Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Trip Report (CA/LV): Cass House Inn, Four Seasons San Francisco, Mandarin Oriental LV

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report (CA/LV): Cass House Inn, Four Seasons San Francisco, Mandarin Oriental LV

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

My thanks to those on this board and others whose posts and insights helped me to plan our trip. While the vast majority of the report covers our accommodations, I do have minor commentary re: restaurants, flights/car rental, and excursions. Most of this side information is in the beginning, so you may want to fast forward to get to the main hotel information.

CALIFORNIA

Since my husband and I have never been to California, we used a work conference in Las Vegas as an excuse to spend two quick days on the west coast. Of course this was not nearly long enough to soak it in, but a decent first glimpse for future travel plans.

Flights/SFO: No problems with flights on our first day, except the fact that we had to get up at 3:30am to catch our flight in VA, so we were quite tired on arrival. We flew Delta, on a 757 with a seating configuration similar to this one (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Del..._757-200_A.php). In row 16 (B&C) we had plenty of leg room, but felt sorry for our seatmate in A with the protruding slide from the exit door. This is mentioned on seat guru, but that detail was even more noticeable and cumbersome than I expected. It was a long flight, making us glad we used miles to upgrade our return out of LAS later in the week.

Car Rental/Enterprise: For the car rental, we had two different reservations, one of us with a convertible in case of fantastic weather and the other in a regular car. Over the phone prior to the trip, the company said this was fine to lock in rates and we could cancel the other vehicle upon arrival. Since the weather was cool and rainy, we went with the regular car. That day the Enterprise lot was like a used car dealership trying to get you to buy up models. We were interested in upgrading per their offer, but our representative kept having to go back and forth to ask his “superior” for the rate and availability as we walked the lot. After we confirmed interest when he mentioned a Mercedes that was sporty with a sunroof for the coast drive, the price suddenly went up from what he originally quoted us. When we backed down and said we would go back to our original vehicle since the price changed - suddenly he was willing to “double check” and it went back down! It is a good thing I keep written records since the $30 upgrade charge quoted for the entire reservation jumped to $80 on the final invoice when we returned the car; as soon as we mentioned the discrepancy it was reluctantly corrected. I usually book with Enterprise, even when the rates are higher, so we do not have to be on alert to such bait and switch tactics. In the end we loved the sporty car we rented, but this was a long and laborious way to start the trip since it took nearly an hour to get our bags and a car.

Brunch at The Village Pub (Woodside, CA): We loaded up the car and headed south toward the John Steinbeck Center. I researched restaurants on chowhound.com to find something south of the airport for brunch along the way. The Village Pub was a perfect introduction to the delicious food I was expecting in California (FYI: it is not a “pub” and has more of a fine dining atmosphere). The meal was a welcome respite after being awake and traveling for twelve hours. Highlights: strawberries with cream or yogurt and the “Crispy Cinnamon French Toast / Dulce de Leche” - oh my! This dish was fantastic. Our waiter explained that they soak the break overnight in custard, and I believe it. It was rich and decadent, browned on both sides with dulce de leche underneath the toast. It rivaled the Crčme Brűlée French toast we love at a small inn near Cincinnati. My salmon cake was just okay, but we would return for that French toast. Service was timely and we met a friendly local when she struck up conversation with us after hearing our exchange with the waiter.

John Steinbeck Center: Where to begin...what a disappointment! I would recommend buying another book rather than wasting $20 for two tickets. After reading and enjoying East of Eden earlier this year, I thought the Steinbeck Center would be an interesting way to learn more about the author. Unfortunately the center is set up with cheesy sets and props that make it feel more like a campy theme park interaction than museum. Several areas have multiple audio clips and music playing simultaneously when people press buttons in the vicinity. It can sound very chaotic. I could not help but think such a Pulitzer-Prize winning author might be disappointed to see t-shirts in his namesake gift shop missing proper punctuation (a period was missing on a t-shirt quote, but the same quote was corrected on a tote bag); and tween best-sellers (the Twilight series) being peddled alongside his life’s work. Strange indeed. A biography, or possibly even a Wikipedia article, could educate you about the author without the $20 price tag and hokey sets.

Cayucos, CA: We continued the drive south, which was more picturesque that I expected considering we were not on the coast. Shortly before we arrived in Cayucos, we pulled over to savor a rainbow that stretched across the road. Beautiful. Since we had time to spare when we did arrive, we walked across the street beyond a skate park to the pier. Just in time for sunset, we marveled at the west coast scenery and I dipped a toe into the frigid water before walking back over to the inn.

Cass House Inn - Accommodations:

Our room had a lovely cheese tray upon arrival and we were offered a glass of wine. We stayed in the upstairs Captain’s Room, but I believe they have at least one guest room on the main floor if stairs are a problem for guests. I have grown to expect room sizes to be quaint in an historic home, which was accurate at this inn.

The queen bed was fitted with high quality sheets, though I prefer the trend in the industry to use duvets or triple sheeting over the top blanket so that the same comforter is not used in between guests. For all I know Cass House may have multiple red quilts that they wash between each stay, but when I see a thick quilt or comforter, my mind wonders who else has been sleeping with it, but that is merely a personal preference. The bed was very comfortable and the other linens - both in the bedroom and bath - were plush and soft.

