Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Rosewood Mayakoba vs. Banyan Tree vs others (Cancun, Mexico)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rosewood Mayakoba vs. Banyan Tree vs others (Cancun, Mexico)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

You can't compare the Ritz and the Fairmont to the BT and Rosewood. They're on different levels. Why would you think the Ritz has better serivice?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Hotelsforlife
You can't compare the Ritz and the Fairmont to the BT and Rosewood. They're on different levels. Why would you think the Ritz has better serivice?
Was thinkin' the same thing here...
Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:31 am

I have stayed at both the Ritz and the Banyan Tree, and have visited the Fairmont. I think most of us on this forum will agree that the Ritz and Fairmont would not be considered luxury hotels, regardless of their AAA rating. We had a bad stay at the Banyan Tree, however I would still choose to stay there over the Ritz or Fairmont anyday!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:48 pm

Realize this is slightly off the topic of this thread... Thought it may be of interest to some here though.

We had quite a luxurious stay in a Beachfront Casita Suite at the Fairmont Mayakoba recently. (and dinner at Banyan Tree!)

In our opinion, the suite and overall experience were luxurious, and if you'd like to read more about it I posted it in the Fairmont forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20610613-post243.html

Coincidentally, we spent the next five days in an Oceanfront suite at the Ritz! Not quite the luxury we experienced at the Fairmont, but the Ritz was quite nice as well. If you are interested, I'll post that overview in the Marriott forum under Cancun area properties.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: United 1K (GS Refugee), Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by tmr10001
I have stayed at both the Ritz and the Banyan Tree, and have visited the Fairmont. I think most of us on this forum will agree that the Ritz and Fairmont would not be considered luxury hotels, regardless of their AAA rating. We had a bad stay at the Banyan Tree, however I would still choose to stay there over the Ritz or Fairmont anyday!
Agree with sentiment 100%. Have stayed at Ritz Cancun in a really nice one bedroom ocean front suite, but the Rosewood is very different style hotel. Ritz is built for groups IMHO and, while really nice, was somewhat impersonal given size. Mayakoba (with exception of Fairmont maybe) is diffent approach than the hotel zone in Cancun. Even though the beach is smaller, it feels private given location in the protected wetlands, etc. We would stay Rosewood, than Banyan Tree and probably even Fairmont before going back to Ritz (despite being a big fan of many RC hotels and resorts) if just looking at the resorts themselves, unless one wants to be in the middle of the action more at the Hotel Zone proper. Since my 11 year old can't really hang out til the wee hours at Senor Frogs, we will continue to go back to Mayakoba.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by CarletonSloth
Agree with sentiment 100%. Have stayed at Ritz Cancun in a really nice one bedroom ocean front suite, but the Rosewood is very different style hotel. Ritz is built for groups IMHO and, while really nice, was somewhat impersonal given size. Mayakoba (with exception of Fairmont maybe) is diffent approach than the hotel zone in Cancun. Even though the beach is smaller, it feels private given location in the protected wetlands, etc. We would stay Rosewood, than Banyan Tree and probably even Fairmont before going back to Ritz (despite being a big fan of many RC hotels and resorts) if just looking at the resorts themselves, unless one wants to be in the middle of the action more at the Hotel Zone proper. Since my 11 year old can't really hang out til the wee hours at Senor Frogs, we will continue to go back to Mayakoba.
But, when your 11 year old turns 15 or 16, there is some benefit to being closer to the action (even if this does not yet involve alcohol).

We also stayed in an Oceanfront Suite at the Ritz - very nice room and we enjoyed sitting out on our large balcony looking out over the ocean...

For the (older) kids, the mall is a short walk away, more food choices in the nearby vicinity, and a lot more people around.

In my opinion, Fairmont (and Mayakoba) better for a quiet and peaceful getaway, primarily self-contained to the resort itself.

Ritz (and the other quality hotels on the strip) better if you do want more options, more people, more nightlife and action.
Old May 18, 2013, 6:48 pm

Can only speak from my experience, and IME, service at the Ritz was much more professional and polished than service at BT.

