Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ahwahnee @ Yosemite over NYE

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Ahwahnee @ Yosemite over NYE

I just called to book four nights at the Ahwahnee Hotel but am told they are already completely sold out of all room classes save for those in the basic "Classic Room" category for New Year's weekend. I was hoping to book a Parlor Suite w/ stone fireplace and balcony with a view towards the mountains. I wanted to ask whether anyone has stayed in a "Classic Room" at this hotel before, and if so, I'd appreciate your feedback. I would also like to know whether there's any chance or possibility that suites may free up between now and the holidays, or is this highly unlikely? I'm really bummed that I didn't act on this sooner. I wanted to surprise my girlfriend with this, but I'm hesitant to book into a basic room at an old lodge hotel like this as it's really not the experience I wanted. Is this property always so packed, or is it just the holiday timing?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OliverB
sold out of all room classes save for those in the basic "Classic Room" category for New Year's weekend
so not sold out (surprising/economy?)
only 123 rooms, 3 months out
Originally Posted by nsx
December 30 and 31 [2008] they were accepting walk-ups due to cancellations by other guests
there are only 4 parlors and 2 jr suites, but there are 24 cottages
Originally Posted by number_6
I'd probably go with the lodge
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Cottage!

FYI re holidays - some destinations/properties reserve by invitation only more than a year in advance

Ahwahnee >
Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
I'm told that prime holiday reservations are always taken up by the same families, some of them are already into the 4th generation.
elsewhere >
Originally Posted by BLV
Eden Rock has advised that they are fully committed as their hotel is reserved a year or more in advance by repeat clients who confirm well in advance and they are waitlisted until their rates are available
Originally Posted by TrophyCollector
St. Moritz: Palace and Suvretta are exclusively booked by aristocracy and old money from DE/AT/CH over Christmas. One generation hands the rooms over to the next.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 25, 2012 at 5:24 am
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

I'm specifically speaking of the suites and parlor rooms though. Is there a likelihood that these may open up before the holidays, or not much chance of that? I'm really disappointed in myself for not planning sooner.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:07 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I suggest counting your lucky stars that there was any availability. Take what they are offering and have a very special NYE. Lock up your dinner reservations. This is one venue where I would not be concerned about upgrades. Walk outside..and inhale the beauty.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I suggest counting your lucky stars that there was any availability. Take what they are offering and have a very special NYE. Lock up your dinner reservations. This is one venue where I would not be concerned about upgrades. Walk outside..and inhale the beauty.

I would second this. Bring some special wine, bath salts whatever/etc to make the room special. The dining room and the outdoors have enough "wow" factor to make you grateful to sleep in the middle of it even not in your first choice of rooms. A very special place to spend NYE.

[As an aside, you might be able to get suites or cabins at the Tenaya Lodge, which is just outside the park. But NOT the grandeur of the Ahwahnee and not in the valley. Nice for what it is, and the rooms are quite decent if you want space and access to the park.]
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Yes, the surroundings are unmatched anywhere. I know this, but was really hoping for a 'special room' as I'm surprising my girlfriend with this as a delayed Christmas present, and wanted to book a special suite for the ocassion. Plus 3-4 nights in icy snow capped cold and wintery temperatures can feel a lot longer and I wanted to enjoy the outdoors from the indoors just as much, if that makes sense. A wood burning fireplace and balcony in historic lodge settings would have been really nice over a standard basic hotel room... that won't dissuade me from booking! I'm just wondering if there's any chance of something more ideal freeing up between now and January? The Mary Curry, El Dorado, JFK, or Library Suites for instance, or any of the scenic parlor rooms.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:47 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
How about finding another nice hotel with woodburning fireplaces and gorgeous views? There are always other options.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the question has no answer

1. i presume you got on waitlist before posting
2. you could call frequently to check in

3. what if - talk to hotel about whether they would be willing to talk to booked guests about downgrading for compensation. harder to do when there is a budget, vs no budget, but theoretically still possible to ask/negotiate. just depends on property. talk to management only.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:22 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ericka
How about finding another nice hotel with woodburning fireplaces and gorgeous views? There are always other options.
Not in or near Yosemite Valley, AFAIK. The Ahwanee is the best and only. It is unique (like the Furnace Creek Inn in Death Valley and the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone), but is not luxury.

For that time of year, you take what you can get.

