FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Carmel Valley Ranch or somewhere else? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1432675-carmel-valley-ranch-somewhere-else.html)

bagold Jan 28, 2013 8:22 am

Carmel Valley Ranch or somewhere else?

Got 5 days around the San Francisco area with 2 kids. Thinking about going to the Carmel Valley Ranch as they have tennis and I assume swimming.

Any other suggestions? Was thinking of driving up to Napa but worried not much for kids to do.

Open to driving 2-3 hours from SFO in any direction. Going over the summer holidays.

No set budget.

Thanks for any suggestions.

P.S. read other posts on FT about Carmel Valley but all very old.

Arsey00 Jan 28, 2013 8:48 am

Beaches near Santa Cruz, Hearst Castle, and horseback riding in what was possibly the Redwood Forest but might have been just your bog-standard forested mountain were all highlights for my brother and I that we still talk about today.

Usairelite Jan 28, 2013 2:36 pm

If your kids don't need a lot of activities I would recommend the L'auberge Carmel. I found the service very personal and the breakfast (complimentary) great. The location is also very central and you can walk to anywhere you need to.

RichardInSF Jan 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Never been but I hear good things about the Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur.

lb8001 Jan 29, 2013 10:13 am

Post Ranch is excellent but definitely not for kids (which is what makes it excellent for those wanting privacy, quiet, etc....)

michelin Jan 29, 2013 3:46 pm

How about the Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay?

Another thought, though not really "luxury" is Seascape,in Aptos, with easy access to the beach. We went there a few times with our daughters and always got a two bedroom suite looking out at the ocean. Those units have a full kitchen too, if you want to have some meals in.

francophile Jan 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Post Ranch Inn was created for adults to relax, rejuvenate and nurture relationships. Therefore, our minimum age for guests is 18 years.

http://www.postranchinn.com/reservations/

whackyjacky Jan 29, 2013 9:46 pm

Unless you're partial to cold & fog, forget the previous suggestions. Weather sucks on the coast 90% of the Summer. You got it right the 1st time. Carmel Valley doesn't get fog 'till after dark usually & it's nice and warm during the day. If the coast is clear - it's a short drive to the beach. You may get 4 or 5 hrs of beach weather during the day, but I wouldn't count on it. I'm kinda partial to Tahoe. It's gorgeous and the weather is perfect. 200 miles - 3 & 1/2 hrs though. If you go w/out the kids sometime try Bernardus. It's my fave down that way.

Cynnamin Jan 30, 2013 12:03 am

I think Carmel Valley Ranch is the best option if you are traveling with young kids. It's not right on the coast, so you'll get nice sunny afternoon to enjoy the pool and play golf. Do your kids play a lot of tennis? Carmel Valley Ranch has nice tennis facility and they recently resurfaced their courts. I think they also offer pretty good group clinics as well. If that's not enough and your kids get bored and you want some down time on your own, Carmel Valley Athletic Club is nearby and I think you can get a day-pass and they offer some nice summer programs for kids.

Post Ranch Inn is definitely not for little kids. I think they have age limit. Bernardus is nice but your kids will probably get bored.

SanDiego1K Jan 30, 2013 1:08 am

Ric Garrido, or satori on FlyerTalk, had a great blog entry today on the wineries of Carmel Valley. I realize your little ones don't need introduced to wines just yet, but others reading this thread might be interested.

Monterey County Wineries and Hotels: Carmel Valley Road

offerendum Jan 30, 2013 2:52 am

My problem with Post Ranch Inn are the bathroom. They all (except one ADA-Room) have shower/ tub combus. Not what I expect for the prices.

mmack Jan 30, 2013 6:28 pm

bernardus is great: when we go there are always a few kids, who look happy.
I think there is tennis? Good pool, great food.

msk6261 Feb 1, 2013 7:05 am

We stayed at CVR in Nov. and in my opinion, it's the perfect choice for families. The suites and bathrooms are huge and have amenities like a fridge, coffee machine, multiple fireplaces and tv's. They do have activities for the kids and hiking trails if you just need to get out. There are grocery stores and casual restaurants nearby.

The weather in the Valley is much better than closer to the coast but you are close enough to take advantage of all that Monterey Bay has to offer. The Aquarium, Kayaking in MB, exploring Big Sur, Santa Cruz Beach boardwalk, the dog beaches of Carmel By the sea, 17 mile drive.....the list is endless. There's lots of good, local live theater and performances in the area. Do a little research prior and see if there's an event they would enjoy.

Say hi to Roxy, the cute english bulldog in the lobby, her hours are posted near the concierge.

Don't second guess yourself ...you made a great choice. Have fun.

mctrees02 Feb 4, 2013 8:56 am

If going during the summer, then Carmel Valley Ranch would be a great option because you are much less likely to see fog. They did a very good job with the renovation and I've enjoyed the rooms both times I've stayed there.

If you're going in before Memorial Day or after Labor Day, then you could also check out the rates at Pebble Beach/Spanish Bay. They have tennis & swimming available at both properties...and the golf isn't half bad either! :)