The bathroom has been renovated to include a separate shower and large soaking tub. The pedestal sink can make juggling a hair dryer, straightener, and toiletries a clumsy adventure, but the owners wisely installed a shelf above the sink and there is a small table next to the tub to help store items.

The room was well appointed with a flat-screen television, telephone, WIFI, bathrobes, complimentary bottles of both sparkling and still water in the mini fridge, and a coffee maker in the hallway. A travel-sized iron and mini ironing board were in a closet with wooden hangers. The iron and ironing board were a let down at this price point and something that I hope is upgraded in time. Housekeeping was above par, but not perfect. There were a few dust bunnies near the bed and walls, but otherwise things were in good order.

By the time we made it upstairs after dinner, we were exhausted. Having been up for almost twenty-one hours, it was well past our bed time. The only hiccup in the evening was when we woke to the blaring sound of fire alarms after we settled off to sleep. Once we adjusted to the initial shock, we were able to get our bearings and throw on suitable clothes/shoes. We learned that a false alarm in the kitchen tripped all the alarms in the house. Everything was fine, but it did take some time to fall back asleep after all that adrenaline!

The room was pleasant and met my expectations based on what I read before our trip. Since previous reviews make mention of the location, I will throw in my comments. Yes, the inn is located on a main street, but with the windows closed and white noise from our computer playing in the background, this fact did not affect our sleep at all. (And I am a very light sleeper.) I also read a review that mentioned the noise from a trash pick-up truck in morning; while it was quite loud, we were already awake. I do not expect any establishment to be held responsible for noises outside of their control. Knowing that the inn is on a main street and that trash pick-up occurs early in the morning may help adjust guest expectations, but I would not let these details determine whether or not you choose to frequent the inn.

Our interactions with front desk staff were nothing but positive. Cass House is very respectful of guest privacy. Like a fine hotel, they make themselves available should you need anything, but are not intrusive. Other establishments their size could learn from this example. They seem to have mastered the art of providing personalized service at a small property while giving guests the opportunity to remain anonymous and enjoy their vacation.

Considering the lack of a lounge or living area, the rooms seem best suited for guests making short stays and/or enjoying dinner at the inn. With the amazing food (reviews to follow), I would recommend staying at Cass House Inn if you are interested in dinner. The food was the best we have experienced in over twenty visits to small inns/bed and breakfast establishments, but the room itself was slightly above average.

A final highlight was the exterior of the inn. The gardens and grounds are meticulously manicured with a wide variety of vegetation, sculptures, seating (including some chairs around a fire pit), and a fountain. I would have loved to spend more time enjoying the beauty outside the walls had time permitted.

Cass House Inn - Dinner:

One of the reasons we chose the Cass House was because I read about their chef and his connection to the Slow Food movement. Based on our meal, the praise I read was much deserved. The service was informative and pleasant. While the food (especially the complimentary chef’s courses) stretched us out of our comfort zone at times, it was a night to remember. I read a few negative comments about the portion sizes and patrons leaving hungry in online reviews, but if our meal is the norm, the previous diners must have super-sized stomachs. We had to leave food on our plates in order to pace ourselves to enjoy the full meal, and even then we passed the normal point of satiety by the end of the evening.

For those interested in food specifics:
  • Gold Potato-Garden Allium Veloute (potato brunoise, celery, fennel, umbrian truffle batons, leek coulis, fine herbs)
  • Market Salad (Market heirloom tomatoes, burrata, lemon cucumbers, icicle radish, preserved lemon, garden basil, fleur de sel, robbins family ascolano olive oil)
  • Wild Fruits and Tubers (smoked chevre-duxelle ravioli, sauteed wild mushrooms, garden leeks, umbrian summer truffles, coyote ridge ranch quail egg, truffled-mushroom sauce)
  • Penn Cove Clams and Mussels (cass house aged berkshire panctta, garlic toast, garden chive cream, market collads, shaved garden fennel, papillon frites)
  • Dixon Lamb (braised shoulder, herb roasted loin, pommes gratin, garden carrots and fava greens, pearl onions, swiss chard sprouts, lamb glace
  • Mishima Wagyu Beef (oxtail tortellini, garden tomatoes, arugula, fried shallot rings, grilled scallions, carmalized cippolini, truffle butter, sauce perigueux)
  • One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer (see canyon apple-bourbon beignet, butterscotch-saffron panna cotta, black sesame seed ice cream, stout foam)
  • Dark Chocolate Mousse (chocolate ganache, milk chocolate creme chantilly, peanut butter dust, chocolate shortbread)

Not all of the dishes were “wow” worthy, but that was more due to personal taste preferences than anything specific lacking on the plate. Overall, items were seasoned appropriately, plated beautifully, and the flavor combinations were spot on. As mentioned, there were multiple complimentary tastes in between the regular four courses; I wish I could recall the specifics as the waiter explained the ingredients in each offering, but my mental notes did not hold up over time. I continue to be shocked by reviews that use words like “overpriced” and complain about the portions. The four-course meal ends up being substantially more with the complimentary amuse-bouche offerings and at $62/person, it is quite a value considering the technical skill exhibited in the recipes and the flavorful ingredients. We hope to return in the future for dinner.

