Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Inn at Palmetto Bluff (South Carolina) to be managed by Montage

Inn at Palmetto Bluff (South Carolina) to be managed by Montage

Old Feb 1, 14, 11:16 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: YVR
Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG
Posts: 6,268
Inn at Palmetto Bluff (South Carolina) to be managed by Montage

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...237012681.html
luxury is offline  
Old Feb 2, 14, 4:49 am
  #2  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,415


150 additional rooms? that's a big disappointment... love the cottages approach.....

FDW
FlyingDoctorwu is offline  
Old Feb 2, 14, 7:36 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mem
Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Posts: 836
I love Montage, but adding 150 rooms to this lovely resort on the May river is a real shame. I love staying in those charming cottages under the live oaks and having breakfast on my porch watching the river mosey by. This is too bad. I wonder what happened with Auberge?
Valveking is offline  
Old Feb 2, 14, 8:20 am
  #4  
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 750
Originally Posted by Valveking View Post
I love Montage, but adding 150 rooms to this lovely resort on the May river is a real shame. I love staying in those charming cottages under the live oaks and having breakfast on my porch watching the river mosey by. This is too bad. I wonder what happened with Auberge?
I really loved this place when it was only cottages and houses and stayed several times. I'm so sad to see it go 'mass market'. I won't return.
xracer is offline  
Old Feb 2, 14, 12:59 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,594
press release mentions management changed feb 1
but doesnt mention that new rooms wont be open until 2016 or later

http://www.blufftontoday.com/bluffto...luff-expanding
December 29, 2013

Crescent and Palmetto Bluff vice president Jay Page said Friday [Dec 27] final drawings are being conducted, and construction should begin in the first quarter of 2014. The timeline for construction is about 24 months, meaning the expanded inn would open sometime in 2016.

Page said the reason for the transition was Auberge specializes in smaller-scale projects like the 50 current cottages, while Montage provides larger resorts.

“Auberge has been extremely successful at Palmetto Bluff, and they did a tremendous job with the cottages,” Page said. “We’ve been highly renowned around the country, and the credit goes to them and the on-site team. Montage is a high-end operator that will deliver the same unique experience on a larger scale.”
http://www.islandpacket.com/2013/12/...room-five.html has quote from auberge

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 2, 14 at 2:41 pm
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old Feb 2, 14, 2:11 pm
  #6  
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 750
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
press release mentions management changed feb 1
but doesnt mention that new rooms wont be open until 2016 or later
I guess if I could go one last time before the construction starts, I would. If the new rooms wont open for a couple of years (or more), there might be a year or two before it all begins...

Thanks for sharing that information. I'll keep in it mind.
xracer is offline  
Old Jun 15, 14, 6:53 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Posts: 322
While I'm sure Montage will do a fine job managing the expanded property, this change still stings. IMO, Palmetto Bluff was one of the real gems of the United States, with a setting, low density, integration with natural surroundings, and sense of place that was the Southeast's analog to FS Hualalai. The quality of everything - service, food, furnishings, activities (like Hualalai, not nickeled-and-dimed) while being such a perfect reflection of "SC Lowcountry" made it a special, special place.

I feel compelled to visit one last time before construction begins, but apparently their first step will be tearing down the spa to make room for the new building. That in itself will take something away from the place - the spa was so perfectly situated under a canopy of live oaks with a verdant setting and in close proximity to a small lagoon island that native birds enjoyed frequenting.
blueheronNC is offline  
Old Jun 16, 14, 7:55 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,129
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
While I'm sure Montage will do a fine job managing the expanded property, this change still stings. IMO, Palmetto Bluff was one of the real gems of the United States, with a setting, low density, integration with natural surroundings, and sense of place that was the Southeast's analog to FS Hualalai. The quality of everything - service, food, furnishings, activities (like Hualalai, not nickeled-and-dimed) while being such a perfect reflection of "SC Lowcountry" made it a special, special place.

I feel compelled to visit one last time before construction begins, but apparently their first step will be tearing down the spa to make room for the new building. That in itself will take something away from the place - the spa was so perfectly situated under a canopy of live oaks with a verdant setting and in close proximity to a small lagoon island that native birds enjoyed frequenting.
Headed there next weekend, looking forward to it very much. Definitely motivated to go before the expansion
socalterp is offline  
Old Jun 17, 14, 9:43 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mem
Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Posts: 836
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
While I'm sure Montage will do a fine job managing the expanded property, this change still stings. IMO, Palmetto Bluff was one of the real gems of the United States, with a setting, low density, integration with natural surroundings, and sense of place that was the Southeast's analog to FS Hualalai. The quality of everything - service, food, furnishings, activities (like Hualalai, not nickeled-and-dimed) while being such a perfect reflection of "SC Lowcountry" made it a special, special place.

I feel compelled to visit one last time before construction begins, but apparently their first step will be tearing down the spa to make room for the new building. That in itself will take something away from the place - the spa was so perfectly situated under a canopy of live oaks with a verdant setting and in close proximity to a small lagoon island that native birds enjoyed frequenting.
I agree. This is too bad.
Valveking is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 12:44 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by socalterp View Post
Headed there next weekend, looking forward to it very much. Definitely motivated to go before the expansion
Please report back as to whether they've done any clearing/bulldozing/tearing down for the new construction yet. If not, I may have to brave the Southeast summertime heat and humidity to visit one last time.
blueheronNC is offline  
Old Jun 30, 14, 7:31 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,129
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Please report back as to whether they've done any clearing/bulldozing/tearing down for the new construction yet. If not, I may have to brave the Southeast summertime heat and humidity to visit one last time.
Construction has definitely started. You can hear what sounds like clearning/bulldozing, etc. Access to the construction area is blocked off (you cannot cross the bridge from the cottages across the lagoon towards the old spa area, etc) It's not loud, but we were in one of the lagoon view cottages, and you can certainly hear it....and it does detract from the experience, of say, having breakfast on the screened porch. They started around 8am every day, and appeared to take Sunday off. The spa is now located in one of the cottage units closest to the Inn building.