And beach, very important to me, much better.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by lotuseater52
Can only speak from my experience, and IME, service at the Ritz was much more professional and polished than service at BT.

And beach, very important to me, much better.
As I understand it from reading your prior posts in this thread, your experience with the Mayakoba properties is from having lunch at the Banyan Tree and visiting the Fairmont two years ago. I might be off, as you don't specify which hotel you had lunch at in your first post up thread, please let me know if I'm misreading this or your opinion is based on any other experience.

This is not to take away anything from your experience or post, it simply lets us all know what you're basing your statement on.
Old May 20, 2013, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BT got amazing reviews here when it opened, now seems consistently bad (other than some villas being great)

curious if maroma is as acceptable as rosewood
Old May 20, 2013, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
BT got amazing reviews here when it opened, now seems consistently bad (other than some villas being great)

curious if maroma is as acceptable as rosewood
If you read my Fairmont review (earlier post), you'll see a not glowing review of a dinner we had at BT...

But, that was all we saw of BT, so cannot comment on any other aspect of the resort.

We also spent 5 days at the Ritz Cancun after our three days at the Fairmont. I am intending to write a brief review, have not gotten to it yet...

The stay at the Ritz was excellent. It is a big hotel, in a strip of big hotels, so this needs to be what you are looking for!

At the Ritz: Front Desk, Valet, Concierge, Housekeeping, Management, Bell Staff, Pool Attendants, Pool Wait Staff, Beach Staff, Beach Lifeguard, Room Service, Restaurant Service (am I missing anybody? ) were universally excellent. Really solid, professional, and courteous service all around, which we all appreciated.

The morning after we dined at The Club Grill, there was an envelope under the door of our room with a nice note (on high quality stationary) signed by the chef, manager, and our server thanking us for dining there. A nice touch. Dinner was excellent, by the way.
Old May 20, 2013, 5:47 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
LarkSFO, I'd like to hear more about the RC. We've got some points that could be used there. Thanks.
Old May 20, 2013, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ericka
LarkSFO, I'd like to hear more about the RC. We've got some points that could be used there. Thanks.
For you, I will write a report!

I'll PM you when I put the review up in the Marriott / Ritz hotel forum.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:34 am

Rosewood Mayakoba vs. Banyan Tree (Cancun, Mexico)

Which property, rosewood or banyan tree, has the biggest wow effect? How do you get to the beach at either? Do they provide golf carts?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:55 pm

I have stayed at both several times, last time Feb 2013. Big picture, they are very very similar - both resorts are the same size, with a similar resort layout on the same beach (i.e. you will ride a golf cart to get there either way unless you opt to stay beachfront). They differences are more on the design and management/service front. Rosewood has a more minimalist design with good but somewhat aloof but well-trained service. BT has modern Asian design and friendlier and more attentive service in my experience. BT has much bigger villa pools, though no adults only pool, and the lagoon view from the Rosewood villas/pool is nicer. Beaches are basically the same, but I'd give a slight nod to the BT beach (bigger at high tide). BT has better restaurants, but one is Thai so it's helpful to like that - although it's easy to dine anywhere you want at Mayakoba (they run you back and forth in a luxury SUV or boat at no charge). BT also does these ridiculous in-villa BBQ's that are my favorite (not to mention things like private outdoor yoga in your villa). Both have great spas, though the concept at each is different - Rosewood has amazing common areas, while BT has Thai therapists and no common area. Gym better at Rosewood, but both new, nice and not crowded. Fewer kids at BT. And better value. What else...BT crowd mostly NYC/London v. less international and more Dallas at Rosewood. Banyan Tree is the bigger wow for me and the one I keep going back to, but at the end of the day I would say that they're really similar, you can experience both no matter which you decide to stay at, and to go with whichever one seems more your style.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:52 pm

I see that Bt is not virtuoso property. Is there any amenities or offers by booking through virtuoso agent anyways?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.