Cass House Inn - Breakfast:

My favorite breakfast. Not of our trip, but favorite period. And I do not say that lightly after editing a cookbook of regional inns several years ago. The fare is a testimony that simple dishes with the right ingredients and expert preparation can outshine complicated and sugar-laden indulgences.

Breakfast is served in the same dining room as dinner, at individual tables with white tablecloths and fine china. Fresh strawberries with homemade yogurt and granola are available for guests to help themselves along with coffee at a small table in the dining room. Warm and moist muffins follow, along with fresh squeezed orange juice. And this is no ordinary fresh-squeezed orange juice - it was as if someone had hand selected the most juicy, tart, and refreshing oranges. We have seen a lot of places advertise “fresh-squeezed orange juice” but after tasting the product we typically assume that their title referred to the factory mechanically squeezing the oranges prior to bottling and shipment. The orange juice we enjoyed at Cass House only confirms these assumptions. Their orange juice makes other juices with the same title taste like the old concentrate my dad mixed up in the morning when I was a kid. There is simply no comparison.

The main entree was an open-faced egg and ham sandwich. The bottom layer was a rectangular section of homemade bread, with a layer of real ham (no deli meat here), and a soft poached egg on top. I forgot to write it down, but it may have had cheese, herbs, and some type of sauce since there was a wonderful savoriness to the dish. This portion was quite small, but adequate. After finishing breakfast, guests are welcome to linger at the table. We chose to pack up and enjoy the coastal drive ahead of us.

Coastal Drive: We drove up Highway 1, stopping briefly to watch the sea lions near San Simeon and take in some sights.

Lunch at Sierra Mar/Post Ranch Inn:

We considered staying the second night at Post Ranch Inn instead of driving all the way into San Francisco that evening, but settled on lunch. During our meal thick fog rolled in, which was actually interesting to watch since we have never been on the west coast. Everything went from clear and beautiful views to thick fog in less than twenty minutes. By the time we finished lunch, it was rolling back out again.

The food and service were disappointing. The service was slow and absent at times, drinks were not refilled promptly. Our beverages, salad, and spring rolls were our least favorite orders while dining in California. Highlights were the view and the Sweet Corn Agnolotti with Chanterelle Mushrooms and Shaved Parmesan dish. I would not want to eat all my meals in this restaurant if we ever come back to stay overnight.

I am not sure I can add anything that has not already been covered on the boards in regards to the setting. Breathtaking. After lunch we took a tour with a delightful young man who showed us the property and a tree house interior. I wish I could recall the young man’s name, as he made such a positive impression for the inn. (Other staff interactions, such as two phone calls when we were considering an overnight stay and the lunch service did not reflect the same hospitality and professionalism.) His father worked closely with Bill Post in clearing the land and working the grounds from the beginning, we were entertained by his stories and perspective while riding together. The rooms were in better shape than I anticipated after reading some negative reviews. But I believe the real reason to come to Post Ranch Inn is for the exterior views and natural setting. (Their new website is a big improvement with better pictures and more detailed information.)

Coastal Drive: We continued our drive up Highway 1, taking in the Big Sur scenery and stopping to walk the beach and stroll through shops in Carmel. The day sped by quickly and I long to go back and spread the drive out over several days to take it all in again.

Car Service SFO to Four Seasons SF using DPM Transportation/415-819-7326: My thanks to the Flyertalk members who passed on DPM car service information. Our driver, one of the owners, was on-time and provided helpful information about the city during our transfer from the airport (where we dropped off the rental car) to the Four Seasons.

Four Seasons San Francisco - Room and Breakfast:

Thanks to DavidO we received an upgrade to a Deluxe Room, complimentary breakfast, and lunch. We did not partake of the complimentary lunch since we were exploring the city and breakfast was average. The room was clean with a comfortable bed, soft linens, spacious bathroom with separate shower, and a dedicated work area. I did not take pictures since the room was just as expected given the photos online and on their website.

Strange Experience at the Four Seasons:

I loved our trip out to California, but this is the one segment that I did not look forward to writing about when we returned. One of the reasons we chose this hotel was because I have read many reviews over the years about the unique level of service within Four Seasons properties. This trip provided an opportunity for us to become acquainted with the brand.

Unfortunately, our first impression was not as favorable as I had hoped in regards to some service on our first night. We had arranged car service privately, and when our driver pulled up to the covered transportation area, we were not greeted or offered assistance with our bags. This was not a significant problem since my husband keeps straps to tether the bags in the top pocket (which helped to get them inside without a cart), but it was surprising.

