-la better. Makati and BGC are different cities with different vibes. BGC is more my speed. It's new. It's not crazy getting around (not that I do any driving) and everyone I went out with just ended up taking me to someplace in BGC anyway. I really like High Street and Serendra. And, the SM Aura mall is really nice, too. And the Shangri-la is really a spectacular hotel to me. I haven't stayed at the Shangri-la Makati. But, since I prefer the BGC area, I'll probably continue to stay at the Shangri-la at the Fort for vacation or perhaps the Ascott for a longer stay which I'm looking into now, actually. For anyone looking to stay in Makati, I do recommend the Fairmont. The Greenbelt mall area is a really nice place to walk around outside which is just across the street from the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.