Search

Maldives Luxury Resort (Combined) 2013/2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold, SPG Plat
Maldives Luxury Resort (Combined) 2013/2014

Hi all,

I am in search of your opinion for the best value of an overwater bungalow in the Maldives. Search results yield a couple of outdated threads that gave their opinion so I wanted to check if I am missing on any new resorts that offer better value.

I am interested in traveling next November for about a week to a resort in the Maldives that offers OWB accommodations ideally with their own plunge pool. A house reef is nice, but not absolutely necessary. Extra bonus if the on-site resort has an infinity pool. This will be for a honeymoon, so it'd be nice for it not to be over populated with kids and bungalows to not be immediately side by side. My budget is around ~$1K per night, incl. of taxes and xfers, excluding additional food/drink costs.

Couple of ideas: (rates are for Nov/Dec 2014)
  1. Anantara Kihavah - Over Water Pool Villa - $1.1-1.2K p/n
  2. Huvafen Fushi - Ocean Bungalow with Pool - $2K p/n
  3. Baros - Water / Pool Villa - $1k - $1.5K p/n
  4. Anantara Dhigu - Over Water Pool Suite - $848 p/n
  5. Taj Exotica - Deluxe Lagoon Villa with Pool - $900 p/n
  6. Coco Bodu Hithi - Water Villa / Escape Water Villa - $1.1K / $1.5K p / n

Any other suggestions to explore?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Very interested in the responses, as I'm already dreaming of another trip to the Maldives I've only stayed at the Conrad, but through my research have also found a couple others that I liked:

- Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru
- Cocoa Island by COMO
- One&Only Reethi Rah
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:46 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Having not yet arrived, we opted for the twin COMO package rather than the FS and Cheval Blanc. I felt like that was the best value. The other two seemed just a tiny bit nicer at 2-3x in price.

Originally Posted by sfoactuary
Very interested in the responses, as I'm already dreaming of another trip to the Maldives I've only stayed at the Conrad, but through my research have also found a couple others that I liked:

- Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru
- Cocoa Island by COMO
- One&Only Reethi Rah
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:24 pm

Didn't expect to be planning another Maldives trip so soon, but the great CX deal ex-MLE was too irresistible to pass up. I've been doing a ton of research and found 3 that I'm particularly interested in (in order):

1. Cocoa Island by COMO
2. Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru
3. Taj Exotica

If anyone has any recommendations or experiences at those resorts, would love to hear about it. Or based on what we're looking for (below), would welcome other recommendations as well.

We are looking at a 4-NT stay in early May, not necessarily tied to staying at an OWB. Goal of the trip is mostly R&R so good food, spa, and fitness activities would be a huge plus. We'd probably also do at least 1 day of diving. Since we're going for such a short time would prefer something that's pretty close to MLE, and all look to be <30 min speedboat transfers from what I read.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:03 am

Didn't expect to be planning another Maldives trip so soon, but the great CX deal ex-MLE was too irresistible to pass up. I've been doing a ton of research and found 3 that I'm particularly interested in (in order):

1. Cocoa Island by COMO
2. Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru
3. Taj Exotica

If anyone has any recommendations or experiences at those resorts, would love to hear about it. Or based on what we're looking for (below), would welcome other recommendations as well.

We are looking at a 4-NT stay in early May, not necessarily tied to staying at an OWB. Goal of the trip is mostly R&R so good food, spa, and fitness activities would be a huge plus. We'd probably also do at least 1 day of diving. Since we're going for such a short time would prefer something that's pretty close to MLE, and all look to be <30 min speedboat transfers from what I read.
May is not a great time to go to The Maldives as rainy season has begun by then, so you have to expect a fair amount of rain, which is not too acceptable when you are confined to an island.

Close to Malé, best options are FS Kuda Huraa, Taj Exotica, COMO Cocoa Island and Gili Lankanfushi (although this is probably the least acceptable during rainy season as accommodation is all overwater and inwater).

Banyan Tree is TINY! You go mad there when it's dry. You would go crazy when it's wet.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
May is not a great time to go to The Maldives as rainy season has begun by then, so you have to expect a fair amount of rain, which is not too acceptable when you are confined to an island.

Close to Malé, best options are FS Kuda Huraa, Taj Exotica, COMO Cocoa Island and Gili Lankanfushi (although this is probably the least acceptable during rainy season as accommodation is all overwater and inwater).

Banyan Tree is TINY! You go mad there when it's dry. You would go crazy when it's wet.
Thanks very much for the input, I will rule out the Banyan Tree.

I know that May isn't a great time to visit, but unfortunately that's the only window my wife gave me due to work schedules. We are planning for early May (first week), so hopefully the seasonal gods are late this year.

In terms of the rain - how bad will it be? Raining 25% of the time? 50%? 100%? During our time there we'd likely plan a spa day and a diving day so those wouldn't be impacted, but obviously the other days would be spend inside vs. out on the beach. Are we setting ourselves up for a completely miserable holiday there?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:46 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

I know that May isn't a great time to visit, but unfortunately that's the only window my wife gave me due to work schedules. We are planning for early May (first week), so hopefully the seasonal gods are late this year.

In terms of the rain - how bad will it be? Raining 25% of the time? 50%? 100%? During our time there we'd likely plan a spa day and a diving day so those wouldn't be impacted, but obviously the other days would be spend inside vs. out on the beach. Are we setting ourselves up for a completely miserable holiday there?
Do be aware that in early May, you will encounter a couple of local holiday periods (namely from China and Russia). Expect that resorts will be crowded. At most places, the less expensive summer rates do not kick in until after mid-May and after those holidays are over.

IMO the rain is no worse in early May than it is in late May, so you are probably better off going after the local holidays are over (and the resorts are much less crowded and less expensive). I've been in late May on two separate occasions and have had good weather both times.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:53 am

These days it is impossible to predict the weather, as you know. The normal average for May is around 7 inches per month, rising to 11 inches in June. If you travel at the start of May, then hopefully it will be OK, as April rainfall is only around 2.2 inches.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:59 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

These days it is impossible to predict the weather, as you know. The normal average for May is around 7 inches per month, rising to 11 inches in June. If you travel at the start of May, then hopefully it will be OK, as April rainfall is only around 2.2 inches.
Looking at just the amounts is only part of the story. You also have to take into account when the rains fall, how long the rain lasts and how hard it rains. Often, in May and June, much of the rain falls at night.

But as you say, impossible to predict the weather. I know of someone who went over Christmas, paid those silly 'festive season' rates and had rain from start to finish (and this, supposedly in the 'dry' season).

Personally, I'd rather take the chance of slightly more rain in late May over the certainty of resorts crowded with loud Russians and Chinese in early May (sorry to single out specific nationalities, but we all know it's true).
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:40 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
The W looks pretty good: http://www.aluxurytravelblog.com/201...-spa-maldives/
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by deathscar
No it's not
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
No it's not
A vuittonofstyle CLASSIC
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:44 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
No it's not
Why's that? Not usually a W fan but the Maldives one is rather good.

I've also heard things of the One&Only as well as one of the Four Seasons.

Others I've heard of where friends have good experiences: Jumeirah Dhevanfushi and Anantara Kihavah.

Cheval Blanc just opened up there too.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by deathscar
Why's that? Not usually a W fan but the Maldives one is rather good.
Among other things the overwater jetty looks very high density. With two great Four Seasons properties, One and Only, Soneva, etc... I frankly would never bother with the W.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:39 pm

I've poked around the Cheval Blanc website but doesn't look like rates are posted, need to email.

Anyone have an idea of the nightly rates there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.