Alila Uluwatu & Alila Soori Resorts Bali

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alila Uluwatu & Alila Soori Resorts Bali

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer
I have stayed at both resorts, and can only agree with "crazycrab955": both hotels are excellent, over-the-top and highly recommanded. I will post some photos on my website (www.theluxurytravelexpert.com) but these was my impression of both hotels

ALILA VILLAS ULUWATU
Pros:
•The unique and über-chic design of the hotel’s common areas and open-plan rooms will blow you away upon arrival. From an architectural point of view, this is one of the most stunning hotels that you will ever visit. It should be on your Bucket list.
•The jaw-dropping setting of the resort is a visual delight: it is built on cliffs 150 meters above the Indian Ocean offering panoramic views.
•The 50m infinity pool perched along the cliff edge takes a serious claim to be one of the most spectacular hotel pools in the world.
•About 400 steps through the jungle (a 10 minute walk down and a 20 minute walk up when you are in shape) will bring you to a private, remote and wild golden sand beach. Honestly, it is one of the most beautiful beaches that you can find on Bali (somehow reminiscent of the rugged Napali coast in Hawaii). Keep in mind that most of the beach disappears at high tide and is out of the shadow for only a couple of hours around noon (so time your visit). Also, there is no beach club or service or whatsoever, so the beach is simply there to be enjoyed in all its natural beauty.
•You'll be assigned a 24-hour personal butler during your stay (choose between private, discreet and indulgent service options).
•One the biggest strengths of the resort is the very well trained staff and management. They are omnipresent though very discrete, and will do all they can (and more) to make your holiday a success. The general manager was there to greet us and to say goodbye: this is one of the few luxury hotel that I visited where the general manager was so visible and seemed to genuinely care about his guests. It makes you feel very welcome.
•The serene, open-plan rooms with minimalistic interiors will exceed your high expectations: very spacious, incredible design, reasonably sized private pool, wonderful cabana, incredibly soft bed, and some of the best bathroom amenities that you will ever receive at a hotel.
•The resort has 2 restaurants on site: Cire offers contemporary Western-style cuisine while the more mellow Warung offers authentic Indonesian fare.

Cons:
Nevertheless, I do want to share with you some 'negative' points or things that you need to keep in mind when booking a room at Alila Uluwatu:
•The location of the resort is stunning, but you cannot see the sun set in the ocean (which somehow I had expected). The resort will be in the shade about 1 hour before sunset (at least, this is the case in the dry season).
•The famous view on the cliffs and ocean can only be enjoyed from the “sunset” cabana, not from the pool, nor from your room. The higher your room is located on the hill, the better the view but it will still not be an open view onto the ocean
•As said, the beach is wonderful but can only be reached by many steps and there is no service on offer. The last day, we found out that next door, there is a public beach club available in a similar spectacular setting where you can lounge on day beds. It would have been nice if we had known this from the beginning (so I would advise the hotel to make their guest aware of this option). Also keep in mind that the luxurious Bulgari hotel next door also has a similar beach (with a lift to beach and with a beach club, so this may be an option if you would like a setting like Alila but with beach club).
•Breakfast is served according to a very original concept (a daily changing, à la carte menu) and tastes delicious. Keep in mind though that when booking a room at Alila Uluwata, breakfast will mostly not be included in the room rate (it costs about 25 US dollar excluding 21% tax and service).
•Food at the Indonesian restaurant was excellent, but I was not impressed at all by their Western menu. They should work on that, and improve their Western food.

ALILA VILLA SOORI
Pros :
•Location, location, location : the hotel is located between beautiful rice fields and a marvelous wild black sand beach. Where else in Bali will you find this?
•Colors: the combination of the fresh green colour of the grass, the black colour of the sand, and the blue color of the ocean was a visual delight.
•Sounds: the non-stop crashing of the very rough waves will sound like music to your ears (but can also keep you awake at night, so bring ear plugs)
•The hotel feels uber-luxurious with grand yet intimate public spaces
•The service is topnotch: everybody will serve you with a smile.
•The spa is the best I encountered in Bali: the spa itself displays a wonderful atmosphere, with beautiful, darkened treatment rooms. The therapists are very skilled. And frankly, the treatments were not too expensive.
•The food is delicious & memorable (and better than the food at its sister hotel in Uluwatu)
•The rooms are beautifully appointed (although less luxurious than the rooms at Uluwatu), and each room comes with a private pool. Bed is very soft.

Cons:
•While the ocean-front setting is spectacular, is it true that the location is pretty isolated (45 minutes from Seminyak, and 90 minutes from Ubud). But I consider this to be an advantage rather than a disadvantage. It is the ideal hotel to chill for a day of 3 and do absolutely nothing (except for beach walks as well as walks in neighboring rice fields).
•Because of its isolated location, excursions always involves long transfer. But frankly, why bother with a day trip to Ubud (2 x 90 minutes transfer) while staying at this hotel: just visit Ubud first (and stay at the Como Shambhala Estate) and then proceed to this hotel.
•Stay in an ocean room and not in a beach room (beach rooms lack sunlight on their terrace since they are located below the ocean rooms).
•I missed a hot tube at the property (near the main pool)
•I would prefer that the room rates would be inclusive of breakfast
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:04 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Good call on the suggestions. There's also an Alila in Ubud (used to be the Chedi?) so you could stay there first (although it's not as luxe as the two 'Villas' resorts) then go to Soori or Uluwatu, rather than stationing yourself in Soori and doing day trips to Ubud.