That being said, we really enjoyed our stay at the Inn. Was a perfect blend of a beautiful site, great good and really warm, friendly service. Employees really seemed to like working there, and service was good and not stuffy at all. The room itself was really nice - high quality furnishings, terrific bathroom with a nice tub and steam shower, etc. Huge screened porch - we were lucky enough to be across from "Bird Island" and could have spent all day just watching the various herons, egrets, alligators, etc.

Ate at all of the restaurants, including dinners at the Canoe Club and River House, and both were excellent. Had lunch at the pools all but one day, when we ate at the golfcourse clubhouse. Food at both the adult pool and family pool - and the food was much better than I was expecting Breakfast - room service and at Buffalo's was also quite good.

Enjoyed the kayaking on the river, and a lot of bike riding. Access from the village toward the River Trail is blocked by construction, but you can go around the back of the cottages and toward Stallings Island Rd to get to the Morelands, etc. Appears as if they are putting in more hiking trails over there, and have some restroom facilities along the way as well.

Will be interesting to see what the expansion does. Loved the small scale of the resort - people knew you by name. Enjoyed puttering around on the golf carts and not having crowds of people everywhere. Having more dining options will be nice for longer stays, but it will definitely change things. A few minor missteps (water not replaced in fridge despite asking, sharp shrimp tails left on a couple of times in food) - service at the pool could be a little slow, especially when it got busy for lunch, but overall was friendly and decent.

Last edited by socalterp; Jun 30, 14 at 7:37 am
socalterp is offline  
Old Jun 30, 14, 8:40 am
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 3,317
This is very surprising....
pricesquire is offline  
Old Jul 1, 14, 10:09 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by socalterp View Post
Construction has definitely started. You can hear what sounds like clearning/bulldozing, etc. Access to the construction area is blocked off (you cannot cross the bridge from the cottages across the lagoon towards the old spa area, etc) It's not loud, but we were in one of the lagoon view cottages, and you can certainly hear it....and it does detract from the experience, of say, having breakfast on the screened porch. They started around 8am every day, and appeared to take Sunday off. The spa is now located in one of the cottage units closest to the Inn building.
Thank you for this report! We're heading there next week and was hoping to have beat the construction. The construction noise you mentioned worries me. I was planning on spending a great deal of time unwinding and reading books on the screened porch cottage, with just the sounds of nature, and construction noise of any kind is the last thing I want for my stay. Now wondering if I should rebook into a River View to be facing away from the construction site (or at least book into Lagoon View and hope for a Virtuoso upgrade into River View - as of now I'm in Forest View, which, if they upgrade me, would put me into Lagoon View facing the construction).

You say you were in Lagoon View - did you book through Virtuoso, FHR or similar and get upgraded into that category, or did you end up in the category you booked (when I was there last time, I didn't get an upgrade even though I was Virtuoso, but it was over a holiday).

Last edited by blueheronNC; Jul 1, 14 at 10:18 am
blueheronNC is offline  
Old Jul 2, 14, 2:03 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,129
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Thank you for this report! We're heading there next week and was hoping to have beat the construction. The construction noise you mentioned worries me. I was planning on spending a great deal of time unwinding and reading books on the screened porch cottage, with just the sounds of nature, and construction noise of any kind is the last thing I want for my stay. Now wondering if I should rebook into a River View to be facing away from the construction site (or at least book into Lagoon View and hope for a Virtuoso upgrade into River View - as of now I'm in Forest View, which, if they upgrade me, would put me into Lagoon View facing the construction).

You say you were in Lagoon View - did you book through Virtuoso, FHR or similar and get upgraded into that category, or did you end up in the category you booked (when I was there last time, I didn't get an upgrade even though I was Virtuoso, but it was over a holiday).
Booked via the PB website, with iPrefer membership...think that is the category that we booked. Had a package that included breakfast and a golfcart, which we found to be a great value.

Didn't get a good sense as to the noise level for the Forest View as the only time we went back through there was on bikes on our way toward Morelands.

Noise level was definitely noticeable...a little muffled by distance and trees, but noticeable. Sunday breakfast on the porch was much nicer without the noise.
socalterp is offline  
Old Jul 2, 14, 8:15 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by socalterp View Post
Booked via the PB website, with iPrefer membership...think that is the category that we booked. Had a package that included breakfast and a golfcart, which we found to be a great value.

Didn't get a good sense as to the noise level for the Forest View as the only time we went back through there was on bikes on our way toward Morelands.

Noise level was definitely noticeable...a little muffled by distance and trees, but noticeable. Sunday breakfast on the porch was much nicer without the noise.
Thanks - when I called them about the construction, they claimed it wasn't beginning until September and that there should be zero noise issues. That, of course, doesn't jive with your on-ground reports and the reality that the bridge over to that area has been closed off and the spa already moved to a temporary location. I'm a bit perturbed they're not being straight-up about this.
blueheronNC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: