FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rosewood Mayakoba vs. Banyan Tree vs others (Cancun, Mexico)
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:16 am
CarletonSloth

Programs: United 1K (GS Refugee), Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by tmr10001
I have stayed at both the Ritz and the Banyan Tree, and have visited the Fairmont. I think most of us on this forum will agree that the Ritz and Fairmont would not be considered luxury hotels, regardless of their AAA rating. We had a bad stay at the Banyan Tree, however I would still choose to stay there over the Ritz or Fairmont anyday!
Agree with sentiment 100%. Have stayed at Ritz Cancun in a really nice one bedroom ocean front suite, but the Rosewood is very different style hotel. Ritz is built for groups IMHO and, while really nice, was somewhat impersonal given size. Mayakoba (with exception of Fairmont maybe) is diffent approach than the hotel zone in Cancun. Even though the beach is smaller, it feels private given location in the protected wetlands, etc. We would stay Rosewood, than Banyan Tree and probably even Fairmont before going back to Ritz (despite being a big fan of many RC hotels and resorts) if just looking at the resorts themselves, unless one wants to be in the middle of the action more at the Hotel Zone proper. Since my 11 year old can't really hang out til the wee hours at Senor Frogs, we will continue to go back to Mayakoba.