As you say, the COMO Shambala Estate is also a great option. I think UMA/COMO has another resort in Ubud too - and there is also the FS Sayan and Amandari.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by theLuxuryTravelExpert
I have stayed at both resorts, and can only agree with "crazycrab955": both hotels are excellent, over-the-top and highly recommanded. I will post some photos on my website (www.theluxurytravelexpert.com) but these was my impression of both hotels

ALILA VILLAS ULUWATU
Pros:
•The unique and über-chic design of the hotel’s common areas and open-plan rooms will blow you away upon arrival. From an architectural point of view, this is one of the most stunning hotels that you will ever visit. It should be on your Bucket list.
•The jaw-dropping setting of the resort is a visual delight: it is built on cliffs 150 meters above the Indian Ocean offering panoramic views.
•The 50m infinity pool perched along the cliff edge takes a serious claim to be one of the most spectacular hotel pools in the world.
•About 400 steps through the jungle (a 10 minute walk down and a 20 minute walk up when you are in shape) will bring you to a private, remote and wild golden sand beach. Honestly, it is one of the most beautiful beaches that you can find on Bali (somehow reminiscent of the rugged Napali coast in Hawaii). Keep in mind that most of the beach disappears at high tide and is out of the shadow for only a couple of hours around noon (so time your visit). Also, there is no beach club or service or whatsoever, so the beach is simply there to be enjoyed in all its natural beauty.
•You'll be assigned a 24-hour personal butler during your stay (choose between private, discreet and indulgent service options).
•One the biggest strengths of the resort is the very well trained staff and management. They are omnipresent though very discrete, and will do all they can (and more) to make your holiday a success. The general manager was there to greet us and to say goodbye: this is one of the few luxury hotel that I visited where the general manager was so visible and seemed to genuinely care about his guests. It makes you feel very welcome.
•The serene, open-plan rooms with minimalistic interiors will exceed your high expectations: very spacious, incredible design, reasonably sized private pool, wonderful cabana, incredibly soft bed, and some of the best bathroom amenities that you will ever receive at a hotel.
•The resort has 2 restaurants on site: Cire offers contemporary Western-style cuisine while the more mellow Warung offers authentic Indonesian fare.

Cons:
Nevertheless, I do want to share with you some 'negative' points or things that you need to keep in mind when booking a room at Alila Uluwatu:
•The location of the resort is stunning, but you cannot see the sun set in the ocean (which somehow I had expected). The resort will be in the shade about 1 hour before sunset (at least, this is the case in the dry season).
•The famous view on the cliffs and ocean can only be enjoyed from the “sunset” cabana, not from the pool, nor from your room. The higher your room is located on the hill, the better the view but it will still not be an open view onto the ocean
•As said, the beach is wonderful but can only be reached by many steps and there is no service on offer. The last day, we found out that next door, there is a public beach club available in a similar spectacular setting where you can lounge on day beds. It would have been nice if we had known this from the beginning (so I would advise the hotel to make their guest aware of this option). Also keep in mind that the luxurious Bulgari hotel next door also has a similar beach (with a lift to beach and with a beach club, so this may be an option if you would like a setting like Alila but with beach club).
•Breakfast is served according to a very original concept (a daily changing, à la carte menu) and tastes delicious. Keep in mind though that when booking a room at Alila Uluwata, breakfast will mostly not be included in the room rate (it costs about 25 US dollar excluding 21% tax and service).
•Food at the Indonesian restaurant was excellent, but I was not impressed at all by their Western menu. They should work on that, and improve their Western food.

ALILA VILLA SOORI
Pros :
•Location, location, location : the hotel is located between beautiful rice fields and a marvelous wild black sand beach. Where else in Bali will you find this?
•Colors: the combination of the fresh green colour of the grass, the black colour of the sand, and the blue color of the ocean was a visual delight.
•Sounds: the non-stop crashing of the very rough waves will sound like music to your ears (but can also keep you awake at night, so bring ear plugs)
•The hotel feels uber-luxurious with grand yet intimate public spaces
•The service is topnotch: everybody will serve you with a smile.
•The spa is the best I encountered in Bali: the spa itself displays a wonderful atmosphere, with beautiful, darkened treatment rooms. The therapists are very skilled. And frankly, the treatments were not too expensive.
•The food is delicious & memorable (and better than the food at its sister hotel in Uluwatu)
•The rooms are beautifully appointed (although less luxurious than the rooms at Uluwatu), and each room comes with a private pool. Bed is very soft.