Thankfully, we were warmly greeted upstairs for check-in. After getting ourselves settled in the room, we went downstairs to go out for dinner. We had read about the courtesy car service (another reason we chose the hotel since we had dropped off the rental car) and asked the doorman if we could get a ride to dinner. He said it would be a twenty-minute wait, which was no problem, so we had a seat on the bench. He was not familiar with our restaurant, Nopalito, and when I mentioned it was on Broderick, he seemed ambivalent about taking us, so I explained that it was within their 3-mile radius. When the driver returned and we got in the car, it was clear in the doorman’s verbal and non-verbal communication to the driver that he seemed a bit put out at our destination. We were not sure why, so we just went ahead with our plans.

Upon arrival at the restaurant, the driver gave us the phone number to call for a return trip back to the hotel and gave us two names to ask for when we called; he recommended we call 10 to 20 minutes before we were ready to go. Partly because of the doorman’s behavior as we left, I made sure to tip the driver generously before we went into the restaurant.

Near the end of our meal, my husband called the number he was given. He was told that it was a busy night for taxi drivers and the courtesy car was therefore busy. (Being busy was understandable, we knew this service is first-come, first-served; this is why we did not mind waiting.) My husband said the wait was fine since we were enjoying the night out, even when he was told the car would not be available for at least an hour. The Four Seasons staff member then responded by saying they could not guarantee they could pick us at all and said we should get a taxi.

We got a taxi and the drive back to the hotel was considerably faster; it was less than ten minutes straight down Market via Fell and just over two miles, so I am not sure that the original driver was familiar with the route, which may be why it seemed out of the way to door man.

In conversation with the taxi driver, he mentioned what a slow night it was. This was a surprise given what we had been told by the Four Seasons staff member. Given this detail, and the sense we had earlier that the staff member seemed out of sorts, things just were not adding up. As soon as we arrived to the Four Seasons I picked up a lobby phone and called down to ask the wait for the courtesy car - a surprising twenty to twenty-five minutes. At this point we felt lied to by the staff member. There was neither an hour plus wait for a car, nor was it a busy night for taxis. If they did not want to provide service, they just should have said so in the first place.

I could not recall the name of the primary doorman my husband had been in communication with, so I immediately went to the front desk to ask to speak to a manager so that he/she would have an easier time figuring out who we interacted with that evening. The manager on duty that evening called me when he returned from his break. He listened to our experience; he apologized for the lack of assistance with our bags at the beginning of our stay. In regards to our experience that night, he explained that the courtesy car does not provide pick-up service. During a recent trip to Atlanta, we were at a different hotel with both drop-off and pick-up service, so I had assumed this was normal. (And another Four Seasons property we are visiting in December describes their service as running both directions.) I can appreciate if the policy is different in San Francisco, however we were given the phone number to call for pick-up by their personnel and were never told that they do not provide this service. Instead of telling us the story about the taxis having a busy night and the exceptionally long wait, the truth (that the car does not provide pick-up service) would have been a welcome piece of information. Instead we left our stay feeling like we received service that was much lower than what we had expected in a Four Seasons property, and that we had been lied to by a staff member. I continue to be baffled as to why the doorman did not just come out and tell us the facts from the beginning or refuse to drive us, instead of the strange experience we encountered.

On a positive note, the people working downstairs on our last day in the hotel were friendly and helpful. Our luggage was stored and we did receive assistance loading it when our car arrived for the airport. While the manager that night listened to our experience, I was not sure that he fully understood the gravity of how poorly this reflected upon the hotel as a first impression, so I sent a letter to the GM when we returned. After I completely an online survey that was sent to me and asked for the GM to contact me, he called to say that he received my letter and had sent a response (dated November 18) with an invitation to come back and enjoy lunch at the hotel. He asked where we live (near the east coast) and noted that it would be difficult for us to return for lunch. He responded, “We’ll just have to think of something else then,” as we closed the call. This seemed vague, and I had not heard back from him as of December 9th, so I called and spoke with his assistant. She called me back to offer lunch at the closest Four Seasons property to our home.

Based on what I have read about Four Seasons, I am hopeful that our experience is not the norm, but we will not choose the Four Seasons San Francisco again when our travels take us to the west coast. We have an upcoming trip to a different Four Seasons property this month and I look forward to giving the brand another try.

Dinner at Napalito: We were originally on the wait list at Gary Danko, but our name did not climb high enough with cancellations and we were too late driving back to the city to be there early for bar service, so we chose Napalito for a more casual evening. We sampled the carnitas, a housemade ginger lime beverage, and totopos con chile. The food was reminiscent of Nada in Cincinnati, but I would not go out of my way to visit if we are in SF again.

Lunch and Dinner at Zuni Cafe: The real highlight of our San Francisco excursion was our meals at Zuni Cafe. I have been learning how cook by going through the chef’s cookbook, so it was a real treat to be seated in view of the open kitchen and enjoy their creations. Lunch was sublime despite our simple order. Our selections were based on their most popular items: the infamous Caesar salad, a grass-fed burger with cheese, grilled onions and heirloom tomatoes, side of shoestring potatoes, and a strawberry meringue dessert. The meal was so flavorful that we came back for dinner and ordered a seasonal soup, a repeat of the infamous Caesar (it is that good) and their roasted chicken (which you can make better at home). Prior to dinner, we stood at the bar for drinks since no seats are at/under the bar counter. For a restaurant that is known for sourcing ingredients and cooking from scratch, their cocktails and bar service were abysmal. The bartender seemed more interested in talking to fellow employees than taking drink orders and looked at us like we had two heads when I asked for a cocktail menu. I ordered a Pimm’s Cup and watched (with surprise) as it was made with a shot of Pimm’s, a shot of generic gin, and topped with club soda. I asked for a few citrus slices to try and bring up the flavor. I am surprised with the current trends in mixology and the location in SF, that their bar is not serving craft cocktails. We will go to Zuni again for the food, but will leave the cocktail orders for another venue.

