Wiki Posts
Search

Carmel Valley Ranch or somewhere else?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Carmel Valley Ranch or somewhere else?

Got 5 days around the San Francisco area with 2 kids. Thinking about going to the Carmel Valley Ranch as they have tennis and I assume swimming.

Any other suggestions? Was thinking of driving up to Napa but worried not much for kids to do.

Open to driving 2-3 hours from SFO in any direction. Going over the summer holidays.

No set budget.

Thanks for any suggestions.

P.S. read other posts on FT about Carmel Valley but all very old.

Last edited by bagold; Jan 28, 2013 at 9:04 am
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Beaches near Santa Cruz, Hearst Castle, and horseback riding in what was possibly the Redwood Forest but might have been just your bog-standard forested mountain were all highlights for my brother and I that we still talk about today.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: US Airways Silver; Delta
If your kids don't need a lot of activities I would recommend the L'auberge Carmel. I found the service very personal and the breakfast (complimentary) great. The location is also very central and you can walk to anywhere you need to.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:05 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never been but I hear good things about the Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Post Ranch is excellent but definitely not for kids (which is what makes it excellent for those wanting privacy, quiet, etc....)
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
How about the Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay?

Another thought, though not really "luxury" is Seascape,in Aptos, with easy access to the beach. We went there a few times with our daughters and always got a two bedroom suite looking out at the ocean. Those units have a full kitchen too, if you want to have some meals in.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Post Ranch Inn was created for adults to relax, rejuvenate and nurture relationships. Therefore, our minimum age for guests is 18 years.

http://www.postranchinn.com/reservations/
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:46 pm

Unless you're partial to cold & fog, forget the previous suggestions. Weather sucks on the coast 90% of the Summer. You got it right the 1st time. Carmel Valley doesn't get fog 'till after dark usually & it's nice and warm during the day. If the coast is clear - it's a short drive to the beach. You may get 4 or 5 hrs of beach weather during the day, but I wouldn't count on it. I'm kinda partial to Tahoe. It's gorgeous and the weather is perfect. 200 miles - 3 & 1/2 hrs though. If you go w/out the kids sometime try Bernardus. It's my fave down that way.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:03 am

I think Carmel Valley Ranch is the best option if you are traveling with young kids. It's not right on the coast, so you'll get nice sunny afternoon to enjoy the pool and play golf. Do your kids play a lot of tennis? Carmel Valley Ranch has nice tennis facility and they recently resurfaced their courts. I think they also offer pretty good group clinics as well. If that's not enough and your kids get bored and you want some down time on your own, Carmel Valley Athletic Club is nearby and I think you can get a day-pass and they offer some nice summer programs for kids.

Post Ranch Inn is definitely not for little kids. I think they have age limit. Bernardus is nice but your kids will probably get bored.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:08 am
Community Director Emerita

Ric Garrido, or satori on FlyerTalk, had a great blog entry today on the wineries of Carmel Valley. I realize your little ones don't need introduced to wines just yet, but others reading this thread might be interested.

Monterey County Wineries and Hotels: Carmel Valley Road
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
My problem with Post Ranch Inn are the bathroom. They all (except one ADA-Room) have shower/ tub combus. Not what I expect for the prices.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
bernardus is great: when we go there are always a few kids, who look happy.
I think there is tennis? Good pool, great food.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:05 am

We stayed at CVR in Nov. and in my opinion, it's the perfect choice for families. The suites and bathrooms are huge and have amenities like a fridge, coffee machine, multiple fireplaces and tv's. They do have activities for the kids and hiking trails if you just need to get out. There are grocery stores and casual restaurants nearby.

The weather in the Valley is much better than closer to the coast but you are close enough to take advantage of all that Monterey Bay has to offer. The Aquarium, Kayaking in MB, exploring Big Sur, Santa Cruz Beach boardwalk, the dog beaches of Carmel By the sea, 17 mile drive.....the list is endless. There's lots of good, local live theater and performances in the area. Do a little research prior and see if there's an event they would enjoy.

Say hi to Roxy, the cute english bulldog in the lobby, her hours are posted near the concierge.

Don't second guess yourself ...you made a great choice. Have fun.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
If going during the summer, then Carmel Valley Ranch would be a great option because you are much less likely to see fog. They did a very good job with the renovation and I've enjoyed the rooms both times I've stayed there.

If you're going in before Memorial Day or after Labor Day, then you could also check out the rates at Pebble Beach/Spanish Bay. They have tennis & swimming available at both properties...and the golf isn't half bad either!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.