Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inn at Palmetto Bluff (South Carolina) to be managed by Montage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Valveking
We have done the Charleston combination trip. We are Sea Island regulars. In fact, we just went for Easter. We love them both equally. We always take our children to Sea Island and have typically gone to Palmetto Bluff with just adults.
We went to PB last summer with just adults, but taking our son for a long weekend this year. Think that he will enjoy it - the biking and kayaking in particular. His favorite part of our Kiawah trips is biking to the different marsh towers and overlooks.

Any comparison between Kiawah and Sea Island? Have never been to Sea Island, and it's a bit of a longer drive for us...have done the Kiawah/Charleston combo a few times, but not a fan of Charleston in the summer. Not quite a combo trip, but we are doing an adult trip to Blackberry Farm the weekend before Palmetto Bluff this summer. Not ideal timing, but just the way schedules worked out, and interested to compare the two. Obviously very different locations, but seems that they have some similar characteristics.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Has anybody been to Palmetto Bluff since the new rooms were completed? I would love to hear an update.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wow, everything is done in september? time has flown.
https://www.montagehotels.com/palmet...uff-expansion/
https://d397toulsmarj9.cloudfront.ne...ansion-Map.pdf
lagoon guest houses and inn

river house still adult pool? with rooms now?

http://www.montageresidencespalmetto...esidences.html
http://www.montageresidencespalmetto...site-plan.html

what months are lowest season for palmetto bluff?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 30, 2016 at 11:41 am
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:06 am
Suspended

Has anybody been to Palmetto Bluff since the new rooms were completed? I would love to hear an update.
One of my colleagues was just there. Mixed feedback.

Per usual, the cottages are amazing...can't imagine booking anything else.

I'd hesitate to book any 'normal' rooms here.

Service and F&B is still a HUGE hit or miss.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire
One of my colleagues was just there. Mixed feedback.

Per usual, the cottages are amazing...can't imagine booking anything else.

I'd hesitate to book any 'normal' rooms here.

Service and F&B is still a HUGE hit or miss.
Thanks for the report. Yes, the cottages are really the only way to go. I have always had pretty good food there. At least they are going to have another restaurant with the new rooms to give us another food option.

I have never had too many gripes about the service. It has always been fine for us but we are fairly low maintenance.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:18 am

Just returned from our 3rd visit to PB. This was a quick stay, to extend a beach vacation, and we were in a regular room vs a cottage, so a bit different than the rest of our stays.

That being said - PB feels different now with Montage and the expansion, and on the whole, I don't think that it is a good different. To me, PB used to feel like going to visit a rich relative's riverfront estate. It had that unique, hidden quality - almost a secret of well-to-do Southern families who returned year after year, after which their kids go back to McCallie, Woodberry Forest, etc...now, while still really nice, it just feels more corporate, and dare I say it, somewhat Disney-fied?

A few changes that I don't like
- The River House is closing - and the whole building is being turned into a banquet facility. We loved the River House porch for a casual meal, cocktails, etc....There will be a new restaurant opening called Jasmine's on Sept 1st
- There is a 2nd wedding chapel next to the new Inn
- Much larger meeting spaces are opening up. I suspect that they will draw lots of weddings and high-end corporate events.
- A ton of new staff currently being trained, in anticipation of larger guest counts. This showed in some of the service - well-intentioned, but not necessarily efficient or well-informed. English did not appear to be the first language of many of the new hires.
- We stayed in one of the new Lagoon View rooms (not a cottage) - believe they opened earlier this year. The rooms themselves are still very nice from a hard product standpoint - bathrooms don't have the steam showers of the cottages, but otherwise similar. The main different beyond the smaller space (no large dressing area like the cottages) was the lack of a screened porch. There was decent balcony, kind of like on a cruise ship, but without a screen or ceiling fan, rendered useless at this time of year due to all the bugs outside. There are some first floor suites that have screened porches, but unless traveling with a family, not sure that I'd choose them over a cottage.
- there is a huge residential development happening in the Moorlands. Last summer, it was being cleared/surveyed....now there are houses going up in what was a beautiful and secluded tract of land on the water. The bike ride down is still really nice - just kind of spoils the environment once you get there. The cut-through from the back of the cottages to get towards the Moorlands is also now blocked off...until the Inn opens, you have to go back through Wilson Village to get down there.

Bell staff is still great, and had really good service at the family pool. We had a shorter stay this time, but about the only improvement was the addition of a very reasonably priced breakfast buffet ($19) at Buffalo's that was really good.

In the end, PB will still be a great place, but just not as special, IMO. The new inn building with more rooms is opening up in a couple of weeks and will change the dynamic even further. There are 2 new pools opening there - they are currently filled in with water, but not yet open. Will be very interesting in how they deal with the increased crowds. Right now, things like tennis, bikes and kayaks are still free, but will they remain that will? Will traditions like afternoon "porching" and evening S'mores remain?

