Maldives Luxury Resort (Combined) 2013/2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:52 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
this is what i said >

"they" = iru fushi, which is close to cheval blanc
my post had a quote for a reason
I can't say if this is possible between the Cheval Blanc and Iru Fushi, but I know it is between Cheval Blanc and Velaa Private Island (another new resort that is close to Cheval Blanc). Apparently the boat ride between these two resorts is something like 20 minutes.

I actually considered staying at Velaa for a few days, taking a boat to CB, staying there a few days, then taking a boat back to Velaa and staying for a few more days before going back. I know this sounds like a lot of moving, but I am offended by CB $1500 per person seaplane charge. Of course, if I did this, I still couldn't avoid the $85 cheeseburger at CB (not that I eat cheeseburgers, but still).

Last edited by xracer; Jan 27, 2014 at 8:01 pm
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:42 am

That's what we're doing in March but taking the twin otter between the two (Velaa and Cheval). And won't you be taking a seaplane either way to get up there? If you're happy staying at the resort really what's another few thousand for a nice little plane ride. I think the 2004 Cristal is listed at $1800 a bottle in the wine list - now thats an obscenity. A 50 minute flight for 1500 seems a bargain in comparison to me.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by brokenheartsurgeon
That's what we're doing in March but taking the twin otter between the two (Velaa and Cheval). And won't you be taking a seaplane either way to get up there? If you're happy staying at the resort really what's another few thousand for a nice little plane ride. I think the 2004 Cristal is listed at $1800 a bottle in the wine list - now thats an obscenity. A 50 minute flight for 1500 seems a bargain in comparison to me.
Well, yes, but if you fly into and out of Velaa, the seaplane cost is $400 instead of $1500. I just don't think the plane ride can be $1100 'nicer'.

I just don't think it's worth it. And this is my little protest over ridiculous ancillary fees that so many resorts seem to be relying on these days.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:47 am

I think Velaa is charging us 800 per person and that's to fly 15 minutes.... And the plane really doesn't look quite as nice plus you get that Island Chic mister with Cheval Blanc

And again it's the wine list that's making me annoyed - not a vintage Selosse to be found at any price.....
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:23 am

I think Velaa is charging us 800 per person and that's to fly 15 minutes.... And the plane really doesn't look quite as nice plus you get that Island Chic mister with Cheval Blanc

And again it's the wine list that's making me annoyed - not a vintage Selosse to be found at any price.....
Wow, that plane ride is crazy expensive from Velaa to CB. Did you inquire about taking a boat instead? I don't think it's that far.

It's funny how different things irritate different people. I would never drink wine when it's 90 degrees and humid, so I would look at that list, roll my eyes and move on. My understanding is that all food and beverages are extremely expensive at CB (even by Maldives standards).

I (as well as many others) will be very interested to hear your feedback on the two resorts. I hope you have a great trip and a great time!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by xracer
I would never drink wine when it's 90 degrees and humid, so I would look at that list, roll my eyes and move on.
But she/he is mainly listing nice iced champagne
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:34 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I would have thought Cristal and Dom would have been at the W.

Something about Velaa just seems off: Champagne Lounge, the shilliest TripAdvisor reviews... but the golf course would be fun!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by declinespecificinformation
I would have thought Cristal and Dom would have been at the W.

Something about Velaa just seems off: Champagne Lounge, the shilliest TripAdvisor reviews... but the golf course would be fun!
I agree about Velaa, which is why I am curious to hear what fellow flyertalkers have to say. Something just seems off to me too.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:33 pm

You can't drink wine at 90 degrees!! For shame! Though ice in champagne is something I'm not too familiar with, perhaps that's more common in Italy with those other sparkling beverages that masquerade as champagne... Then again in that terrible 2003 Dom that's served on commercial airlines it probably won't hurt either.
There is no good champagne that will be impugned by a little humidity, though I'm rather expecting that 1947 will be air-conditioned - don't you think?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:12 am

Anselme or Jacques?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:50 am

Well goodness I just always think of Anselme as redefining his fathers estate so while the label says Jacques, the terroir, the Leflaive casks and the brilliant blending are all the son - at least to me. I do wish the production hadn't grown quite so much though but that doesnt take away from the genius of the Millesime 02.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:30 am

Well goodness I just always think of Anselme as redefining his fathers estate so while the label says Jacques, the terroir, the Leflaive casks and the brilliant blending are all the son - at least to me. I do wish the production hadn't grown quite so much though but that doesnt take away from the genius of the Millesime 02.
But you so rarely see Selosse on hotel cartes, especially in the Maldives. The best carte I ever found in the Maldives was in Taj Exotica's Deep End restaurant, which had an extraordinary number of excellent Provence Rosés.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:02 pm

Goodness no! At 75,000 cases a year he's becoming a little too easy to find. Fishers fritz and Lorenz just last week (pedestrian hotel restaurants if ever there were two) and now there's that hot dog place just past Oxford Circus that sells him by the glass. Again everyone needs to make a living but I'm sure Mr. Arnault and that nice Czech fellow must have a few cases lying around.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:43 am

Goodness no! At 75,000 cases a year he's becoming a little too easy to find. Fishers fritz and Lorenz just last week (pedestrian hotel restaurants if ever there were two) and now there's that hot dog place just past Oxford Circus that sells him by the glass. Again everyone needs to make a living but I'm sure Mr. Arnault and that nice Czech fellow must have a few cases lying around.
Oh, I had no idea. That is a little shocking, isn't it.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:47 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by xracer
I actually considered staying at Velaa for a few days, taking a boat to CB, staying there a few days, then taking a boat back to Velaa and staying for a few more days before going back. I know this sounds like a lot of moving, but I am offended by CB $1500 per person seaplane charge. Of course, if I did this, I still couldn't avoid the $85 cheeseburger at CB (not that I eat cheeseburgers, but still).
Why is the flight to CB $1500 per person? I thought it was a flat rate $400 everywhere?

Is it because CB is operating their own seaplane, as opposed to the other resorts who just use that standard seaplane provider?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.