Cons:
•While the ocean-front setting is spectacular, is it true that the location is pretty isolated (45 minutes from Seminyak, and 90 minutes from Ubud). But I consider this to be an advantage rather than a disadvantage. It is the ideal hotel to chill for a day of 3 and do absolutely nothing (except for beach walks as well as walks in neighboring rice fields).
•Because of its isolated location, excursions always involves long transfer. But frankly, why bother with a day trip to Ubud (2 x 90 minutes transfer) while staying at this hotel: just visit Ubud first (and stay at the Como Shambhala Estate) and then proceed to this hotel.
•Stay in an ocean room and not in a beach room (beach rooms lack sunlight on their terrace since they are located below the ocean rooms).
•I missed a hot tube at the property (near the main pool)
•I would prefer that the room rates would be inclusive of breakfast
I am amazed you rave about Alila given all the negatives you cite. I agree with the negatives, certainly, but overall think that Alila is highly overrated. Do you really think that the architectural style of Uluwatu will survive another 5-10 years? I don't. The Amans, on the other hand, have flourished for over 20 years and still feel fresh. I doubt very much if Alila will be able to do the same.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
I am at the Soori right now and it is as good as ever, even better than that. Can only speak for this Alila property but in my view, Alila Soori is highly underrated.

I share all sentiments tLTE voiced but find his cons strong pros. The remoteness of Soori is just great for repeat guests to Bali who seek relaxation in an Aman-like but modern atmosphere. Just take a guided Segway tour through the surrounding villages and rice fields and one can enjoy the beauty of true Bali far away from the craziness of Kuta and surroundings. The hotel food is so good and has great variety that there is no need to leave the property except for tours.

All the resort offerings like service, staff, amenities, cultural tour offerings, food, atmosphere and aesthetics easily match that of the Amans right now (in a more modern way), even exceed them in some areas (i.e. butler service) though lack only very few (no sign policy for expenses). Soori is one of the very few properties that can easily stand up to Aman standards. It is hard to fault them of any lapses as there were none so far.

By taking the favourable economics into account (much cheaper room rates than at the Amans) Soori has reconfirmed to me that it is my fav resort worldwide. Well done, hats off !

Will add more info and pics after my return home.

Last edited by ngfan; Mar 8, 2014 at 7:58 pm
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ngfan, great to hear re service/food. soori has beachfront villas like legian
and new http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruis...t-1750-nt.html (now $2125/nt) to >
6-nt Raja Ampat / 6-nt Bali, Lombok, Gili Islands / 6-nt Komodo
whereas aman is currently charter only at 2.4X to 2.9X that rate >
$6229/nt 7-nt raja ampat & $5160/nt 5-nt komodo (aman thread)

deer, xracer, Ozchinois also very positive re soori earlier in thread
alila founders background > http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post22205845
not virtuoso, but benefits via visa, and soon GHA > (link)
soori 2nd nt free and cheap/free helicopter transfer > (link)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 18, 2014 at 9:25 pm
Old May 13, 2014, 7:28 am
Suspended

I am currently staying at Villa Anugrah in Uluwatu and its stunning! The sunsets, a huge pool, private pools in two rooms. It is simply spectacular!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
I stayed at Alila Uluwatu just over a year ago for my honeymoon. My wife and I found it to be spectacular in all areas especially the architecture and design as well as service.

That said we have never stayed at an Aman, which seems to be the benchmark.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:08 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Nizar
I stayed at Alila Uluwatu just over a year ago for my honeymoon. My wife and I found it to be spectacular in all areas especially the architecture and design as well as service.

That said we have never stayed at an Aman, which seems to be the benchmark.
Plan to visit (or stay) at Uluwatu on my next trip in April, but I did get the chance to visit Soori. It has a gorgeous (if out of the way) location, but the place itself didn't impress me as much as the Amans did. Having said that, I think I'd still enjoy staying there. Their spa, in particular, looks incredible, and something the Amans in Bali cannot yet match (at least Amandari and Amanusa).

I'm looking forward to Alila Uluwatu, which I hear is nicer than Soori.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

alila purnama new itineraries, under $3K/nt including unlimited diving

http://www.alilahotels.com/purnama/rates

http://www.alilahotels.com/purnama/d.../maumere-ambon
Maumere – Ambon 11-day 10-night
29 Sep 2015 – 9 Oct 2015
banda and >
Dive in the straits of Alor, rated as one of the best dive destinations in the world, offering sightings of big fish such as white tips, grey reef sharks, tuna, grouper, manta rays, whale sharks and pilot whales.

http://www.alilahotels.com/purnama/d...mbon-rajaampat
Ambon - Raja Ampat 8-day 7-night
13 Oct 2015 – 20 Oct 2015

wonder what the boat does the 3 nights in between
will be interesting to see if they do more in future

normal Raja Ampat itinerary is 6 night round trip from Sorong
http://www.alilahotels.com/documents...expedition.pdf

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 10, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.