Afternoon in San Francisco: Our afternoon in between Zuni visits was spent exploring the city. We made it to the Ferry Building/Market, Grace Cathedral, Lombardy Street, rode the Trolley and Street cars to sightsee, and took a bus ride through China Town.

Car Service Four Seasons SF to SFO using Limo Noir/877-898-6647: We called DPM for a ride back to the airport and they were booked, so we did a Flyertalk board search for another car service recommendation. The Limo Noir owner personally picked us up after a scheduling conflict with their drivers, this was a treat since we were able to converse with him during the drive. He is a friendly and extroverted man who clearly loves life in America and building his businesses; we saved his card should we be in the area in the future. The car was spotless and his energetic personality made a lasting impression as we left SF.

Flight to LAS/Southwest: We are normally loyal Delta fliers, but could not beat the direct flight and low fare with Southwest to make the Las Vegas connection at the end of the day. With only nine passengers on the whole plane, I was thankful I did not pay extra for their early boarding buy-up options when we made the reservation. Everyone on the plane had their own row and service was friendly.

LAS VEGAS

Las Vegas Arrival/Transfer/Renaissance: What can I say? It’s Vegas. I had never been here before and only came along since we were tacking on the CA trip to a three-day conference in this unique city. We took a taxi to our hotel. The first night we had to spend at the Renaissance for work before we could make a switch. Thank goodness it was just one night. The rooms were small, dark, and to sum it up, I was looking forward to heading on the Mandarin Oriental in the morning.

Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas - Check-in/Accommodations:

Now this part of our trip accommodations I have been looking forward to sharing! It exceeded my expectations, and I cannot tell you how truly refreshing it was to stay here after a few disappointments in our travels. Anyone thinking about this hotel should read the thorough and picturesque post from last January by a Flyertalk member (“ether”): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...iew-video.html. It was spot-on and helpful as we made travel plans.

My thanks to DavidO for helping with our reservation and the wonderful amenities we received since he is a Virtuoso agent (upgrade from Mandarin Executive to the Premier Room, breakfast each morning, and a $100 spa credit). Our rate almost seemed too good to be true, especially when combined with their third-night free Vegas Fan promotion.

The MO LV made the best first impression in our travels to date in regards to the warmth and hospitality extended by the staff. From the arrival greeting, luggage assistance, early check-in, and visit by a friendly gentleman named JoJo - who dropped off some complimentary fruit and asked if we needed anything - the MO LV created a first-rate welcome.

It was not until later in the week strolling through other casinos (Aria, Venetian, Wynn, Encore, Palms, etc.) that I realized guests normally wait in long, chaotic lines to check-in to hotels on the strip. The MO was a welcome respite to return to each day, especially with the relaxing music piped into the rooms and elevators.

This is one hotel that seems to have truly thought of everything you might need in the rooms. Some highlights from the room that we enjoyed:
  • An in-room safe that is large enough to accommodate a laptop and includes a power port so electronics may charge while enclosed

• A flat screen television within the bathroom mirror
  • Valet door next to your room door where you can drop items off (i.e. shoes for shining) and pick up items (i.e. newspaper)
  • Handheld touch screen master remote that controls everything in the room: temperature, lights (which are all able to be dimmed), curtains, television, satellite music, room service, etc.

• Spacious bathroom with two sinks, vanity area, large soaking tub, shower, and a separate water closet with a third sink

• Fully stocked bar and snack area, and I mean fully stocked. Best part: Fever Tree products.

MO Housekeeping:

Housekeeping during our stay was excellent. I am admittedly a perfectionist and everything was immaculately clean and continued to be cleaned throughout our stay. At times morning service was considerably late in the day (closer to turndown), which was only noticeable on the days I had to get some work done in the room. In regards to turndown, it was pleasant to come back to a room with all the toiletries lined up, hairdryer cords wrapped, etc. Not since a Rosewood property visit in 2004 have we had such meticulous housekeeping service.

MO Breakfast:

After all the eating this week, I was craving something lighter and wrote in an option on the breakfast card, if possible. I asked for yogurt, a bowl of berries, and their homemade granola. Each day they accommodated this request with creative flair (changing up the presentation) and it was delicious. Their yogurt may be homemade since it was not the average sweetened goo served at other establishments for breakfast. My husband enjoyed his warm breakfast (depending on the day, it included eggs, waffles, home fries, and/or vegetables) and found it to be way ahead of the Four Seasons offering he had in San Francisco earlier in the week.