I know that change is inevitable, and I don't begrudge the Montage folks for trying to monetize what is a "hot" name right now...but it just doesn't feel like it will be as special or unique as it was in the past. The setting will always be breathtaking, but for us, not sure that PB would be an easy choice in the future over something like the Sanctuary at Kiawah, which PB is now approaching in # of rooms.

Just my $.02
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it's not montage, but PB's developer owner who chose to expand hotel side

wonder why montage having problems with service, vs their other properties

unfortunate when properties change (although some here like bigger hotels)
at least the cottages remain, and perhaps lowest season occupancy not bad

before expansion, reputation here (super high standards) was impeccable >

Originally Posted by xracer
Amangiri...better than service I’ve received anywhere else in N. America with maybe the exception of the Inn at Palmetto Bluff or the BT Mayakoba)
(BT Mayakoba standards dropped too, so 2 of best properties aren't now)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 22, 2016 at 12:12 pm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:12 am

The River House is closing?!

That is awful. Thanks for the dispiriting report on Palmetto Bluff. I agree with your assessment of what it used to be like 100%.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what does following refer to (or plans changed) ?

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Near the existing inn building and a fitness pool on Drayton and Parkman streets, 14 more rooms would be built in place of restrooms and showers at the pool. Those facilities would be reconstructed along the sides of the building
could always turn cottages into 'hotel within hotel'

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 22, 2016 at 12:09 pm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
it's not montage, it's the developer/owner, who chose to do the expansion

wonder why montage having problems with service, vs their other properties

unfortunate when properties change (although some here like bigger hotels)
at least the cottages remain, and perhaps lowest season occupancy not bad

before expansion, reputation here (super high standards) was impeccable >

(BT Mayakoba standards dropped too, so 2 of best properties aren't now)
Wouldn't say that PB's service pre-expansion was impeccable. On the whole quite good, but not over the top good....
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:04 pm

The River House is closing?!

That is awful. Thanks for the dispiriting report on Palmetto Bluff. I agree with your assessment of what it used to be like 100%.
River House actually closed....Sat 8/20 was the last night. I think they are keeping the wine cellar, the rest will be function space.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:44 am

Had a 4 night stay last month at Palmetto Bluff. Our 4th trip, and first since the new inn has been completely finished (last trip in 2016 the Lagoon houses were done, but not the main inn building)
Stayed in a Lagoon House Suite, which is a great setup for a family. Separate bedroom and living room, and a separate bath/shower off the living room, and a screened porch. Hard product nice, but showing some wear and tear.
Really nice time biking, hiking, kayaking and generally being outdoors. Saw lots of gators, herons, egrets and a few dolphins.

Setting is still gorgeous, but the place has definitely changed.
The not so good
- bikes no longer free. I think it's $15/day up to 3 days...then no charge for the days beyond that. Believe bikes are still free for cottage guests
- Inn guests no longer have access to the River House Pool. We didn't use it, but the new Inn family pool is tiny for the amount of people. There is an adults only pool close to the river house, and the spa-pool next to the inn
- Wife said that the massage at the spa was great, but the "relaxation room" was marred by constant foot traffic in and out
- more crowded, and more corporate feel. There was some kind of meeting event there, and one night, had an outdoor band playing by the pool
- Canoe Club is the only "formal" dining option. River House closed a couple years ago, and Jessamine's in the inn didn't last
- River House lounge woe-fully understaffed and insanely slow with food/service
- Took an hour to get a shuttle back from the Moorlands at one point. Housekeeping also erratic in terms of service times and quality

Some improvements
- Nightly s'mores experience at the River House is improved. Now a cart with someone helping out
- Nightly "culinary heirloom" tasting at the Inn fire pit was really good
- Friday evening fish fry from the food truck was good and well priced
- More biking/hiking trail options
- Montage memories "badge" program for kids is great
- casual "canteen" option down at the moorlands has good sandwiches for a reasonable price
- Service overall is better than in the past, IMO. Recreation staff great, same with restaurants - and they were able to squeeze us in early at the Canoe Club for dinner, etc.

Still a great place, just not as special. Clientele has changed as well.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:47 pm

Thanks again for the update. How many rooms do they have in total these days? Are they planning on adding another restaurant? Closing the River House is tragic! Is the clientele more corporate?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:03 pm

Thanks again for the update. How many rooms do they have in total these days? Are they planning on adding another restaurant? Closing the River House is tragic! Is the clientele more corporate?
clientele is more corporate and less southern....more national and international. There is now a second chapel too, so I’m sure there are a lot of weddings as well. With the move to Montage, and adding 150 rooms or so, it just caters to a different crowd. Noticed thst it is a destinsion for a lot more bloggers, too.

There was a rumor when we were there that the River House would be opening for dinner again. It’s much needed.

The breakfast buffet at Buffalos is cheaper and muh bettet than the one at the Inn. The space is where Jessamines used to be, and there is no character to it at all. Like a bland meeting room space....
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:40 am

Any recent reviews of Montage PB. I will be there in mid April.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.