Search

Traveling with staff

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Traveling with staff

I had an absolutely wonderful time at Amanbagh after visiting unexpectedly. To make a long story short fortunes have changed and I was able to facilitate hiring some help from India to move in with my family. The people of India are so incredible and the help has in short order really become family to us. In a few weeks we will begin traveling now all together and I wonder what others do when staying at properties with their staff/help/maids/nannies, however you refer. My staff is culturally accustomed to sleeping on floors but I am not having that when we travel. What I am particularly interested in is what to expect from hotels of the true luxury category in terms of how they handle staff, for example, restrictions allowing staff to serve, provide massage, essentially act as all around butlers etc?

Last edited by BOStonTravels; Aug 29, 2018 at 7:07 am Reason: horrible word choice on my part
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some here do / have done so, mostly nannies i think, both in 'regular' properties and for example aman/etc villas. re residences, at some US hotels that do not put residences in hotel inventory, there are rentals available. interesting timbers recently picked up management of fractional units at st regis new york. a FS regular here rented one of them in the past.

presume biggest thing is acclimating to luxury. few hotels (grand dames) have unsold rooms used for staff, though when hotel residences are staffed, could have hotel dedicated staff take a vacation. but regardless, even worst staff rooms are likely nice.

most if not all upscale hotels are very accustomed to certain types of entourages
BOStonTravels likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 29, 2018 at 7:09 am
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: CX DM
We have done this often - usually just our nanny (but on occasion have brought other staff (cook, driver), depending on destination and format (residence vs regular hotel inventory)).

As Kagehitokiri says we generally find the hotels don't bat an eyelid; it happens all the time. We have never experienced anything other than the respectful treatment I would expect our staff to receive as (effectively) paying guests, and no property has ever has anything to do with what our staff do for us (neither should they).

PS glad you changed the "buying" part
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone done ad hoc (vs salaried) for chef, driver or things like fitness instructor?

indeed staff are paying the same rates / staying in same residence booking / etc
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
anyone done ad hoc (vs salaried) for chef, driver or things like fitness instructor?
Yes on occasion we have brought in yoga instructor/masseuse/chef when staying in residences (vs hotels); generally has worked well (with diligent research in advance..)
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:28 am

Why would you take your own cook to a luxury hotel?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some of us avoid cities (so not "hotel")

could hire michelin chef when restaurant is closed, i have seen this published for a tuscany villa rental in an auction, 1 dinner cooked in villa by local michelin chef himself

and there are hotel villas in tuscany - rosewood (residential style) and belmond (residences)

as well as very small hotels which can be bought out inexpensively

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 29, 2018 at 7:38 am
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by jonjparr
Why would you take your own cook to a luxury hotel?
I wouldn't, which is why I said "depending on format, residence vs regular hotel inventory". we have in the past brought our cook when taking a residence. mostly just to feed the children, sometimes to help if we're entertaining
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and i said "vs salaried" though even in cities, might be kitchen staff from michelin/etc available for condo stay. jean georges has offered it, including jean georges himself. i might compare to bhrubin doing special offering in st regis bar, similar can be done en suite when kitchen. IIRC he said he liked it better than EMP. special private dining not limited to resorts.

and not limited to only hotel's dining/restaurant staff *

new FS NY downtown has rentals not in hotel inventory
in UES, mark and lowell both have a lot with kitchens

* think some NY luxury hotels still do not have restaurants nor 24 hour room service !

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 29, 2018 at 9:19 am
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
I've brought a Mashgiach (Kosher supervisor) to an Aman property and they suggested we put him up nearby and allowed him full access to the kitchen(s) at all times and even allowed him to spent time around the resort during down time.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:33 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Other than booking a separate room or multi-bedroom villa, most resorts (especially remote ones) will have staff quarters on-site which usually have some space.

In particular at places like Amanbagh where a driver or so may also be accompanying you, and there are no realistic options for staying anywhere nearby (unlike in Ranthambore, for instance), they will sleep in the staff quarters.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Altocumulus
I wouldn't, which is why I said "depending on format, residence vs regular hotel inventory". we have in the past brought our cook when taking a residence. mostly just to feed the children, sometimes to help if we're entertaining
But are we talking about residences in resorts or renting a privately owned villa not attached to a resort? I can see the purpose if it's just a privately owned villa but if it's within a resort then why not just use the chefs that are onsite? I haven't come across a resort with residences that doesn't allow you to use one of the resort's chefs in it. Feeding children in luxury hotels or resorts is fairly easy really, you just speak with the right people beforehand - they will do anything your children want. I was just curious really - each to their own!

Last edited by jp-mco; Aug 29, 2018 at 9:11 am
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by damaxer91
I've brought a Mashgiach (Kosher supervisor) to an Aman property and they suggested we put him up nearby and allowed him full access to the kitchen(s) at all times and even allowed him to spent time around the resort during down time.
I completely understand you doing that for religious dietary requirements.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jonjparr, there is not really any reason to limit options, especially luxury

many here want coffee making in room, some travel with coffee/maker.
nannies can be provided by hotel, some travel with salaried nanny

resort residence setup varies dramatically
trisara only charges groceries plus 30%
FS hualalai residences are 'separate'
unused bedrooms different vs hotel rooms

perspectives on hotel dedicated staff, dining, spa, etc vary.
time is factor, at big hotels 'competing' with events/nonguests
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Has anyone here ever put up a nanny etc in the staff residence at an Aman or similar? What (if any) was the charge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.