A previous post mentioned, “I actually had an incident with the MO breakfast benefit when I just ordered via room service...because it wasn't the ‘American Breakfast’, they said it didn't qualify for the benefit and wanted me to pay for it. Eventually took it off.” On our first night, I called to ask about requesting something lighter than the American Breakfast and was told the value of the breakfast we received as a Virtuoso benefit was interchangeable with other items on the menu. We had no issues with the bill; I am not sure if this was because we called first or because they have trained their staff since the original post I read.

MO Staff:

I could go on and on about the service and hospitality present in all the staff members we encountered at the MO. A few who stood out: the gentleman who checked us in (unfortunately I cannot remember his name), JoJo who delivered the fruit on the first day, Glenn who was downstairs at the door and transportation, and Daniel, who drove the courtesy car.

MO Transportation:

Speaking of the courtesy car, this is an unpublished amenity at the hotel that only operates during limited times of the day. In an earlier Four Seasons vs. Mandarin Oriental thread, I read, “House car at both properties offered proactively to clients if available.” But I never had anyone mention the car to me during our stay. I have read reviews of people using it for airport services, but I am assuming they worked something out with the concierge privately or had special privileges based on their suite. I was hesitant to request the service after what happened in San Francisco, and took taxis most of the week. One early evening when I needed to attend a meeting at the other end of the strip while traveling solo, so I asked Glenn if it was an option. Within minutes Daniel appeared and I thoroughly enjoyed talking with him during the drive as he shared about the area and the Mandarin Oriental. Like everyone we encountered at MO, his demeanor and hospitable attitude left a positive impression.

MO Minor Items:
  • The sheet situation is interesting as there is no flat sheet. The duvet is encased within a cover made of sheet material, but there is no separate flat sheet. At first we thought this was a housekeeping mistake and called to get a flat sheet when they turned down the room. An amiable woman stopped by our room with another set sheets, but explained that it was how they dress the bed. She said she came to the MO from the Four Seasons, so it was new to her too! She was willing to add a sheet, but we decided to go with it as is. It didn’t affect our sleep but was an interesting change to regular and/or triple sheeting.
  • One of the things that I admired about the MO prior to our stay was their use of Fever Tree products for cocktails, especially the tonic water. I try to avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup, and the Fever Tree products (made instead with cane sugar) add a clean taste to mixed drinks. Unfortunately it seems that the MO may be transitioning out of these items. The bartender said they are now using regular (aka HFCS) tonic and ginger ale, but he offered to go in the back and find some old Fever Tree products for me. They were in our room, so we were fine, but I hope they revisit this change in their main bar area. In a city full of stocked bars, it added a positive distinction to their offerings.
  • The printed in-room information books, hotel website, and spa brochure all have conflicting price information for spa services. They need to modify their marketing materials to reflect the same pricing information.
  • The elevators take a little getting used to, since you have to switch and ride two separate ones to get from the transportation lobby entrance to your room. I ended up bypassing the main lobby (23rd floor) elevators over time and instead went from the transportation entrance to the Mozen floor. The elevators there share a wall, so you just walk off, turn the corner and get on the other set of elevators to go up to your room.
  • I had a similar experience to this previous post, “The telephone issue, BTW, extends to the spa as well. Impossible to get a live person on the phone.” I had difficulty getting through to the spa as well, and ended up just going down to the spa to schedule an appointment for the next day.
  • View/City Center: Our view was not a standard strip view, but was mostly of City Center and Planet Hollywood. There was some noise during the day from a concert/stereo playing outside (just as “ether” mentioned), but otherwise the room was quiet. Previous posts of City Center being a concrete maze of sorts are correct. It is much easier to stroll other sections of the strip, as the City Center walkways make you go up, down, and all around (or through the mall) depending on where you are headed.
  • Ambient/electrical lights: If you prefer to sleep in the dark, you will need to be armed with extra t-shirts and socks to cover the plethora of lights that beam from all the electrical equipment even when the lights are out. The best bet to cover the large light switch pad in the entry is to set the ironing board vertically against the wall.
  • While we enjoyed the comfort and technology in the room, the interior design/decor was nothing memorable or impressive.
  • The shower water pressure was not particularly strong, I read somewhere that this is connected to their “green” initiatives. Such green efforts seem a bit out of place considering the amount of water running in the spa - two sinks ran for almost an hour during my Hammam treatment, even when not in use (they were kept on as relaxing background noise, I assume).
  • AT&T: Like a Flytertalk member (“jeffreyt”) experience last January, I had phone connection problems during the stay; the best place to talk was next to the window, which is too far from the desk if you are trying to work.

MO Lunch at Mozen Bistro:

This was my favorite lunch in Vegas. If I could do the trip over again, I would eat there for lunch every day since dining elsewhere involved excursions and mediocre food. Service was very good and the curry dish I ordered with basmati rice (Murgh Mukhani) was flavorful. It was expensive for lunch, but this is also Vegas. Only possible downside is a lack of a nice view outside or activity going on around you while you eat, if you are looking for that on the strip.

Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas - Spa:

This was my first “spa” experience, so I am not sure how my opinion will hold up in relation to what is common in the industry. I will try to keep my comments brief, since fellow flyertalk member, “ether”, included a thorough and picturesque description of the spa in his earlier post.