I've never tried Erna's Elderberry House, rooms associated with what is supposed to be an excellent restaurant. No one ends up n Oakhurst, CA, by accident! However, it is south of the park and close to an hour's drive from Yosemite Valley.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
The "JFK" suite (which is actually 2 separately booked rooms if you want full exclusivity) at the Ahwahnee sounds ideal for your needs, but this property is often fully booked at peak periods (late spring to early fall, holidays and special events). Unfortunately the only way I've ever secured this room (when I knew it was essential to do so) was booking it precisely when it first becomes available, which is a year in advance.

Please report back if you have any success with alternative methods, good luck!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:33 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I guess I meant to say, why does it have to be Yosemite Valley? I personally would rather travel a little farther to have the right room in the right hotel. Or even the right cabin for that matter. IMHO, nothing replaces a woodburning fireplace and a deep soaking tub. I doubt you're going to get either of those things in a "classic room".

Anyway, just keep in mind what is important to your girlfriend. Maybe she doesn't care about a fireplace. Maybe she doesn't care about a big tub. Maybe she does.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubb1
JFK" suite...booking it precisely when it first becomes available, which is a year in advance
so a bunch of people are sitting around waiting for a clock to strike a certain time then calling/clicking/etc? better than invitation only.

Ericka, sounds like its unmatched location and worth at least one trip at some point. (but to your point - any time, its not going anywhere.)

i believe this is everything in this forum (outside this thread) >
Originally Posted by number_6
Ahwanee is glorious. Bit cold at the beginning of April, making the cottages less attractive than they would normally be. I'd probably go with the lodge just because I hate cold; in May I'd pick the cottages instead. Also be careful, they have some tent cottages (but I think those aren't marketed as part of Ahwanee).
Done both. Cottage! They have heat and they are a LOT more private.

The Ahwanee is a special place but is definitely not a luxury hotel; the room charge is as high as it is for three reasons: (all together now) location, location, and location.
Cottage we had didn't have a functional fireplace, alas. There is always the huge fireplace in the main building.

I must be getting way too old, the first time I ever stayed at the Ahwanee, Yosemite still had the daily firefall, which was a sight to behold indeed. I was 4 and still remember it.
Originally Posted by Travlynn
Ahwahnee Hotel on the valley floor - another wonderful experience, although not the height of luxury, just a beautiful, gracious old hotel? (If you can get reservs!)
Originally Posted by trojanman
I really want to go to yosemite, but the Ahwahnee is not available,and quite frankly none of the other hotels in the area look remotely worthwhile
Yosemite Valley is why people come to Yosemite.

To the OP: there are last minute cancellations on occasion at the Ahwanee, so another possibility is to get a cancelable rate in Carmel and keep checking the Ahwanee if you really prefer Yosemite. The Ahwanee is upscale but do not confuse it with a luxury hotel, you are paying for location and, IMO, it's well worth it for that.
Originally Posted by nsx
The Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite is spectacular if you can get in. Last December 30 and 31 they were accepting walk-ups due to cancellations by other guests. The place had a foot of snow, icicles everywhere, and completely clear blue skies. As I said, spectacular.
+1.
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel
I would divide "best hotels" into categories (I have indicated my favorites):

Historical, Scenic, etc. - Ahwahnee, Phantom Ranch

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 20, 2012 at 11:58 am
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:48 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
+1,000,000,000

Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Ericka, sounds like its unmatched location and worth at least one trip at some point. (but to your point - any time, its not going anywhere.)

so a bunch of people are sitting around waiting for a clock to strike a certain time then calling/clicking/etc? better than invitation only.
Well, I don't think the suites are listed online, so we call them when they open for the day, however it is probably overkill unless you have no flexibility on specific suite and/or date during peak times mentioned above.

Agree with others that the location can outweigh the room/hotel, but the "unlisted" suites here are a vast improvement over the basic rooms, and in winter having a view from indoors with a proper fireplace is spectacular!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
This is maybe the only hotel in the world that I'm happy to find ANY availability during the dates I need. Take what you can get and be happy. I'd alter an international itinerary if I could fit in the Ahwahnee.

Truthfully Yosemite Lodge is fine also. I'd avoid Curry. Always disliked it there .... Actually, if forced, I'd take a tented cabin at the lodge. Yosemite is that good.

Don't you run into the Bracebridge people on those dates?

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Sep 21, 2012 at 8:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.