I scheduled my services first thing in the morning, which meant that prior to my treatments I saw only one person while using the common areas and it was quiet and relaxing. After my treatments, there were more people and specifically a boisterous small group of women; you could no longer hear the music and the calm atmosphere was noticeably changed. In addition, tours of the area for new guests were plentiful. Short of limiting when people check-in for services, I do not believe this is something within the control of the spa but something to be mindful of when scheduling your appointments.

My treatments were relaxing (aromatherapy massage and Hammam exfoliation treatment). The Hammam room - like most of the spa - is a white marble oasis.

My favorite common areas included the Tepidarium chairs with a view overlooking the strip and the heated vitality pool with submerged heated loungers. The personal experience showers were very brief timed interludes of water/light/music and seemed more gimmick than relaxing. I did not use the steam room, sauna, or ice fountain.

The lockers, showers, and vanity areas were well stocked and guests are given a make-up bag with additional toiletries at check-in. The only downside is that refreshments are limited to water, tea, and a few apples and bananas are on the counter. I asked if anything else was available, and was told no. This meant that I concluded my visit earlier than I would have liked since I was getting hungry for lunch. I would have welcomed the option of a quick, healthy lunch while at the spa.

One of the things I was most impressed with during my use of the spa was the cleanliness. (This was my biggest apprehension about using a spa, and why I normally frequent private practices to receive massage therapy.) I never encountered even a stray hair. I am not sure how they keep everything so pristine in between guests, but housekeeping was certainly top notch during my visit.

Bill/Gratuity: After you are ready to depart, you are escorted to the spa boutique to pay the bill. The gratuity is not automatically added, but there are sections of your bill for you to write in an amount for various staff members. While I like being able to pay for gratuity personally based on the service/performance, it was a bit confusing to know what to do since there was a long list of people mentioned. I am used to adding a flat 18-20% for the point-of-service providers, but had to think through who the bill was referring to in some sections (“spa host”, concierge, etc.). I am not sure what the norm is in this type of situation since it did not seem fair to just split the 20% across all staff members.

Several reviews balked at the prices charged by the spa, but considering the atmosphere, service, and amenities, I thought the price seemed reasonable when using the Virtuoso spa credit.

Other Las Vegas Meals/Experiences:

Sage: We went to Sage based on recent reviews, and I was a underwhelmed in light of the praise. Cocktails were fine, but we are admittedly spoiled by a mixologist in our town who makes craft cocktails from scratch. I was surprised that a restaurant and bar with this reputation is using standard tonic water with high fructose corn syrup instead of Fever Tree or Q Tonic products.

I ordered the Sunchoke and Mushroom Risotto with Butternut Squash, Pumpkin Seeds, and Lobster Mushrooms, which was okay but not memorable; a similar response was exchanged with my fellow diner about his steak entree and the same was true in regards to our soup course. Highlights were the service (friendly and informative) and bread (though I do not usually pay attention, it was especially flavorful). Our two desserts were noteworthy: Winter Spice Cake Doughnut Holes with Vanilla Milkshake and Fresh Cranberry Sauce, and the Chocolate Ganache and Caramel Tart with Candied Walnut Bombe and Valrhona Chocolate Sauce.

It looks like the menu has expanded some since our visit, maybe we just did not choose wisely. I would recommend following specific dish recommendations from other commenters or arranging a chef's tasting based on your preferences to avoid a disappointing experience.

Jean Philippe and Bouchon Bakery: I picked up pastries from both of these bakeries to take back to the room. The chocolate croissants from both places were piped with average chocolate and tasted more like something from a grocery store versus a professional bakery. We did not finish the red velvet cupcake and epi bread from Bouchon Bakery either due to the taste. (If I am consuming the calories, I want it to be worth it!) Maybe we ordered items that were actually past their prime in the case. I have heard praise about Bouchon’s restaurant serving breakfast, and will try that instead of the pastry case site on a future trip.

Mesa Grill: After watching Bobby Flay on the Food Network over the years, I was hoping for a remarkable lunch. The Tomato Soup with Charred Corn, Blue Corn Tortillas, Avocado, and Queso Fresco and the Smoke Chicken and Black Bean Quesadilla with Avocado and Toasted Garlic Creme Fraiche dishes were average.

Nove Italiano (Palm): We went with a large group and sampled various dishes. The table we were at was in a separate room with an amazing view. Otherwise, the main dining room is quite loud for conversation. Highlights: Salumi/Prosciutto appetizer (cured meats, olives, parmigiano cheese, walnut pesto, red pizza) and Death by Potatoes side dish. Other diners seem to enjoy the Federal Hill Calamari (banana peppers, lemon), Shrimp Francaise, and the build-your-own cannoli dessert, but I did not sample these. Okay: Filet with “8-year old Balsamico” and Dover Sole. Completely lackluster: Ravioli (ricotta, walnut pesto, tomato sauce) and gelato.

Show - Garth Brooks concert:
A special evening with just Garth, his guitar, and a stool. While I wish he had played more of his songs and less of the 60s/70s, we liked the show and his storytelling throughout the evening. Trisha Yearwood's performance was a bonus. Towards the end of the night, when a child with special needs asked him to sign a hat, Garth instead took off his guitar, signed it, and handed it over; I don’t think there was a dry eye in the house.

Flights/Delta: Our return flights were unremarkable, in large part due to the use of miles to upgrade to more comfortable seats.

Last edited by umbrella007; Dec 10, 2010 at 7:56 am
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
What an excellent and detailed report.!!
I feel I actually was in your trip!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some very impressive details, incl references to other posts and great pics ^

Originally Posted by umbrella007
Not since a Rosewood property visit in 2004 have we had such meticulous housekeeping service.
jumby bay i presume? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post15272843

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 9, 2010 at 5:53 pm
Old Dec 9, 2010, 5:47 pm

Thanks for the detail in the report! ^
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Yes, it was Jumby Bay back in 2004, though I heard a lot has changed with the renovations, so we haven't made it back. I look forward to reading about luxury's upcoming site inspection.

Last edited by umbrella007; Dec 10, 2010 at 5:22 am
Old Dec 10, 2010, 6:13 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Thank you Umbrella! What an enjoyable read.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 6:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Excellent report! Thanks, umbrella007.

Lunch at Sierra Mar/Post Ranch Inn:
The food and service were disappointing. The service was slow and absent at times, drinks were not refilled promptly.
This restaurant is vastly overrated and a tourist trap. Amateurish service and disappointing food. Not surprising given the lack of competition in the area. The views are stunning though.

Lunch and Dinner at Zuni Cafe: their roasted chicken (which you can make better at home).
Their roasted chicken is a joke at $48. And don't forget the bread salad that comes along with it: a pile of bread cubes tossed in oil. Wow, such an exceptional display of culinary technique! Seriously, the chicken is no better than the rotisserie chicken at Costco for $4.99.

Bouchon Bakery: We did not finish the red velvet cupcake and epi bread from Bouchon Bakery either due to the taste. (If I am consuming the calories, I want it to be worth it!) Maybe we ordered items that were actually past their prime in the case. I have heard praise about Bouchon’s restaurant serving breakfast, and will try that instead of the pastry case site on a future trip.
You're not missing out on much. Bouchon Bakery makes very medicore pastries: overly unctuous, doughy, insipidly sweet, and lacking finesse. Their macarons could double as a puck and survive a three period ice hockey game with its durability. I drove by Yountville a couple of weeks ago and I was flummoxed to see there was a long queue forming outside of at least 15 people (no doubt clueless tourists mesmerized by the Thomas Keller name, not unlike the phenomenon you would see outside Pierre Hermé in Saint Germain des Prés.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Amazing review! Thanks for sharing
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by francophile
Pierre Hermé in Saint Germain des Prés.
Dunno about Paris, but Pierre Herme in Tokyo makes the best macarons I've ever had.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:19 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for the great and detailed review. ^

I am currently at the MOLV so I will check out the car service tomorrow. You learn something new every day.

[*]The sheet situation is interesting as there is no flat sheet. The duvet is encased within a cover made of sheet material, but there is no separate flat sheet. At first we thought this was a housekeeping mistake and called to get a flat sheet when they turned down the room. An amiable woman stopped by our room with another set sheets, but explained that it was how they dress the bed. She said she came to the MO from the Four Seasons, so it was new to her too! She was willing to add a sheet, but we decided to go with it as is. It didn’t affect our sleep but was an interesting change to regular and/or triple sheeting.
You made me smile here. The fast majority of countries doesn't use a flat sheet as part of the bed covers. The US is one of the few places where you often get this unhygienic combo of blankets and a white sheet. Many good luxury hotels will do it like the MO and how you will often find it in Aisia/Europe/Australia: A duvet completely covered in the same lining as your pillow (I am actually surprised the FS didn't do it this way).
In those countries most private households will use duvet cases rather than sheets as well, not just hotels.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

francophile: I thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments regarding several of the restaurants. It is always nice to know I am not alone when being disappointed with establishments that seem to get a lot of praise.

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
You made me smile here. The fast majority of countries doesn't use a flat sheet as part of the bed covers. The US is one of the few places where you often get this unhygienic combo of blankets and a white sheet. Many good luxury hotels will do it like the MO and how you will often find it in Aisia/Europe/Australia: A duvet completely covered in the same lining as your pillow (I am actually surprised the FS didn't do it this way).
In those countries most private households will use duvet cases rather than sheets as well, not just hotels.
DownUnderFlyer: I'm learning something new every day. That is very interesting...I guess it is obvious I have yet to cross over the Atlantic or Pacific! I am hopeful 2011 will bring us a chance to explore one direction or the other. In the meantime, I love learning from other flyertalk members. Thanks!

In other news, we made our trip to another Four Seasons this past week (Jackson Hole). The difference in service was almost unbelievable when compared to the San Francisco Four Seasons (which was extremely disappointing). I never would have guessed they were part of the same organization. I'll include comments on our JH stay in a relevant thread somewhere else on this board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.